Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Chainsaw

Suspended
Coffee Brew?

I remember Molson had a decent brew called "kick" it had that rain forest Guarana in it. Was actually, not too bad, the caffeine buzz was like "wow". I think Mill street has a decent coffee brew, and it's in a retro bottle. ;)

Carling light (in the new bottles,tastes better) is about all a working stiff like me can afford. I don't put on airs unless theres a broad in the room.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Chalk up another vote for Kostritzer! Discovered it at a fabulous German place here in Tampa a couple years back. We're now regulars there, and our server doesn't even bother asking what we want anymore, though he does make suggestions from time to time. I also enjoy the occasional Blue Moon when I want something a little lighter.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Having my beer from a can tonight. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Russian Imperial Stout. Goes great with chocolate ice cream.

tenfidy.jpg

(For illustration purposes only-- not my picture.)

I have had a number of Russian Imperial Stouts they tend to be really something. One thing the picture made me think of was a recent article about how more brewers were presenting their best brews in cans now. Since they can't get the light struck flavor thru aluminum and that they have less problems with oxidation. I am not sure if it was a recent improvement in canning technology but canned micro brews are coming onboard.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
more brewers were presenting their best brews in cans now. Since they can't get the light struck flavor thru aluminum and that they have less problems with oxidation. I am not sure if it was a recent improvement in canning technology but canned micro brews are coming onboard.
Interesting....I've yet to see this.

dnjan

One Too Many
Cans lead to lower shipping rates, easier recycling (recycling glass is in reality mostly a nuisance since it seems that it is mostly just homebrewers that actually re-use bottles), and easier to take good beer on a camping/canoe trip - the empties crush down for carrying back out.

I don't remember the specific brands but I do recall seeing more specialty beers in cans at Beverages and More (BevMo) on a recent trip. Got to admit the weight difference between cans and bottles should hold down shipping costs.

PoohBang

Suspended
I've bought both cans and bottles for one particular ale. Moose Drool Brown Ale.

I noticed a big difference in taste between the cans and bottles. The cans had a metallic tastes where as the bottles tasted like the ale should.

Now, because of the taste from the cans I tried pouring it into a glass, glass and it tasted as it should although I felt it was a bit flatter than the bottles.

Cans are fine for piss beer like Bud and Miller, but if you're buying beer for actual taste, I'd suggest bottles or get it on draft.

rumblefish

One Too Many
PoohBang said:
I noticed a big difference in taste between the cans and bottles. The cans had a metallic tastes where as the bottles tasted like the ale should.

Now, because of the taste from the cans I tried pouring it into a glass, glass and it tasted as it should although I felt it was a bit flatter than the bottles.

You drank it out of the can? :eek:

Most beers will benefit from being poured into a glass, the release of CO2 tends to smooth out the flavor making it a little less acidic and makes the beer easier to drink. These days tap beer in the US is often overcarbonated and served way too cold. If you get a chance to try a nice ale at cellar temps and pulled thru a beer engine you get and idea as to how it's to be served in a traditional manner. It changes the character of the beer a lot.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
If you get a chance to try a nice ale at cellar temps and pulled thru a beer engine you get and idea as to how it's to be served in a traditional manner. It changes the character of the beer a lot.
True but unfortunately I've never acquired the taste; To my palate it's just warm and flat. [huh]

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Regarding good beer coming in cans. I knew I had seen an article on this topic.
"aluminum beverage cans—whether Fat Tire, Budweiser, or Mountain Dew—are lined with a thin, food-grade polymer coating, which means the beer never touches metal.."

from this article:
http://www.chow.com/stories/11348

PoohBang

Suspended
rumblefish said:
You drank it out of the can? :eek:

that's the reason they put a pull top on the cans with a hole that's the same size as a normal persons mouth... to drink it from.... ie: they make it so people don't have to pour it in a glass.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
PoohBang said:
that's the reason they put a pull top on the cans with a hole that's the same size as a normal persons mouth... to drink it from.... ie: they make it so people don't have to pour it in a glass.

My reaction to this was the same as that of Jeeves on hearing that poet Rockmatteller wears his pyjamas until about 2 in the afternoon.....
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chainsaw

Suspended
John in Covina said:
I have had a number of Russian Imperial Stouts they tend to be really something. One thing the picture made me think of was a recent article about how more brewers were presenting their best brews in cans now. Since they can't get the light struck flavor thru aluminum and that they have less problems with oxidation. I am not sure if it was a recent improvement in canning technology but canned micro brews are coming onboard.

I believe drinking beer from a can is sacrilege. It gives me heart burn.

The only reason a person should drink beer from a can is so that they may burn them in the fire when they are done. So as to not pollute the environment with broken glass.

If you want something good, try Polish beer. Gold winners every time!;)

http://bestuff.com/stuff/tyskie

rumblefish

One Too Many
More Coffee in Beer.

Founders Kentucky Breakfast. I had it at the LI beer Festival, on tap- Impressive. Coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels. My Best in Show.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24