Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Humble Anorak.....

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
The French Chasserus Alpin' Anorak

Here's the French anorak.
Nice bit of kit. Slanted chest and hip pockets to allow easier access and drawcords ar hood, waist and hem. Button cuffs. I picked this up on Ebay for $20.
Definately not ventile or waterproof without treating but a good windproof.

french.jpg

Dave

Creeping Past

One Too Many
JakeHolman said:
Anyone checked out these from Nigel Cabourn? I'm sure they are amazing but pricewise...:eek:

He makes some well thought out garments with incredible detailing.

I'm not sure this fits with the general idea of an anorak, as discussed in this thread and elsewhere on FL. Personally, I'm thinking of an over-the-head garment rather than one with full front closure.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Mr. Godfrey said:
Had posted this on the AGT but I think it was the wrong thread.

Anyway, bit pricey and small but I saw this in Jack Wills last week.

003649863.jpg

It certainly looks the part, but I've never liked waxed cotton much - or at least I've always found waxed jackets far too hot to wear whilst walking.

And you're right, the price is a bit steep.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
You may have to travel. Mortons in Bilston have them from time to time.

Thanks for the info H.Johnson - it may take some time, but at least I've re-discovered the joys of poking around in army surplus shops :)
Went to one in Stoke at the weekend, it brought back lots of memories of my student days.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Was out in the Cadet Anorak yesterday-
not enough clothing on for -15c.
Today, this morning, a crisp and clear -24c and brilliant sunshine.
I didn't get far from the car today.
I'll re-think my layering for this extra 10 degrees of minusness.

Cotton gets a bit stiff in extreme cold.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Do a search-
I think Dudley and H.Johnson have both rmentioned them as possible but not very useful anoraks- on one of the many Anorak/Ventile threads.

I could be wrong and those 2 members opinions may have been conflicting but
I remember someone saying that the smock is heavy and has a lot of fittings that may be irrelevant, if used as a hiking anorak.
If you were thinking about a hiking anorak...

They are also on an English surplus website for £20.

B
T

pipvh

Practically Family
Not sure I'm in the right thread but anyone know how good these RN Smocks are...a number on eBay at present...

I looked at one the other day - brand new, for around £120-£130 (BT's right - these are being bought for £20 and sold on). Really well-made, very, very heavy and, for want of a better word, voluminous. Lots of cords, snaps and flaps that have no purpose away from the deck of an aircraft carrier. Really cool piece of specialized design but no good at all for hiking. Which is basically what Mr J and Mr Doright told me to expect.

If they were £20 I might be tempted to buy a couple and disassemble them for the material, but for £100+, not so tempted.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
possible cadet smock - possibly not ....

I have a navy blue - as in dark Royal Navy Blue colour - anorak in a similiar style to a cadet smock except if I remember correctly the cadet smock had a single kangaroo chest pocket whereas this has two scalloped three button pockets on the 'skirt' and no chest pocket. It is single layer throughout, with crotch strap and the hood is tightened with the wide cotton flat draw 'string'. It has the full throat/face panel that buttons across to protect the lower face. The buttons are the metal old school military type (sort of flat dished).

It looks similiar to the ubiquitous Swedish anorak but feels lighter and is less thick and buttons are more British in style. I think.

More importantly, it is huge - it fits me even now although the crotch strap isn't long enough and I am definitely XXXL in the belly department! It would have been made for a very large Cadet or even matelot - and that doesn't seem at all common!

Can anyone ID this anorak for me please? I have no idea where it came from - is it possibly something common and foreign that was overdyed in the craze that existed in London for hippy dyeing army surplus a few years back?

On a siimiliar note, I have a pair of what I believe are the trousers that go with the actual Navy Ventile smock - elasticated ankles, no pockets, double thickness with grey liner, reinforced at the knees, zipped fly covered with three button flap and buttons fitted for braces. Waist is closed with olive green flat cotton draw pull through brass eyelets.

Any info?

(as an aside, when I was a cadet and had a cadet smock I hated it and bought my own 68 pattern DPM Jacket as soon as I was a big boy - now I want one and will never find one my size!)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Speedbird said:
Can anyone ID this anorak for me please?

Near to impossible without images. I think you've pre-empted the best we could do without them... in which case, I say Swedish with different buttons.

Same with the trousers.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
unknown anorak

I have had another look at my navy blue anorak ... and put it through the washing machine to freshen it up for wearing again - I used to use it for mountain biking for which it was ideal. It has the same shape pocket flaps as my Swedish snow anorak but it doesn't have the waist drawcord or epaulettes featured on the Swedish. It is also I believe a slighty lighter weight but that could be just it is more washed and worn than my for certain Swedish one.

I realise this is still not a photograph Mr CP ... I will try to rectify that over the weekend.

I am now certain the trousers are the matching ones to pair with the Royal Navy anorak described elsewhere - I was inaccurate with my earlier description about no pockets - I really meant no handwarmer pockets on the side seam because they do have a map/notebook pocket on the left thigh and a rear pocket on the right buttock. I have the original braces with them too. Despite the fact that the MoD label is missing (I wonder if I cut that out???) I am absolutely certain these are the deck trousers to match the jacket. They are fantastic trousers (I wear them just over a pair of base layer long johns) and I would commend them. I am just curious whether these are genuine ventile - they must at the very least be ventile-type fabric!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Possible/probable solution-

There are a couple of variations in the "Swedish smock/anoraks"-
early/late with/without epaulets and waist draw-string, funnily enough.
There's even been tell heard of a later, Swedish Airforce version.
I'd say that's what you have.

I have at least two different versions- with and without waist drawstring.
I'm sure that taking into account all the small details and the use of them over the span of 50 years there are many variations. There is known to be but I have not seen this verified a model '40 and a model '60. So far, I have been talking about the pullover/anorak "Vindblus"- the fully front-buttoning garment is the m62 "Snöblus", of the snow, or ski suit.

There are also known to be non-military examples.

Here's a Swedish forum thread-
http://www.samlarforum.nu/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8665&hilit=snöblus

And here is one-

http://www.militart.se/product.html?product_id=142&category_id=14

B
T

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Here are the photos of my Vindblus'

The known one - which I love for anything not too wet....

IMG_2068.jpg

This is the one we all believe is Swedish but not sure which flavour...

IMG_2065.jpg

The RN windproof deck trousers - or whatever the correct name is:

IMG_2066.jpg

And finally one for BT as I know this is Italian, 1970 dated (but I don't know if the pattern pre-dates 1970 by a little or a lot), I believe it is a desert or tropical issue field jacket - it isn't an anorak nor is it a Sahariana but it is a damned useful, hard wearing, hard working field coat for hot and dry places:

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

The back panel across the yoke of the shoulders is actually a kangaroo pocket for an emergency hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points