Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The I'm-too-good-for-this-job Attitude

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Reality ain't all that

Reality used to be that women, minorities, etc., didn't do certain jobs, and didn't get fair pay or treatment. Reality used to be that you could get canned for refusing unpaid overtime or get your head caved in for going on strike. If you suggested today that we wake up and readjust to those realities, people would laugh in your face.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think we need to see realities before we can change them. I am saying that sheltered, inexperienced people don't have a good idea of what is required to succeed. (I sure didn't.)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Where did I suggest that? All I suggested was that we could stand to be a little more caring as a society. Don't worry, it won't necessarily raise your taxes.

You said, among other things: "Yes, self-reliance and self-sufficiency are damned fine things. But do we have to put the whole burden on the individual for whatever social and economic conditions, maybe half a continent or world away, may do to them?"

If I have somehow misinterpreted what you meant by removing part of the burden of social and economic conditions from the individual, then by all means clarify.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I got a note from the Post Office yesterday. It stated that my mail is being held at the post office until I clear the path to my mailbox. There are two flower stems that have fallen over the path and some leaves from other plants that bushed out over the walk. Through snow and sleet and dark of night, but not over flower stems, I guess.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I got a note from the Post Office yesterday. It stated that my mail is being held at the post office until I clear the path to my mailbox. There are two flower stems that have fallen over the path and some leaves from other plants that bushed out over the walk. Through snow and sleet and dark of night, but not over flower stems, I guess.

They can't deliver your mail, but they can deliver a note?:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner