Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

GTguyzach

New in Town
I stumbled across this thread tonight and I'm curious to see how it turns out. I assume that it is too late to get in on the current batch but is there a possibility of future ones if the current one is successful?

I also wanted to throw in another endorsement for Tom James clothing. My dad has passed down some of his Tom James stuff to me (from his younger, thinner days) and it is really nice, high quality stuff. Expensive, but custom stuff is nice to have in a world of fair to middlin' off the rack clothes.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
HollyWood Waist

Gents,
Thank you for your interest, time and yes patience.

As for now, Fall 2006, the Pants/Suits projects are on hold.
I am currently engaged in 5 simultaneous business ventures
In Hue, Vietnam. We are finalizing the paper work for my
“ExPat” import/export license. And nothing ever happens fast in Asia….
But I have purchased $800 U.S. Dollars worth of fabric for more
samples to be made, and my mastor-tailor has recently received the fabric.
As more samples are completed, and pass inspection, then we will
unveil our website with all wares to view. We will not sell anything until
our full mens catalog has been completed.
The most recent success we’ve enjoyed, in these developments
stages, are with our 1938 pattern tuxedos. Fantastic and accurate
stitch by stitch. Pictures are to follow soon.

Thank you again, and please stay tuned.

Regards,

SJ

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the update, Jeffrey.

Your project has expanded much farther than I think most of us knew. Speaking for myself, based on the info here, I have been thinking you were just having a few pairs of pants copied for a few Fedora Lounge members at $30 - $50. But you have a tux in production! You seem to be doing this on a much larger scale than we knew.

Good luck and we'll be watching for your updates.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
GTguyzach said:
I stumbled across this thread tonight and I'm curious to see how it turns out. I assume that it is too late to get in on the current batch but is there a possibility of future ones if the current one is successful?

I also wanted to throw in another endorsement for Tom James clothing. My dad has passed down some of his Tom James stuff to me (from his younger, thinner days) and it is really nice, high quality stuff. Expensive, but custom stuff is nice to have in a world of fair to middlin' off the rack clothes.

I agree, I'd like to get in on this too. But if I did get these made, they would be some nice and heavy flannel. It's tough to find pants that are warm enough! I'd get them in a cream flannel.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Thank-you, Shanghai Jack, for the update. I'll look forward to the news as you move on with your project. Good luck.

:cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1930's inspired pants.

I'm working via internet with Kiwi Indy Magnoli in NZ on a pair of tweed 1930's pants with dropped belt looks, 2" cuffs, high waist..etc. When it comes together pictures & full details will be posted then.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Trousers

Boy, I'd like to get in on this too.
This waist height issue is interesting. I think it all started in the 50's. If you look at I Love Lucy, you'll see Fred Mertz's trousers nice and high (over his tummy), with his tie tucked into his trouser waist! Then about that time teenagers started wearing the ducktail haircut (remember ducktails?) and polished cotton or chino pants. These had the real low waist, because 16 year old boys could look cool in them. Well, that style persists today, even tho anybody with even a little bit of a tummy (like yours truly) looks terrible in them. It's one of the first and worst manifestations of the post WW2 youth culture takeover. The higher waisted trousers allow men with a certain degree of . . . ahem . . . maturity and . . . uhh err . . . gravitas . . . look dignified. I have all the intentions in the world of flattenig this tummy someday, in the mean time, GIVE ME SOME GOOD OLD WILLIAM POWELL TROUSERS ALREADY!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Rover said:
DL Cerney in NY makes the high waisted Hollywood waist pants- they cost somewhere around the $100 range...

...about $180, but who's counting?

l_01f797be8068fa2cbe1fce22565ca6d6.jpg

These are my favs. . .(btw for LA area folks, La Bomba is selling new vintage cut t-shirts like the one I'm wearing.)

Feraud

Bartender
resortes805 said:
...about $180, but who's counting?

l_01f797be8068fa2cbe1fce22565ca6d6.jpg

These are my favs. . .(btw for LA area folks, La Bomba is selling new vintage cut t-shirts like the one I'm wearing.)
Are those from DL Cerney?? They are nice! I would shell out the 180 for those. :D

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Actually these slacks are'nt from DL Cerney ( they are not even custom, they are off-the-rack zoot suit pants from El Pachuco, if the picture continued to my feet you would see the tight cuffs, also these are a poly-rayon blend).

when I went to DL Cerney I really only had enough dough to make one purchase, which ended up being this sportshirt:
dlcerney.jpg

The DL Cerney slacks are similar, and I really like their higher rise on the back (similar to Ben Stephen's European cut trousers) but the only thing that turned me off was that the belt loops looked a little long; I prefer them shorter.

Rooster

Practically Family
What a great thread. I've been looking for high waisted pants since y'all corrupted me with vintage clothes.....;) I hope this has a happy ending!

kools

Practically Family
Yesser! I believe these pants (as well as Magnoli's new denims) are headed to me in Milwaukee as we speak. I will review them for all when they arrive. Thanks again, Indy!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Boy, I'd like to get in on this too.
This waist height issue is interesting. I think it all started in the 50's. If you look at I Love Lucy, you'll see Fred Mertz's trousers nice and high (over his tummy), with his tie tucked into his trouser waist! Then about that time teenagers started wearing the ducktail haircut (remember ducktails?) and polished cotton or chino pants. These had the real low waist, because 16 year old boys could look cool in them. Well, that style persists today, even tho anybody with even a little bit of a tummy (like yours truly) looks terrible in them. It's one of the first and worst manifestations of the post WW2 youth culture takeover. The higher waisted trousers allow men with a certain degree of . . . ahem . . . maturity and . . . uhh err . . . gravitas . . . look dignified. I have all the intentions in the world of flattenig this tummy someday, in the mean time, GIVE ME SOME GOOD OLD WILLIAM POWELL TROUSERS ALREADY!

I think that in the fifties waists were still high comparatively. Trimmer fit, but still high. I still have a bag full of sixties pants I can't sell at the vintage shops because no one wears them anymore.

I think thereason for low waistbands these days is the very reason you mention. Slimmer guys could wear pants on their real waist, but these days most guys have a little gut. So they have to choose between wearing pants big and high over their guts, or low and snug under their guts. I think the first looks better, but I cna see why people opt for the latter.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
I think that in the fifties waists were still high comparatively. Trimmer fit, but still high. I still have a bag full of sixties pants I can't sell at the vintage shops because no one wears them anymore.

I think thereason for low waistbands these days is the very reason you mention. Slimmer guys could wear pants on their real waist, but these days most guys have a little gut. So they have to choose between wearing pants big and high over their guts, or low and snug under their guts. I think the first looks better, but I cna see why people opt for the latter.

And say they wear 34's instead of 38's...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot