Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GREAT BRITISH DUFFEL COAT thread

icecold

One of the Regulars
Alan Eardley said:
You can still get unissued late war/post war 'second pattern' duffle coats (as worn in the film version of 'The Cruel Sea') for around 15 GBP.

Alan
:eek:fftopic: Where do you guys ever find unissues WWII stuff? Are there any retailers that specialize in that, or is it always pure chance?
Thanks.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Hours spent searching in vintage and surplus shops, contacts in the trade or hobby. Pure chance in many cases - a 'hunters luck'. Nothing to it really...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Duffle down under-

Mr. Johnson- Godt nyt År!

Upon my recent visit to South Asia and the Antipodes, I visited my favourite Army Surplus store(which was till having a closing down sale- the same one as when I visited 2 years ago...) and spied a bundle of new, old stock NZ military duffle coats.
These coats are the same pattern as mentioned above and were going for NZ$112, which seemed like a fair price, considering they were in perfect nick and good sizes. Intersting, was that they had a 1952 date and were in an off-white, natural wool colour, rather than the tan we usually see in this type of military coat. They were labeled as "Arctic Duffle Coats" but this may or may not be true- an assumption may have been made due to the colour(or lack of).

I didn't buy one, due to the fact that it would fill a large suitcase, which was put to much better use carrying a Norwegian Bergen/an style "rucksack".

Also nabbed a string vest, t-shirt style, very soft and comfortable and it works. I forget the other things I found... must open the re-open the case.

Hey ho.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes! I'v eseen them. These were a post war issue and were, I think, developed from the shorter and hoodless 'Coat, Duffle' that was definitely issued in WW2. Herr Baron has one of these. The arctic duffle (lower case, as I'm not really sure what they were called) replaced the HUMUNGOUS tropal (i.e. kapok) insulated coat that was (I believe) first issued to the Norwegian expeditionary force.

BTW, I was in my local hospice charity shop while you were 'down under' and I picked up an unissued-condition 1943 dated Canadian battledress blouse. As worn by Captain Mannering in Dad's army and wots-her-name in the English Impatient (for it to end) film. Weren't they also issued to NZ troops in the 8th Army (according to Brayley and Ingram)?

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
Most of the ex-WW2 RN duffle coats were 'used up' by beatniks and intellectuals (usually CND) in the 50s, but they still appear in surplus shops in the UK.

They're also an image that I remember being associated very strongly with Gerry Adams in the pre-Armani years... oddly enough, though, I can't find a photo online.

I think the last duffle coat I had was purcahsed in about 1985 or so; they were the school coat of choice, purchased by middle class parents between the mid 70s and the mid 80s. I seem to recall mine being in varying shades of brown, navy and charcoal - and always double breasted. Definitely warm coats. If I found a bargain on a military issue item now, I'd be tempted. I can certainly imagine them being a very practical garment were one to be headed somewhere like NYC during Winter again, and requiring a longer coat to go over a blazer or suit jacket made an Irvin / B3 a non-option....

H.Johnson

One Too Many
During wartime you mean?

No. As far as I have found out the firm was a dealer and bought up lots of military surplus at the end of WW2 (including duffle coats) and sold them to the public. Apparently the firm saw a business opportunity after the war and began to make (or to have made, I'm not sure if they owned their own production facilities) weather clothing, of which their dufflecoats are the most famous.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
The arctic duffle (lower case, as I'm not really sure what they were called) replaced the HUMUNGOUS tropal (i.e. kapok) insulated coat that was (I believe) first issued to the Norwegian expeditionary force.

BTW, I was in my local hospice charity shop while you were 'down under' and I picked up an unissued-condition 1943 dated Canadian battledress blouse. As worn by Captain Mannering in Dad's army and wots-her-name in the English Impatient (for it to end) film. Weren't they also issued to NZ troops in the 8th Army (according to Brayley and Ingram)?

Doh! My ageing memory! The 'Coat, Tropal Lined' was the later version of the 'Coat, Sheepskin Lined' and wasn't in use at the time of the Norway campaign. The outer was the same (big canvas coat, metal clips like a US fireman's coat) but sheepskin began to be needed for RAF flying kit, so Tropal ('the insulation that conquered Everest') was used after 1942. Even later dufflecoat-style ropes and toggles replaced the clips.

Where was I? Oh, yes. NZ battledress. It was the same as the Canadian pattern (covered buttons, pleated pockets, wire buckle) but the buttons were different - metal on the Canadian, British on the NZ. The fabric was better than the British version so pretentious junior officers preferred them (that is why it is so apt that Mainwaring wears one in Dad's Army) to the British pattern.

brownbanana

New in Town
What type of brands are available?

I have to say, after flipping through this thread, it has definitely peaked my interest! Outside of the already aforementioned brands, do you guys know of any other brands of duffle coats that are available? Especially being currently available? I'd love to take a look at what's out there. Thanks in advance.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my Lodenfrey duffle with me in it:

p1013958vj5.jpg

Sierra Trading Post recently had John Partridge made in England duffles, and may still, for under $150.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Tropal Coat

The 'Coat, Tropal Lined' was the later version of the 'Coat, Sheepskin Lined' and wasn't in use at the time of the Norway campaign. The outer was the same (big canvas coat, metal clips like a US fireman's coat) but sheepskin began to be needed for RAF flying kit, so Tropal ('the insulation that conquered Everest') was used after 1942. Even later dufflecoat-style ropes and toggles replaced the clips.

H. Johnson,

Hate to contradict you, but I have Tropal Coat (yes the long heavy monster with the "fireman's clasps", that is 1940 dated and it is filled with Kapok (so says the label).

Cheers,

Scott

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thanks for this, Scott I should have trusted my memory in the first place. I have checked a few sources and two of them state that Tropal was used in Norway (i.e. 1940) and one says it was later. Let's go with your evidence and the expert majority!

skbellis said:
The 'Coat, Tropal Lined' was the later version of the 'Coat, Sheepskin Lined' and wasn't in use at the time of the Norway campaign. The outer was the same (big canvas coat, metal clips like a US fireman's coat) but sheepskin began to be needed for RAF flying kit, so Tropal ('the insulation that conquered Everest') was used after 1942. Even later dufflecoat-style ropes and toggles replaced the clips.

H. Johnson,

Hate to contradict you, but I have Tropal Coat (yes the long heavy monster with the "fireman's clasps", that is 1940 dated and it is filled with Kapok (so says the label).

Cheers,

Scott

Narodnik

New in Town
Duffle coat ID help (30+ pics!)

Hello, I was a lurker until now.

I found this as a charity thrift today and it cost me basically nothing. (under 10 USD type of thing)

I've been looking for a duffle coat for a while, but this was completely random. The store usually just have HM shirts and the likes. It looks like a real ww2 british duffle coat, but I would like some help with ID.

Also I thought it was about time the internet got some really good high res detailed pictures of these. This was found in Norway, so thats kind of why I'm not all too sure if it's genuine or not.

1.jpg

12.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Theres no wear to speak of on it and it seems in very good condition. The only thing would be that the stitching on one or two of the duffle rope has partially come off, but i'll secure those back on later tonight so no prob.

Lastly, how much do you think this would go for? It's very rugged fabric and heavy as hell. Not the soft you usually find on these. I would probably have ended up buying a original british one within a few years, so how much do you reckon I've saved on this? Seeing how I paid "nothing"

Cheers and hello sproily <D

Narodnik

New in Town
23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

3.jpg

30.jpg

4.jpg

That's all the pictures, folks. I know it's a lot, but there's enough threads without pics here so it'll be a nice break

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hello/Hej.
Yes, it is definitely a RN Duffel coat.
The RN and other British forces were, of course in Norway, so it's not at all odd to find one.

The totally faded label is the military issue label.
It does actually look quite well worn- the nap of the cloth is worn away exposing the twill
weave of the wool cloth. These can still be found in surplus stores but rarely now.

If you're looking to sell it- watch them, or watch out for them on eBay- the market does whatever.
But 0-£150 at outside extremes. Tricky, Duffel coats.

Welcome.

B
T

Narodnik

New in Town
Thanks! The photos were resized and sharpened so the twill really gets a boost through in these pictures. It's not as worn as it might look here.

One wouldn't be able to realize it's years old when worn. No obvious wear. I'll definitely keep it close for a good while. thanks.

PS. this must be a size 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points