The GREAT BRITISH DUFFEL COAT thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Alan Eardley, Oct 24, 2007.

1. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Well Hal...

These were often worn by Special Forces during WWII in the Western Desert where the wind could blow a right hooley!! My experience of the outdoors has me 'layer' up underneath anyway. It's a lovely warm coat, but not to the point that one overheats.
    The headwear is an old army 'Cap Comforter' of mine, often seen (as it's an old generic model) during WWII and other conflicts, and can be worn as a 'headover' around the neck or as a scarf!! British Ingenuity eh!!

But YES, in the open top going over the North York Moors with light drizzle coming down, I was very cosey in the Duffel!! Not bad for a 70-year-old !! (the coat, NOT ME!!).

2. PADDY

Thanks.

Just keep an eye out for one, patience is often rewarded, especially if you look for the more common later war model.

3. PADDY

ADMIN MERGE.

For ease of reference, similar Duffel threads have been merged into 'one.'

PADDY.

4. gtopaul

gtopaul New in Town

Duffle Coat

Here are some pics of the duffle coat my dad bought in the UK while stationed there at RAF Fairford in the fifties. I have it now and it seems for a size 2 it's pretty big. I'm 6'6" 250lbs and the coat is huge. It rarely gets real cold here but I have used it while walking the dogs in the middle of the winter and nothing gets through it. Amazing coat (smells like an old army tent).:D

Paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Corto

Corto A-List Customer

I was thinking about putting this in the art thread, but I figured you Duffle Coat aficionados would appreciate it more... My pen, ink and digital rendering of Lieutenant Basil Beal, KIA March 1917 off the Shetland Islands...
    [​IMG]

6. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

WWII Duffel Coats

I posted a thread about Duffel Coats in Outerwear but I think it got lost. ...

I would welcome advice on how to obtain a WWII Naval or Army issue Duffel Coat, or the nearest modern reproduction. It would go very well with my commando sweaters, Guernseys and submariners turtleneck. It's years (my teened years indeed) since I have worn a traditional Duffel Coat.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

http://www.gloverall.com/storeItem/?productId=1

I think this is the closest you get, if we are talking new/modern.
    I am the happy owner of a WWII reproduction limited edition (with number inside) Gloverall made several years ago.
    And this new one comes pretty close - except 4 contra 3 "buttons", which is the first give-away.

Here's a few pics of my "limited edition duffelcoat" from Gloverall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also:
    https://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html...ith_rope_fastenings_for_men_by_john_partridge
    - used to have them - but it seems they are out of stock at the mo. But it just might be worth the time to give'm a call.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  8. Ticklishchap

Thanks Spitfire. I notice that www.nauticalia.com have two duffel coats, one mixed wool and the other all-wool, which I much prefer. The latter is more expensive but also far more traditional in style. Another question, of course, is camel vs navy?

9. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

I suppose you are talking about the "traditional" type and not "the herringbone" one.
    The herringbone is pretty far away from the WWII type - where as the "traditional" has some pretty close details - but I do not like the inside of it!!! :(

10. Cobden

Cobden Practically Family

11. Ticklishchap

Thanks. That looks an amazing shop. Very helpful.

12. gyrobroyeur

gyrobroyeur Familiar Face

If you want something as close as possible of the RN WWII duffel coat, Spittfire Shows you the model you have to find. There were two patterns. Both in Camel colour. The first one was with 3 buttons (wood brandebourg), and a collar latch. The second one is exactly the model on Spittfire's pictures. Both are heavy, huge, without liner.
    Cheers.

13. Ticklishchap

Thank you for that good advice.

14. H.Johnson

H.Johnson One Too Many

The late war (and early post war) second pattern 'Coat, Duffel, Drab, Hood Attached' turn up occasionally in small surplus stores and on market stalls. This is the coat in the film 'The Cruel Sea' and also worn by Monty in photos. Size 1 fits large.

15. PADDY

Gents, have merged these two similar threads for ease of reference. Regards, Paddy.

16. 007

007 One of the Regulars

Does anybody have any information about the "heavy sea boots" Leftenat Beal is wearing in that picture?

17. PADDY

Keep this ON TOPIC please. Can start another Thread on connected items . Thanks Gents :)

18. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

Did you ever get the duffel coat? Rgds Steve

19. Fly Boy

Fly Boy One of the Regulars

I'd love to have one, family history and all that. One day hopefully I shall, if it's a 38-39" all the better.

20. the.catcher.in.the.rye

the.catcher.in.the.rye New in Town

WWII and post war duffle coats - what are the differences?

Hi!

I've just bought a really nice duffel coat, it looks just like the WW2 one and the seller said it as well.
    But I'd like to ask you what are the differences between the WW2 second type (the coat has 4 toggle ropes) and post war military duffel coat.
    There's a label but it isn't possible to read it.

Thanks a lot!