Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones jacket. Much hype, little substance?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Now, if I could just get one that actually FITS!!!!

The more old '30's and '40's leather jackets I see, the more the "Indy jacket" falls into line with them. Some old jackets are VERY "Indy like". Probably the only thing about the Indy jacket that MIGHT be "period incorrect" is that the bottom is split on the sides up to the cinch straps.(?) As far as it being lambskin, who cares? You can get them in goatskin or cowhide or horsehide too.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I am not too sure about that...
I was recently watching an old film (30s?) and one of the characters wore a leather jacket that looked very similar to my Wested! The only apparent difference was a lack of the back pleat.
I will review the movie to be certain but it brought a smile to my face seeing the style in a classic film.

Well I don't a 30s jacket, I always thought the armholes were a bit too big for being accurate!?

Regards,
Henrik

Feraud

Bartender
The real Henry said:
Well I don't a 30s jacket, I always thought the armholes were a bit too big for being accurate!?

Regards,
Henrik
That may be the case. However, we are now travelling into the dizzying realm of "accuracy". :)
I think nothing short of an actual 30's leather jacket will be accurate. Anything else is just "close enough". ;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I've already had my little episode with Wested. I ordered a goatskin Raiders jacket. I gave them every conceivable measurement. I measured myself, and I measured a jacket that fit me well and gave them all of that. I got the jacket about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it was marked "48", but was easily TWO sizes too large (The chest measurement was 56" instead of the 52" of the jacket that I have that fits me properly!). I have sent it back to them for a refund, but as yet have not heard whether or not it has arrived.

I'm not buying ANYTHING from outside the country (especially England) anymore. I despise sending things back (and I have to send virtually EVERYTHING back...I believe I send back more than I actually get....), and sending things back and forth to England costs an absolute fortune.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
For those not wanting the expense or hassles of dealing with companies overseas there are some alternatives. For a durable everyday Indy jacket that is reasonably priced try US Wings. If you want top of the line quality and great customer service and are able to afford it, then Gibson & Barnes is a good choice. Their Indy jacket is outstanding and will outlast a Wested.

Ray

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I don't know why, but I'm giving US Wings another chance. I have emailed them asking about sizing, but as yet, have not received a response. I won't get into the 3 month long wait, wrong jacket sent, wrong color sent, wrong size sent, etc. fiasco that I already had with them.

I have already started sizing communication with Flightsuits/Gibson and Barnes about their "Raider" jacket (not the Indy jacket). Nothing finalized yet, as no one seems to be back to work from Christmas yet. I can tell you that G&B says that they put 10"(!) of room in thier jackets, so for my requested 52" jacket chest dimension (for my 48" chest), I should get a size 42! Wow, that's oversized! As long as I can get something to fit, I don't care what the label says the size is!!!:D

And yes, I have heard many reports on how the G&B Indy jacket is superior in workmanship and will outlast a Wested! I may end up getting one from them, but I'm going to try all my other avenues first...I've pretty much tried most of them already and I'm running out of options!

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I had to revive this thread to tell my little Christmas story:

*edit for space*

This shows two things:

1 - Everything that you've heard about Wested's customer service, integrity, and product/work quality is true. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty!

2 - Even a Jewish guy like me can have his own Christmas miracle!

I am very pleased to hear your story of such an good outcome!

We often hear the bad stories and few of the good.

:eusa_clap

Baggers

Practically Family
Fatdutchman said:
...I can tell you that G&B says that they put 10"(!) of room in thier jackets, so for my requested 52" jacket chest dimension (for my 48" chest), I should get a size 42! Wow, that's oversized! As long as I can get something to fit, I don't care what the label says the size is!!!:D

Say what? [huh]
I've been following your trials and travails to find the right jacket, and I've been puzzled as to why you keep getting the wrong sizes shipped to you and now I think I may know the reason why.

Take that 10" with a grain of salt. I wear a 42 regular in just about every jacket I've owned for the last ten years, and when I ordered my Historical Horsehide A-2 from Gibson & Barnes I ordered the same size. The jacket I received fits great. Yes, it is a bit full cut around the chest to fit modern body types, but just enough to be comfortable. If I had wanted a closer fit, I could have only gone down one size (40 reg), but then the sleeves might have been too short. If you truly have a 48" chest, I don't see why you're coming to the conclusion that you need a size 52 jacket. But then to assume that because G&B adds 10", you need to order a 42, that really doesn't make sense. You're overthinking this.

If you physically measure 48" around your chest at the widest part, then order a size 48 jacket. The manufacturers add inches to their size measurement to get fit they want. The most you should have to do is adjust up or down one size depending on whether you want a loose or trim fitting garment.

If you don't trust me, just go to a clothing store and try on a few jackets. Just make sure it's the kind of store that employs real suit salesmen. The kind who know what size you wear from just watching you as you walk in the door! They'll be able to tell you what size you need!

Cheers!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I do NOT need a size 52 jacket...far from it! I need a jacket that measures about 52" - 53" around the outside of the chest. I need the Jacket itself to measure this way (wrap the tape measure around the garment under the armpits and measure the jacket just as you would the wearer). The lady at Flightsuits told me that they make their jackets 10" over the size...e.g. a size 42 jacket would measure 52" (the measurement of the garment itself), which is why she recommended this size to me for the desired close fit (actually, she recommended a size 42 Extra Tall). I want a jacket that actually "fits" me, not one that hangs on me like a garbage bag. I'm big and puffy enough, and don't need a jacket that accentuates that!!!:D

I cannot tell anyone, it seems, that I need a size 48 jacket. (actual measurements seem to be irrelevant.[huh] ) Everytime I do, I get something that is quite huge on me. For example, I "should" have a size XL jacket, but usually (but not always), I have to send it back and get a size Large. This is another one of my difficulties. People like to make things oversized, but to varying degrees... One maker's XL (or 48) is the same as another maker's L (or 44)....:eusa_doh: Other than sending back the XL tall for a Large tall, I usually don't have problems finding cloth jackets that fit. If there's a tall size available, either the large or xlarge tall size will usually fit fine. If they can do this with $30 jean jackets, they should be able to do this with $300-$400 leather jackets!;)

The old Cooper A2 in my avatar is a size 44 Long. It "fits"....sort-of. The sleeves and the body are both too short. The body of the jacket fits me quite nicely, but the sleeves are hung at such a horrible suit-coat downward angle, that I cannot move my arms in it. I can't easily reach my steering wheel without unzipping the jacket! It looks great, as long as I'm standing still with my hands in my pockets. This jacket measures 53" around the chest. It is "close" but not the least bit tight.

I just sent back a size 48 tall A2 from Flightjacket/US Authentic. It was one size too large, and I would have simply sent it back to get a size 46 tall if it weren't for the fact that the body of the garment was so long as to qualify it as a "car coat"! It was about 5" too long, and getting the next size down wouldn't have alleviated that problem.

I frankly don't expect the G&B size 42 jacket to be large enough, despite what the lady said, and think that probably a size 44 would be closer... If she gets back to me, I think I'll have them send me standard size 44 Tall to see what parts fit, and what parts don't....

I guess the clothing makers think that anyone with a 48" chest must be a 300+ pound fat-@55, and nobody this size could possibly be reasonably well-built. Man, I'd hate to be a body builder...I guess that's why they always run around wearing no shirt and just a pair of shorts! They can't find clothes that fit either! lol

To further lead the thread astray (and just for me to vent a bit more :rage: ) here are photos of the Wested jacket I just sent back. It is marked size 48. It is at least one size too large, probably two. This jacket measures 56" around the chest. I was told by someone that this jacket was likely mislabled and is actually a size 52, Wested jackets being cut slim and only 4" over the wearer's size (hence, a size 48 should measure 52"). I haven't heard from Wested yet, so I don't know if it has even arrived to them. I'm sure they're probably shut down all week for Christmas/New Year's.:mad:

Perhaps you can see where my continued frustration comes from.
TooBig1.jpg

TooBig2.jpg

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Not So Fat Dutchman,

Here is how I understand A-2 jackets chest size is measured. Lay the jacket flat and zipped and measure across the chest in front 1 inch below the armpits. For example, a true size 44 jacket will measure 24 inches across the front ( doubled then is 48 inches ). Take the 48 and subtract 4 inches and you have a 44. Since you need 52 inches of room in the chest then a size 48 should work for you depending on the manufacturer. I have tried on a G&B Civil A-2 in a 44R and found plenty of room to layer under it. A 42R fit me perfect. I have a 42 chest. I have been told that their HH A-2 is pretty true to size although I have never seen one. My guess is a size 46 would fit you best. Good luck.

Ray

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
What exactly is "not so"?

The Cooper A2 I have is sized 44 Long. The chest measurement is 53" around. The size 48 tall I just sent back to US Authentic measured 55" around. Everyone sizes everything differently. The US Authentic size 46 would probably fit me around the body, but there are other fit issues with them.

Every cloth jacket I have that fits me well consistently measure right at 52" around the chest, whether they are called "Large" or "ExtraLarge". Everybody sizes everything differently.

I have to believe that 50 or more years ago, things were much more true to size....

Feraud

Bartender
Was the oversized Wested returned for a corrected one? How did that one work out?
Mail order for clothes can be a frustrating business. Companies vary their measurements. I am under the impression Wested is the only company that will work with your actual measurements. Aren't the other companies "off the rack" sizes?
I have read about sizing problems with regards to all the companies mentioned in the thread. How much is a mistake on the part of the company and what are the options?
Get yourself measured by a tailor, send the measurements and hope for the best. If you cannot try a jacket on in a store then there could possibly be a lot of back and forth shipping to endure.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
What exactly is "not so"?

The Cooper A2 I have is sized 44 Long. The chest measurement is 53" around. The size 48 tall I just sent back to US Authentic measured 55" around. Everyone sizes everything differently. The US Authentic size 46 would probably fit me around the body, but there are other fit issues with them.

Every cloth jacket I have that fits me well consistently measure right at 52" around the chest, whether they are called "Large" or "ExtraLarge". Everybody sizes everything differently.

I have to believe that 50 or more years ago, things were much more true to size....

S M L etc etc are have always been specific to each particular maker there's nothing new there. The bands are also larger eg 'S' 'might be from 34-38.

Sizings for specific measures 38, 40 etc etc are that size plus extra for movement that has alway been true too.

If you can order by numbered measures rather by the lettered sizings the graduations are closer together so you are more likely to get the fit you want.

One problem you seem to be coming up against is that modern clothing has become prone to "Vanity Sizing" ie the size marked is actually as size or 2 smaller than it actually is. So you may need to order smaller.

Modern S M L also show this and have moved up a band or two.

Yup, you are right everyone sizes differently and vintage was closer fit. Nothing new here.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Wested is, I presume, shut down until after New Years. I haven't heard back from them yet, so I don't know if the jacket has arrived back to them. I am thinking the Wested jacket was simply cut the wrong size (maybe a 52) and mislabeled. Everyone tells me that Westeds are slim cut and true to size and a size 48 should measure out at about my ideal of 52". BUT, they are out of goatskin for the forseeable future, so can't make me another....

I'm still holding out hope for Flightsuits/Gibson & Barnes. I don't care what they call the size, as long as it fits!!:D The 10" over size that the lady told me was for their "Raider" jacket, and not necessarily for their "Expedition"/Indy jacket, which I didn't ask about. I will ask how they size them as well. The "Raider" looks like it would make a good early '50's style (perhaps even '40's) civilian jacket.

I've been trying to find a leather jacket since last June..... I think I've blown enough money on shipping them back and forth that I could have used to buy another jacket!

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
How about this: Anyone here know of there are any quality leather jacket firms near FDM that he can go and visit in person? You're in Kentucky right? Anywhere near Corbin?

BTW your jacket is not particularly badly fitting, you could loose a couple of inches off the chest size plus get "eighties cut" to get rid of the excess on the body. But a lot tighter and you wouldn't be able to move in it.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Believe me, that Wested is HUGE on me. I felt like a little kid trying on his daddy's jacket.;)

There's nothing anywhere near me, that I have been able to find. I'm not sure where Corbin is. I'm about 65 miles NNW of Nashville, Tenn.

I am going to go down to the U.S. Cav store in Ft. Campbell (maybe this afternoon...). They used to carry leather jackets (flight jackets) and maybe I can find something there that they have on hand that will fit me that I can use as an "interim" jacket until I get what I really want...

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, I just got an email from Wested. The jacket hasn't arrived yet. It was sent to them on the 12th...

Well, U.S. Cavalry was a bust. Nothing. Of course, the last time I was in there and saw leather jackets was about 1988.... Bought one, too, actually. I gave it to my sister when I bought the Cooper a year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails