Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Humble Anorak.....

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I hate digital cameras. With a passion. I don't know what has come over me, but I came across this Belstaff Dalesman the other day while having a sort-out and thought I would post a picture, simply because for me, in spite of all its faults, it is a very nice anorak. Sentimental old sod...
Anorakfront.jpg

Anoraklabel.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
Thanks for grasping the digital nettle, Mr J. It is a nice anorak.

Speedbird, there's been a huge revival of the mountain parka type of jacket (like your top one) in Japan. The North Face ones - certainly anoraks, but... 'umble? I like your navy Swedish one - it's inspired me to tinker with a couple of them.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
'umble not me gov!

The North Face i never considered anything other than hyperbole - but the Japanese store one does tick some boxes ... it certainly has the flavour if not the age....

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Although the North Face today is mostly a fashion company, it it's heyday the North Face made top shelf gear and clothing.

I've noticed the mountain parka revival, most notably in Japan, via various blogs. It seems these are now all the rage with the urban hipster crowd. Many of the blogs seem to be frustrated that firms are making classic items for the Japanese market, but not for the western markets. For example, Sierra Designs in Japan is selling their classic mountain parka with a Pendelton wool lining, Danner makes a classic hiking boot (no gore tex) but again only for Japan.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
"I think I am turning Japanese, turning Japanese, I really think so!"

More and more I want to live in Japan! There's an outside chance I might be be 'fashionable' .... lol

pipvh

Practically Family
When I was last down Portobello hunting for anoraks, one seller told me that he hardly ever saw the pullover kind because they were all being bought by... the Japanese. I suppose that means we'll all have to wait for the Toys McCoys recreation of the Cadet Windproof at £750 a go. Bet it'll be nice, too!

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Another "Bobby" mention here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/73986/viewall-page-3

"Twenty-five years ago I purchased a ventile cotton mountain-climbing anorak made by a British company called "Bobby Sportswear." It was the best outer garment I have ever owned and I wore it until I got "too big" for it. A similar anorak was made by another company who put the name of famous British climber "Joe Brown" on it. If anyone knows whether the company is still in business (I have searched the web) or where I can get one, please respond to this post. In appearance, the anorak is similar to the GI anorak except it had two hip pockets in addition to the kangaroo chest pocket. Thanks in advance!"

This was from 2001-

B
T

Joe Brown is still around (at least his shop is still around).
http://www.joe-brown.com/

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Anoraks for sale

Did an inventory of my cold weather clothing and anoraks. I have WAY too many to ever get use out of them all where I now reside so I'm thinking of selling three of my ventile and a few non ventile anoraks and jackets.

PM me if you have serious interest rather than photo hunters.

Dave

H.Johnson

One Too Many
A very different Joe Brown, I'm afraid. The aforesaid is a legendary rock climber who I had the pleasure of meeting on a number of occasions and watching him 'first' some terrifying gritstone pitches. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brown_(climber)

The latter is a trendy clothes shop...

Belstaff, of course, offered another 'climbing name' anorak in the shape of the 'Chris Bonington' - more of a cagoule, really...

nobodyspecial said:
Joe Brown is still around (at least his shop is still around).
http://www.joe-brown.com/

H.Johnson

One Too Many
They're too late - I beat them to it...

pipvh said:
When I was last down Portobello hunting for anoraks, one seller told me that he hardly ever saw the pullover kind because they were all being bought by... the Japanese. I suppose that means we'll all have to wait for the Toys McCoys recreation of the Cadet Windproof at £750 a go. Bet it'll be nice, too!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:
Here's what they're supposed to look like.

http://www.sealharvest.ca/product/frame.html

I have an address just for the seal pelts, If anyones interested. The prices are fantastic this year! It would even be reasonable to have furniture made, as the prces are cheaper than leather right now.

I just looked further. Seal pizza? :eek:

Would it be possible to get the pelts de-furred, I wonder? Not a great fashion statement, but the anoraks I was thinking of seem to be more skin than full pelts.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
German 1930's Anorak by "Sport Schuster - Munich" in unworn condition.
A holy grail of sorts and size 52 (US 42), too!

Zippers with DRP (German Reich Patent) - Zipp markings.
Brown corozo buttons.
Brass casings for the drawstring.
Crotch-strap for intense weather.
Ingenious buckles for adjusting the wrist-straps.

Various types of these civilian Anoraks were also worn by German mountain-troops in WW2.

Anorak%204.jpg

Anorak%205.jpg

Anorak%202.jpg

Anorak%203.jpg

Anorak%206.jpg

Last edited:

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Grüß Di' Fastuni,

Drei mal Horrido! Outstanding find in such condition. It would look lovely with my vintage DSV ski cap! I am always looking for vintage civilian and military mountaineering items. I have a few ASMü items in my collection, along with many Gebirgsjäger items.

20151004_ASMüWindbluse_001.jpg _MG_0013.JPG _MG_0026.JPG _MG_0040.JPG

Berg und Ski Heil,

Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points