The Humble Anorak.....

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Dudleydoright, Feb 3, 2010.

1. wdw

wdw One Too Many

I really like the Schuster one and also the beige army one above. I see quite a few Chinese copies of that on eBay.

I keep looking at this modern reproduction of the Telemark smock from Lancashire Pike, although their prices are very high:
    [​IMG]

They also do this army repro:
    [​IMG]

Fanch likes this.
  2. Heeresbergführer

Heeresbergführer Familiar Face

These anoraks from Lancashire Pike are marvelous! Though the price is killer. The first one is based on a post-war British Army anorak. The second one is German. I like that they used one of my Gebirgsjäger portrait photos in their gallery, though they don't credit me for it or asked for permission. May have to save up for one of these.

Bergheil und Horrido!
    Patrick

3. wdw

wdw One Too Many

Yeah, if they were £100 less I wouldn't hesitate, but £405 makes me stop and think, especially for a novelty item I wouldn't get much use out of.

Having said that, apparently when you wear the smock, you turn into a steely-eyed, chisel-jawed mountain man who laughs in the face of danger and who has women swooning at his feet, so maybe the extra £100 is worth it.

4. Otter

Otter One Too Many

^ Such is the power of Ventile! ;)

Having said that, I always fancied one of the Where Eagles Dare smocks.

5. wdw

wdw One Too Many

@Otter, there used to be a UK guy who made the Where Eagles Dare smocks, Extreme Outdoor Clothing or something, but he seems to have stopped trading now.

I know I've slagged off Ventile here, but it works well on the kit above and would be adequate for non-serious mountain (or city) use in mostly dry conditions. Plus you get to look like a Hero of Telemark. :)

6. Heeresbergführer

7. Heeresbergführer

And here's another vintage anorak from my collection:

[​IMG]

Mr. Godfrey and Otter like this.
  8. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Re. Where Eagles Dare, Soldier of Fortune UK are now doing a repro for £99.

9. wdw

wdw One Too Many

As an update, I've now received my Ventile smock, 6.5 weeks after order. It's a nice, solid, classic bit of kit with a 40s/50s vibe. Nothing fancy, nothing cool, but I like the utter simplicity and robustness of the double layer Ventile. The hood's larger than I expected, coming well over the front of my head, and the hip pockets are slightly bellowed and take a big LG G5 lying down, so adequate storage. It's worn with only a shirt and thin jumper underneath, so still space for insulation.

I can see this lasting a long, long time, although I'll do my best to avoid heavy rain as it'll weigh a ton if soaked through. I'm now hoping for lots of windy days so that I can get out there and look the part.
    [​IMG]

Sloan1874, Mr. Godfrey and Otter like this.
  10. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Nice, classic look, now when do you get the tricouni nailed boots ? ;)

11. wdw

wdw One Too Many

Ha. Right after I get that chiselled jaw I ordered.

12. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

That looks pretty cool WDW, reminds me of Norman Wisdon in the Bulldog breed, really made me want one as a child.

Attached Files:

13. wdw

wdw One Too Many

I didn't know of that film, but I like his look, even though he's no Kirk Douglas. I very much like the B&W pics above.

I'm now going to try to order big woollen mits to add to the look. Not sure about trousers, but I quite fancy going full psycho retro hiker if I can get the gear right.

14. Mr. Godfrey

Mr. Godfrey Practically Family

IMG_1765.JPG

@ WDW, the film is an old 1960's comedy, should you ever get the chance to watch. Norman Wisdom is an acquired taste though.

I do like the thought of your blue one with woolly hat and mitts though.

I also like the dark tan of Sean Bean's top in the age of heroes if you know who stocks those? I have light stone coloured one fron SofF that I use in the spring and summer. My swandri is always out in the autumn.

15. wdw

wdw One Too Many

@Mr. Godfrey, that's another film I wasn't aware of. I'd say my smock is closer to the girl's in style, but the army ones look OTT for my needs.

I'm also hoping for a James Bond vibe in OHMSS, my favourite Bond film. I've always liked his smock worn during the Piz Gloria assault, and feel this one comes very close. My one's true colour is closer to the one below, as the sun washed out the pic above.
    [​IMG]