Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GREAT BRITISH DUFFEL COAT thread

H.Johnson

One Too Many
This is the WW2 version without the attached hood, army issue.

Schweitzer said:
Here's a picture of a short army duffle coat I just found:
It was offered by a dealer in the US in used condition (and only in size 2) for 25$ (out of stock now)
From the item desciption:

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Dave,

Yes, how true. Different types of clothing and different arms of service used different sizes. So, you can use it consistently for battledress or for duffle coats, but you can't compare a 'size 1' battledress to a 'size 1' duffle coat, etc.

Dudleydoright said:
I have a whole load of these conversions including the WW2 battledress sizing which you need to understand differential calculus to otherwise work out. I'll have to dig it out and post it.
Cheers
Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
I posted some British military sizing, somewhere, a few years ago...
now where might that be..?

B
T

Yep, know the feeling. I did too a ways back. But it was quicker to re-post than look for it :rolleyes:

Dave

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
White/undyed Duffel Coats.

This is a boring one- but:

I saw some "white" duffel coats in a surplus shop, in Auckland, NZ,
two years ago and was interested but thought they were a bit bulky to carry back in my suitcase. I was back again in December/January and went back to that same shop, 3 times, for a look but the shop was closed each time- don't know if it's closed down completely, or not. It was early January, so maybe they were holidaying.
These coats were new old stock, NZ MoD issue marked and dated from the '60s, hanging, packed in large, plastic bags. They were advertised as "Arctic" duffel coats but I imagine they were just un-dyed. The price was somewhere around NZ$120, which was not so cheap.

I've been trying to find out about whether that shop has closed down proper,
or not.

I was also there three years ago and they were having a final "clearance/closing down" sale but having been there twice since and seen that they're still trading, I guessed it was their desperate selling tactic.

If anyone's in Auckland, the shop is Doyles(Army Surplus), near the bottom
of Hobson St., in central Auckland, near the Sky Tower. They used to have
a chain of stores but the city one is the last.

B
T

pipe23

New in Town
Dave, thanks for that info, that actually helps quite a bit,(though of course what "regular" meant in those days is still a mystery to me)...but at least it is a guideline. I'm still still searching online for an accurate chart, if I find one I'll post it, thanks again.

mic

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
You're welcome Mic. :)

I was making the assumption that being American, you would know the height / waist & chest / leg sizes. I have those on that data sheet .... now where'd I put the darn thing .........?

And remember, the sizes as given as the post WW2 but pre-NATO sizing.

WW2 sizing for battledress and for smocks windproof and Denison there was a whole other system in place .... which I also have on that data sheet ....:eek:

Dave

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Finally got to taking some pics of my 'mint' 1943 size 2 Duffel Coat. excuse the dopey look on my face (don't know what that was all about as I don't drink!)...it is one of the best condition Duffel's I've seen in years, no mothing, repairs or stains. I might be selling it as it hasn't got the wear it deserves...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SIZE 1 Duffle. Dated 1940

I have a SIZE 1 from 1940 made for the War Dept. by Redman Bros. In fact it's here in Whitby with me as i type this.

Securing straps for the legs, bakelite buttons and wood toggles for the rope loops.

Heavy duty brass fasteners around the hood (to draw it in tighter for inclement weather).

A couple of minor moth nips (not bad for a 70-year-old), but overall, in great and very strong condition. And named to a military chap.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quick pick from the docks at Whitby Harbour.

DSCN3808.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alan.

Just looking at the photos of your later war version and it's lovely. It really is something of functionality over fashion (in many ways the Irvin jacket fits that bill too) and yet, and yet....it bucks the system in some unexplainable way and has become an iconic piece of classic wear for gents (and bears from Peru of course).

It's military heritage and bull-dog spirit and pure 'Britishness' from the days of Empire makes it as popular today in it's many reincarnations as it has ever been.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
One question

Well I have a duffle coat that, beside being blue, seems very similar, if not identical, to the WWII ones I've seen here.

It has a label which says "Lennards- for riding clothing- Coats and Hats- established 1850- nearly half a century's reputation"
(which makes me think they didn't change the label since a long time...)

another interior label is half-discoloured and, for what I can see, it reads "by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen manufacturers of waterproof and protective clothing" and "by appointment to HRH the Duke etc. etc."

Has anyone ever heard of this brand? I've searched on the net and couldn't find anything.

The coat belonged to my brother so I don't know where it came from (I'll ask): he has another item of the same brand, a motorcycle jacket in the "Roadmaster" style.

Thank you!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1940 British Duffle Coat (pics)

I've just been wearing this all the way back from Whitby in the open-top, hugging the coastline up to Redcar then across through the Stockton/Middlesbrough area, through the Tyne Tunnel and up into the wilds of the Scottish Border as the weather (such is our little Island Nation) has turned chilly and drizzly again. Snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug I was!! ;)
As posted earlier, it's a SIZE 1 and an early war version. Synonymous with the Royal Navy and later adopted by British Special Forces, such as SAS and LRDPG (More recently used during GW1 by Special Forces in Kuwait and Iraq which says alot about them). Famous wearers include Winston, Monty and Stirling (I know, sounds like a Law Firm!!).

But this truly is an iconic piece of kit guys!!

WHITBY119.jpg

WHITBY118.jpg

WHITBY117.jpg

WHITBY116.jpg

WHITBY115.jpg

WHITBY114.jpg

WHITBY113.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Broadsword calling Spitfire...come in Spitfire...

Soren, have you still got the pics of your Duffel (as the early ones have long gone). Cheers, Paddy.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Early 1940 British Duffel Coat

I've popped this into the 'Outerwear Room' as well, but sometimes 'things' just get lost in there [huh] As this is an early war jacket, in a Size 1, with the brass fixings and often synonymous with RN; LRDG; SAS during that period of conflict, I thought 'it just might' be of interest to some of you. The details are slightly different to the later war model of the Duffel. But still it has become an iconic classic jacket, made famous by the likes of Winston; Monty; David Stirling and of course that cute little bear from Peru, Paddington!!

Some shots of me on a rather windy and sandblown morning with the boys!! not recommended for camera work, all those fine grains of sand.

DUFFEL003.jpg

DUFFEL006.jpg

DUFFEL010.jpg

DUFFEL011.jpg

WHITBY119.jpg

WHITBY118.jpg

WHITBY117.jpg

WHITBY116.jpg

WHITBY115.jpg

C

csmiller

Hi Paddy,

Looks to be in mint condition - and warm also. I, too, wish I had one. Beautiful coat.

Craig

Hal

Practically Family
duffel/duffle coats

My (rather limited) experience of such coats is that they do a great job of keeping one warm except in wind, when the wind blows under the coat and chills the wearer. When riding in an open-top car (as Paddy has written) this problem does not occur, so this coat will be great for that. Like all long outer-coats, it looks better with headgear - again, Paddy's knitted hat looks fine, or a flat cap or beret would also be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy