Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Indiana Jones jacket. Much hype, little substance?

TheRealDrew

New in Town
Well, I own a Wested lambskin Indy jacket and it looks good. I also know it will take all the abuse I will put it through - I don't intend to go crawling through bug-infested tunnels, thank you very much! - and, coupled with HJ's Poet fedora and my "vintage" Midland Co. GP ammunition musette bag, I look like a REAL adventurer....

photo.php

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I am a Wested supporter. My lamb off-the-peg 40 fits like a glove (or a well fitting jacket). Great for warmer weather but certainly keeps the chill off too. Not as warm as my other jackets but it looks great. When I have the hood down on the car, I wear it.

I would consider a horse version to see what that is like, although the lamb isn't that weak really.

1stsargent

New in Town
I owned one several years back and for me never lived up to my expectations. I soon realized that the indy jacket is essentially a 80's jacket made to look like a 30's jacket. Its to bad that some take movie wardrobe designed and made in the 80's as the definitive 30's/40's adventure jacket. So for me it was all hype. But that is just me. I mean no disrespect to those who like and wear them.

1stsargent said:
I owned one several years back and for me never lived up to my expectations. I soon realized that the indy jacket is essentially a 80's jacket made to look like a 30's jacket. Its to bad that some take movie wardrobe designed and made in the 80's as the definitive 30's/40's adventure jacket. So for me it was all hype. But that is just me. I mean no disrespect to those who like and wear them.
I see it as just the opposite--a 1930s design updated to 1980s filmmaking sensibilities.

Is it the definitive "adventuring" jacket? Clearly, no; Harrison Ford himself has been quoted as saying, "Whoever had the bright idea of putting Indiana Jones in a leather jacket and a fedora in the jungle ought to be dragged into the street and shot." Realistically, it's not even a good "all weather" jacket--too warm for some climates, not warm enough for others, far from rainproof. As has been stated, it's sole purpose was to look good and survive a few months of filmmaking.

Is it a good looking jacket? To many, yes. That's the reason I bought my Wested a couple of years ago (Raiders style in Novapelle, for those who might be wondering). I wasn't trying to look like Indiana Jones, or even be correctly attired for a particular era. I like the style; nothing more, nothing less.

Is it a comfortable jacket? Mine is. But I live in the Los Angeles area of southern California, an area that has a rather temperate climate the majority of the year; in fact, my jacket spends far more time on a hanger than it does on me. And because I wear long/tall sizes, I had mine custom made; I sent Wested my measurements, they sent me a jacket, it looks and fits the way I want it to, it's warm enough for my purposes, I'm happy.

But the question was, "What do we feel about a jacket that was created for a fictional "movie" character, set in the 30's/40's, that attempts to recreate an impressionistic garment that is felt to be typical adventure wear for that period and embodies the spirit of 'golden age' spirit of adventure?" I think the key word here is "impressionistic". Raiders of the Lost Ark and it's prequel/sequels aren't documentaries, they're romanticized/idealized versions of the era as far as wardrobe and art direction are concerned; not the first time filmmakers got the details wrong, won't be the last. And, to be brutally honest, the average moviegoer doesn't care--they simply want to be entertained. Those who are truly interested in the era will know the difference. Those who aren't...let them live in the bliss of ignorance.

Of course, these are just my opinions...I could be wrong. ;)

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I think that it is a good looking jacket irrespective of anything else. The jackets heritage doesn't bother me either way - although I enjoy the films, I don't want to look like Indy. It would be silly for people to think of it as a vintage jacket repro but it does take its styling from yesteryear.

I like the jacket almost as much as my Highwayman. I know its not Aero quality but its not at all bad. I think some people are a bit harsh with their views on Wested but then we all have different experiences.

Does anyone have any Wested horsehide experience?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For my friends and I in the 1980's the IJ jacket was simply seen as an improvement on the A2. None of those silly knits.

It's a good looking utility jacket, quite like many from the period, but the Wested's are not teh best of them The G&B and US WIngs are by far the most robust. And since it is meant to be an advenutrer jacket, that's the criteria for me.

Seb Lucas said:
It's a good looking utility jacket, quite like many from the period, but the Wested's are not teh best of them The G&B and US WIngs are by far the most robust. And since it is meant to be an advenutrer jacket, that's the criteria for me.
I seriously considered the Gibson & Barnes Expedition jacket simply because of their reputation for durability. In the end I chose Wested because a) I normally wear a 44 long, and G&B's generic sizing wasn't quite right for me, and b) Wested's Novapelle; it's far too soon to know what the longevity of this leather will be, but I love the look and feel.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I've had one for years, didn't even know what it was (long before I knew there were names/type to any jackets). It's distressed cow--soft, easy on-and-off--and fits over sweaters/sweatshirts, etc., a bit more roomy than others. It's cut simple---I think it's US Wings, would have to check--no ostentatious details, and reminded me of a basic no-frills straight line Italian-designed jacket (only heavier), but w/o the taper, and I think that's what appealed to me.

frussell

One Too Many
I should have known better

I saw some of the reviews here and elsewhere on the Todd's Costumes Coyle's Indy Jacket (Standard), and decided I could afford $150, so I took a shot. The results: disappointing. I remembered reading somewhere one negative review of this jacket as a "leather windbreaker," which is surprisingly accurate. I don't mind lightweight, but the measurements on this jacket as stated on the website were not anywhere near what I got. I felt like I was trying on my wife's jacket, and she's 5", whereas I'm 6'5" and about 280 lbs. It's going back to Todd's today, hope their return policy is as great as their shipping service. I'll stick with my old LL Bean leather car coat, which is not an Indy style, and is built like a Mack truck. As a large fella, I usually don't expect much from sight-unseen purchases, but the measurements posted got my hopes up. I think this jacket would have been great for a matador that wanted an Indy look for his next bullfight. It was short, short, short in the body, but the sleeves were nearly long enough, like the little mini-sweaters teenage girls wear nowadays. I guess it was worth a shot. Frank

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
The Wested's are great everyday jackets. In my experience they are plenty strong enough. For a heavier jacket (not Aero heavy but noticeably heavier than Lamb) try cow or horse. I have recently bought a cowhide Wested in LC/CS style and it is different from my old ROLA lamb. True, you are not getting Aero quality and vintage accuracy but I am a supporter of Wested and don't believe these jackets are that weak.

An A2 style was looked at in the early stages of filming Raiders. I think you can see Tom Selleck wearing it on the DVD extras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyHSgEbNng

nicholasb said:
An A2 style was looked at in the early stages of filming Raiders. I think you can see Tom Selleck wearing it on the DVD extras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSyHSgEbNng
Directors and/or others responsible for casting a film will often have auditioning actors wear different types of wardrobe to see what works and what doesn't.

There's a rather detailed write-up on IndyGear.com that suggests Spielberg and Lucas wanted a "military style" jacket, but not an actual military jacket. Eventually Peter Botwright (then the owner/operator of Leather Concessionaires, now Wested) provided 14 lambskin jackets based on his "James Dean" pattern, with the addition of A-2 style pockets and an action pleat.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zombie_61 said:
There's a rather detailed write-up on IndyGear.com that suggests Spielberg and Lucas wanted a "military style" jacket, but not an actual military jacket. Eventually Peter Botwright (then the owner/operator of Leather Concessionaires, now Wested) provided 14 lambskin jackets based on his "James Dean" pattern, with the addition of A-2 style pockets and an action pleat.

That is changing as we speak. You should really check out the jacket section over at Club Obi-Wan.

bruce wayne said:
That is changing as we speak. You should really check out the jacket section over at Club Obi-Wan.
Thanks. Until recently, I haven't been over there much in the last year. I know they do their best to update the history on wardrobe and prop items, but it can't be an easy task.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The A-2 was a "silly" flight jacket, rather than just a silly jacket.
I can't quite see the comparison, or the improvement.

B
T

Fancy comparing the Indiana Jones jacket to a flight jacket when they are obviously nothing alike - outrageous!

Tone

A-List Customer
Wested continues to offer plenty of options for a jacket-grade version of the Indiana Jones jacket. For those outside of "indy specs" as well. ;)

Foregoing the inevitably dogmatic myth and lore behind the jacket history for who made what and when, etc., Wested still has a great jacket in a variety of styles and leather. My lamb is still going strong after all these years.

Would love to see a pic of that Novapelle, Zombie.

Tone said:
Would love to see a pic of that Novapelle, Zombie.
Well, I'm not much of a photographer, and my wife is even worse. I couldn't possibly do better than this photograph posted on Wested's website, which shows the color variations rather nicely. In person the Novapelle (on my jacket, anyway) isn't quite the "warm" brown seen in the photo; it's a bit darker, more like a chocolate bar, but it still shows the color variations nicely.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Outrageous?
Just wondering if there was any more to this.
B
T

Obviously I was being sardonic. When the Indy pattern was ordered through Western Costume, the request was for an A2 without knits. The odd back design was added to accommodate the whip and holster which kept getting caught up.

Incidentally the Hard Rock cafe in Sydney (and I understnad one or two in teh US) had an A2 repo up on the wall claiming to be the Indy movie jacket.

The original auditions for Indy were held with the wannabe actors - including the original casting of Indy with Tom Selleck - auditioning in an A2 repo.

Sure the movie jacket is different to an A2, but for the non-fanatic it's very close to an A2 and certainly inspired by them. And for me, an improvement since I hate the knits - but that's personal preference. ;) Sure, the A2 is a classic of design, but so too is the Volkswagen Beetle and I hate them too.

Some of this info comes from COW which has spent many years studying the origins of the Indy jacket.

BT if I had known 20 years ago about the Californian HH jacket you unearthed on this site, I would have gone that route instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider