Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GREAT BRITISH DUFFEL COAT thread

I know this post is useless without pictures..and I will try to get on it...

Just received a gloverall "Limited Edition" "Monty" Duffel coat. It doesn't have the "standard military" sizing used on the WW II vintage coats...so I can't compare it to a size 1 etc. It's labeled as a "Large".
Really a great coat.
Definitely oversized. I could wear a uniform coat and sweater under it..but the size is one reason I like it.
(I take a size 44 R mens jacket..stand 5'9", 185#)
Basically fits me like how it fits Monty on the photos you see of him wearing it...(contained in this montage of photos from the glogverall site)

http://gloverall.com/history-sub?id=10

I suspect smaller sizes would fit me fine also...must more "fitted".
Wonderful "forgiving" design.

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see your Gloverall "Monty"!

On a side note: I've looked through the photographs you linked, and I'd swear to have seen at least two exemples of buttons used instead of toggles (in the photo of the sailors "taking a break with a glass of mild": the two guys on the right, with unclosed dufflecoats showing buttonholes; and in the photo of the female despatch rider: the dufflecoat worn by the lady seems buttoned, while the officer's one has toggles...)

were these another official variant, or some personal, tailor-made modify?
(e.g. substituting worn out cords and toggles with buttons...)

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Italian-wiseguy said:
On a side note: I've looked through the photographs you linked, and I'd swear to have seen at least two exemples of buttons used instead of toggles (in the photo of the sailors "taking a break with a glass of mild": the two guys on the right, with unclosed dufflecoats showing buttonholes; and in the photo of the female despatch rider: the dufflecoat worn by the lady seems buttoned, while the officer's one has toggles...)

were these another official variant, or some personal, tailor-made modify?
(e.g. substituting worn out cords and toggles with buttons...)
I posted a photo a couple posts back which shows four officers or petty officers sitting inside wearing duffle coats - three have button closures instead of toggles. I suspect it was probably a short-lived cost savings variation, or something like that. During wartime governments are always trying to cut costs so they can produce more, more, more.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Jeff M said:
I know this post is useless without pictures..and I will try to get on it...

Just received a gloverall "Limited Edition" "Monty" Duffel coat. It doesn't have the "standard military" sizing used on the WW II vintage coats...so I can't compare it to a size 1 etc. It's labeled as a "Large".
Really a great coat.
Definitely oversized. I could wear a uniform coat and sweater under it..but the size is one reason I like it.
(I take a size 44 R mens jacket..stand 5'9", 185#)
Basically fits me like how it fits Monty on the photos you see of him wearing it...(contained in this montage of photos from the glogverall site)

I suspect smaller sizes would fit me fine also...must more "fitted".
Wonderful "forgiving" design.
Would you take some measurements of your coat and post them, please?

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I'm loving this thread, lots of infos and pics. I own a Royal Navy duffel - my specimen has three toggles, lacks the legs straps and the snaps on the hood. Anyone knows the reason for this? Is it perhaps some earlier model? Also, I'm wondering how many sizes they used to make. Mine is a size3 and I could build up a tent with it.....

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
DerekTolfree-HMSWestminster.jpg

Here's a young officer on North Sea convoys in mid-war years, on HMS Westminster.

irow

New in Town
so i read through the whole thread, some questions now.

1) what are some brands to look for if i want a classic duffle coat? there were a few names mentioned, i am looking for a more thorough list if possible
2) what price range can i expect to pay for a typical duffle coat? (in 2012 dollars, this thread is quite old, seems some of the prices are outdated due to heavy inflation.

Grey Fox

New in Town
I found an ex-Royal Navy duffel coat in an Oxfam shop here in London. Here are a few detail shots of it - real quality and strength.

Unfortunately the moths seemed to love it too, so it's gone back to a charity shop! A huge size, you can see how warm they would be with layers of wool underneath, and a cocoa laced with rum on that open bridge while on watch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59945060@N04/8096592056/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59945060@N04/8096586455/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59945060@N04/8096584801/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59945060@N04/8096585655/

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I recently acquired a Gloverall duffel coat from one of the local thrifts. It looks pretty much like this one.
$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8GcoBQZI!QbgIQ~~60_35.JPG
Very warm! I've been enjoying it with the unusually cold weather we've been having!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Here you go... finally got Junior to take some pics of me in my Loden Green Gloveral.

IMG_1021.jpg

Front

IMG_1019.jpg

Side

IMG_1020.jpg

Back

Great coat for the cold and rain. Best wool coat I have.

Worf

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wait a second... Seems like you have more winter coats then you have winter!! That's # 3 by my count.. And I'm a rookie

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wait a second... Seems like you have more winter coats then you have winter!! That's # 3 by my count.. And I'm a rookie

Shhh you hairy little beastie!!! If the ole lady finds out I'll be in Dutch!!!! LOL, Busted by a werekid from "Strong Island"!!!!

Worf

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Your secrets are safe with me! Plus I'm sure once the wife gets a look at you in those new coats she'll forget to be angry...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Your secrets are safe with me! Plus I'm sure once the wife gets a look at you in those new coats she'll forget to be angry...

LOL! Glad you can take a joke. Actually you're right. She loves the Gloverall and loves it when I tell her that all my jackets are bought either used or "on sale". Couldn't afford this stuff new. But like vintage audio gear, classic cars or anything folks are passionate about there's ALWAYS someone looking to "move on" to the next jewel in the crown and that leaves tasty left-overs for us regular folk. What are you looking to buy? Which way do your tastes run if I may ask? Leather? Wool? Waxed Cotton? The choices are endless.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21