Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Humble Anorak.....

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
From this side of the pond, Ten Tors sounds like fun, more or less what we call adventure racing.

I'm actually in the hunt for a cagoule, my question was in reference to "dreaded" in connection with a cagoule. In really nasty weather cagoules seem to keep people as dry as anything else, at least that has been my observation.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The TT went downhill when they opened it up to civilians, in my opinion.

I prefer my local yomp, the Four Inns in Derbyshire.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
I've lost pictures I had saved of a simple anorak labeled "Anarak, Labrador Type" and dated 1944, as I recall.

British or Canadian military, I'm guessing. So the tradition and link with the indigenous North American roots of the anorak was apparent up to the 1940s, at least.

See here::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21683

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx3Y87Ui

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I recall this WW2 kit being featured in Militaria Magazine - I suspect it may even have been teh short-lived English edition.

The smock is basically the same as the 1920s Wilfred Grenfell drawing of a Labrador anorak (see my post elsewhere) that were produced by Walter Haythornthwaite. Very similar suits (without the map pocket) are shown on photos of the early Himalayan expeditions, which were claimed by Haythornthaite & Sons Ltd in its publicity. It is therefore tempting to assume that the same company may have made these suits. However, Prof. Mary Rose documents that Haythornthwaite's mill was directed to shut down during WW2 to conserve cotton (!) and wasn't awarded any war-time contracts. That would still not preclude the company having produced these suits before the war, of course.

I have an insider in the company and will try to do some more research.

pipvh

Practically Family
Portobello Market anorak report

I scoured the Portobello vintage clothing market for an anorak yesterday and the results were... disappointing.

There were two or three reversible US Mountain Division smocks, a few US Navy deck smocks, one very basic pull-over white winter camouflage smock (WWii vintage), and that was it. Most interesting find was a German(?) 1960s vintage lightweight walking/climbing jacket in a fine gabardine, cut very much like a very short M51 parka - it had a fishtail. Too small, however.

Lots of other good stuff, notably an incredible British Army dispatch rider's coat dated 1943, and a modified Barbour International - as usual, too small.

I also nipped around the vintage shops in Covent Garden. Again, the US Mountain Div and Deck smocks, one RN Ventile smock.

I bought nothing - not true, I came home with a Christys Chepstow racing felt - but as always had an amazing time.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Wow, I've not been on this forum much recently, but I must thank you gents for providing fascinating reading - anoraks, hill walking, ventile, grenfell, rucksacks, boots etc. You can tell spring is approaching!

I'm afraid I don't have anything to add as all my clothes of the cheap synthetic CragHoppers / Regatta variety.

This is something that I intend to remedy, but my local army surplus doesn't seem to have anything resembling this cadet smock that keeps getting mentioned (all theirs had full length zips and were fleece lined).

Can any of you let me know of a stockist in the Manchester or North Staffs regions? Also, how heavy are they? Ideally I'd want something thin but waterproof to survive the inevitable Peak District 'summer' i.e. torrential rain.

pipvh

Practically Family
The cadet smock... Endicotts in Exeter has a whole box of them, and I immediately thought excelsior! - unfortunately they were all cadet-sized, ie very small indeed. They did look the business, though. Now if only I was the size of an 11-year-old.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
Can any of you let me know of a stockist in the Manchester or North Staffs regions?

What have you done? You've just invoked he that will not be named... :eek:

Also, how heavy are they? Ideally I'd want something thin but waterproof to survive the inevitable Peak District 'summer' i.e. torrential rain.

Heavy rain will soak these sorts of garments right through, but the best of them will serve as a barrier (a very wet one) to water penetration. Wear wool underneath and you'll be fine. Dampish but fine.

Also,

It's your bedtime, isn't it?

is one of my favourite FL posts of all time. Ever.

pipvh

Practically Family
It's your bedtime, isn't it?

Sulking...

3212905527_26a82d6fcf.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
That's where I obtained mine, unissued for a fiver, thanks to Kevin. As with the unissued 1950 pattern Aertex bush jackets and the likewise cross-belted KD trousers, I suspect I may have been guilty of relieving him of the last of his 'reasonable sizes' (i.e 36" chest, 30" waist and 5'-10" to 6' - 0").

pipvh said:
The cadet smock... Endicotts in Exeter has a whole box of them, and I immediately thought excelsior! - unfortunately they were all cadet-sized, ie very small indeed. They did look the business, though. Now if only I was the size of an 11-year-old.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
[
Can any of you let me know of a stockist in the Manchester or North Staffs regions?

You may have to travel. Mortons in Bilston have them from time to time.

Also, how heavy are they? Ideally I'd want something thin but waterproof to survive the inevitable Peak District 'summer' i.e. torrential rain.

Very light and packs away into a 1958 Pattern utility pouch (or side pouch on a 1944 pattern pack). Not waterproof (tested to 750mm hydrostatic head) but dries reasonably quickly (for ventile-type cotton).

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Basically, its a Belstaff Dalesman or a cadet smock with a lace-up neck like a German windbluse. Ask BT...

DanielJones said:
I always liked the look of this one from "Seven Years in Tibet"
seven_years_in_tibet-brad_pitt.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I think this "Anorak Like Brad Pitt Wears in 'Tibet' " stuff has been done to death in it's own thread. No need to infect this one with it too surely ?!! :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
You are sarcaustic?

B
T

No, really. I actually laughed out loud, as opposed to LOLing. I was in the same frame of mind as the poster you were commenting on and was just getting to the stage of posting something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21