Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones jacket. Much hype, little substance?

Baggers

Practically Family
Just out of curiosity, did you happen to take any pictures of yourself wearing that Wested in which you posed normally with your arms held relaxed at your sides and the jacket hanging naturally? The two you posted really don't don't tell me anything because you're not showing how the jacket looks when you're not trying to show how "badly" it fits.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
If you insist....
TooBig5.jpg

TooBig6.jpg

I don't know why it's hard to believe that the jacket was too big...

It was actually rather hard to stand "normally" while wearing the jacket. It just wouldn't "hang" on me with the armpits of the garment so far away from mine...

Now, if I could just find a leather jacket that fit like this....
JustRight1.jpg

And this one is not exactly "tight" either...

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, I figured I'd give it a shot...I went ahead and ordered a brown goatskin Indy jacket from US Wings. I just found out that they have discontinued ALL their long sizes in this jacket (which they could have told me 6 months ago...:eusa_doh: ). They are selling what they have left and then no more. They are out of the XL tall. I just ordered a Large tall. They told me that the Large measures 51" around the chest, SO, I'm ordering one now, before they're all gone. If it don't fit...I'll just send it back...maybe I'll try one of their A2's...why not.

"Raconteur Magazine" calls it the greatest costume drama since "The Tragic Affair of Johnathan Nightingale".

JD Boswell

New in Town
Just got my Goatskin "Indy" Jacket in XL from US Wings for Christmas! :) :) :) Fits great!

No need for a long in the jacket. I wear a 35 inch sleeve and normaly need a 46L-48L jacket and this fits great! Top quality leather and manufacture! Would highly recommend this jacket and US Wings!

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Hey Fatdutchman,

Check this cool jacket out on Ebay: #{Edit - No live auction links, please}. I think this one will fit you and you may get a great price on it.

Ray;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
HA! Finally...a leather jacket that fits!!! It's the US Wings size Large Long (a size "too small" for me). It actually fits me rather well. It is relatively close to the body, and I have a fair amount of free motion while wearing the jacket. I was shocked. I still can't get over it. The leather is the "brown" goatskin. It is definitlely not the brown on the website/catalog, and the lining is not the brown cotton that they show. The leather is a VERY dark brown, almost black, which actually doesn't bother me. The lining is a dark grayish nylon. I ain't complainin'...it FITS!

The leather is nice and substantial feeling. Not the super soft stuff like from Wested or US Authentic, which I don't like. Leather should feel like leather, man!;)

A few quick snapshots... The collar is still stiff and needs to be "trained" to lay down...
USWings1.jpg

USWings2.jpg

USWings3.jpg

bigrex

New in Town
Coyle's Indy Jacket

Has anyone purchased a Coyle's Indy Jacket offered by Todd's Costumes? They will do a custom jacket for $500 and their standard size jackets at $150 are a real bargain. It's made of lambskin and really looks like the real thing on film in my opinion. The fit is a bit tight, but so was Harrison Ford's even though I noted the upcoming film has him wearing a slightly larger jacket as far as the sleeve length. Here's me sporting the standard sized jacket, and an online link to the vendor.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/jackets/indiana_jones_style_jacket.htm

indy4.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy5.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Lambskin would certainly give you an accurate looking drape - as I recall, the jackets in the original three films were all lambskin, which is also Wested's default option. I'll probably go for horse or goat myslf when comes the time for an Indy as I prefer my leather to be a bit heavier than lamb tends to be, but yeah, that's what Ford wore. Makes sense, really, bearing in mind the desert conditions in which he wore those leather jackets for much of the filming!

FWIW, I gather the jacket in Crystal Skull will be cowhide.

Jovan

Suspended
Lamb is fine... if you just want it for looks. I would personally upgrade to something sturdier if you want to actually USE it, which I would.

bigrex: Do you work as an Indiana Jones impersonator, by any chance?

Edward

Bartender
Jovan said:
Lamb is fine... if you just want it for looks. I would personally upgrade to something sturdier if you want to actually USE it, which I would.

Yes, as with anyting else, it's horses for courses.... I ould prefer soemthing sturdier tht can take more abuse, though there are folks who have opted for lamb as a Summer weight option. From that POV, it's tempting.... can never have too many options for leather! :)

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
By use it do you mean something other than wearing it?

I have a lambskin Wested and it is sturdy enough to wear and take abuse within the realm of everyday use.

If anyone is planning on extreme sports I recommend the proper gear and not a leather jacket.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:

I have a lambskin Wested and it is sturdy enough to wear and take abuse within the realm of everyday use.

If anyone is planning on extreme sports I recommend the proper gear and not a leather jacket.

Ah yes but I have a tendency to wear a leather jacket in areas where I'm breaking brush and always have, this is generally an A2 or now a US Wings goat skin Indy jacket that was one of their cheaper imports or as a non leather option a Carhartt but that is kinda heavy. Its light weight, tough as nails and its comfortable. I've never been a fan of more "modern" outdoors wear.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree that the lambskin is FINE for everyday use (including hiking), but it's not very tough...

As I've reported here before, the back panel on mine got caught by the edge of my car door, and it tore a big v-shaped gash. Goatskin would have laughed it off, totally unharmed. (As it turned out, Wested repaired it beautifully FOR FREE, including the shipping cost - which is really some above-and-beyond-what's-expected customer service!)

I love my lambskin Wested for its superior warm-weather comfort, but it's definitely not as tough as my other leather jackets. Strong enough for normal use, but I've learned that it pays to be a little more careful with it.

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:

As an adventuring jacket.

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey guys I'd like to point out that generally speaking you guys are right about the durability of lambskin BUT all lambskins are not created equal. In fact most of the lambskin that's used for garments is from Italy and is definately on the thin side, like we're all used to with these jackets. However, there are lambskins from colder climates that are MUCH hardier - namely New Zealand lambskin. These are the two main skins that are used for garments and they are a world apart in terms of tuffness. Get yourself one from US Wings and compare it to the other lambskin Indy jackets that are out there, you won't think it's even lambskin. It's more like a cowhide but with character. I have two of them right now, one I'm having altered and the other I'll be selling soon. I've owned many of the Wested lambskin ones and my current favorite is my Todd's custom (which is a thin pre-washed lambskin) but for heavy duty it's the US Wings version of lamb!

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails