Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The High Collar Shirt

StanleyVanBuren

So here's the deal.

I agreed with everyone here when they told me a higher collar would suit my longer neck better. I still do.

However, after a couple days of work wearing my high-collar shirt with tie, I find the shirt to be totally unwearable for any considerable period of time if worn with a tie. The result? Severely decreased mobility of my neck/head and by the end of the day, sore neck & shoulders. Both these effects occurred each of the two times I wore the shirt for a full day of work.

So, at least for this shirt, it will have to remain for special occasions or for wear sans tie.

This does not mean I have given up. I'm thinking (probably to the delight of some die-hard vintage aficionados) that the solution is to have a shirt made with a soft collar at the desired height. I'm willing to bet that a soft, unconstructed collar would not produce the movement restrictions and resulting discomfort.

When I'm able to get around to this, is of course, another story. I will keep you posted.

blacksuit3.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Long problem.

Stanley, pardon me for saying so, but you're a young guy. Is part of the problem that you're just not use to wearing a collar shirt all day? Or as you say it could very well be you need a softer collar shirt. You might want to see a "good" custom clothier that really specializes in shirts. He/She might make a better suggestion as to the collar. Is the collar hitting your adams apple?
Marty Mathis

StanleyVanBuren

Marty M. said:
Stanley, pardon me for saying so, but you're a young guy. Is part of the problem that you're just not use to wearing a collar shirt all day?

Nope. :) I work for a law firm and wear a suit and tie to work every day. Have done so all year. Before this, I worked for a corporate legal dept during my final 2 years of undergrad prior to going to law school where I typically would wear shirt & tie every day.

The only diff here is the high collar.

As far as it reaching my adams apple, it comes close but I think doesn't quite hit it.

Jay

Practically Family
Sorry for such a stupid idea, but since the collar sits higher have you thought of going for a larger size collar? Perhaps this be the problem...

Marty M.

Vendor
Time to card you.

StanleyVanBuren said:
Nope. :) I work for a law firm and wear a suit and tie to work every day. Have done so all year. Before this, I worked for a corporate legal dept during my final 2 years of undergrad prior to going to law school where I typically would wear shirt & tie every day.

The only diff here is the high collar.

As far as it reaching my adams apple, it comes close but I think doesn't quite hit it.

My appologies Stanley. You've got a very youthful look. Or, I'm just getting older. ;)
Your Pal,
Marty

StanleyVanBuren

Marty M. said:
My appologies Stanley. You've got a very youthful look. Or, I'm just getting older. ;)
Your Pal,
Marty

No -- no worries. I am not offended at all. I am only 24 and it's more than reasonable to assume most guys my age are not used to wearing shirt & tie, let alone a suit every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy