Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Infantry shirt

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
So I was bumming around the Mall and at the Gap store they have a "1930's inspired shirt" that they are calling "the infantry shirt" and what looks like a "tanker jacket"
So any one else seen this or have some idea on them?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
It's a light brown modern style cheap thin cotton shirt, from the looks of it, just like all their other cheap thin cotton shirts.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Ahh, the Gap...

I bought a pair of their "Indian Officers' Field Trousers" in a charity (goodwill) shop for 2GBP. They are actually rather useful (they have a button-in lining) but bear no relation to anything worn by Indian officers!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
It's a light brown modern style cheap thin cotton shirt, from the looks of it, just like all their other cheap thin cotton shirts.

So, almost exactly like these actual US Army ones?
http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/mi...itary-dress-khaki-shirt-used-long-sleeve.html

Military stuff is big this season, you should be able to find stuff like that all over the place. Gap is making one, and lee was at least experimenting with a corduroy version, as I found one that was probably a sample at one of their outlets last year. Many other makers too, military stuff always seems to come up when times are less then good.

Doug C

Practically Family
Yea they are "inspired" and actually I didn't see a whole lot wrong with it, looked like a descent shirt to me. It's not going to be a reproduction of any specific military shirt (again the add says "inspired) but Gap's not claiming it to be. It's just their modern version of an infantry shirt (could be any number of items that inspired it). It's not going to be a cheap shirt in the since of Wal-mart quality, I think Gap's featured items are usually a good step up from that. You also won't pay japanese repro prices either. Don't write off the Gap completely, some of their stuff is pretty descent IMHO.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know, before K-Mart started having troubles, their 'Route 66' Brand made a pretty decent "infantry" shirt. I still have one that I wear, but they are just not available in the stores anymore. They were much less expensive that the GAP too, I assure you!

-dixon cannon

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Oh yeah $45 price range so I passed, their "tanker jacket' on the other hand was not that bad but not what I rate as a winter jacket.
When I did find a sales person I (just for a laugh) asked if they were going to make an Ike jacket, all I got back was a blank look.

Oh well.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
Those are Marine Corps dress shirts. Neither they nor Army dress shirts were thin or cheap-looking.

Sorry. How about these? The fabric is only 150 gram, and they're very authentic to the ones used for the indiana jones film, which were probably surplus themselves. Not too different from the gap shirt.

http://www.wested.com/indyshirt-7-p.asp

Fabric thickness has nothing to do with quality. Gap's stuff may look cheaper to you becuase they don't iron it and make it look as pretty before selling. That has more to do with the image they try to project the the quality of the item, which is usually quite good.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've got a few light cotton shirts that might be described as 'thin', including a couple made from cotton lawn and several cotton ones in Liberty prints. These are thin but high thread count. The density of the weave means that they're durable and keep their shape.

Thin is not necessarily a bad thing. But cheap and thin means lower quality, which you'd expect at the price Gap sells cotton shirts for. Theirs are generally made from fabric with a considerably lower thread count, making them less good than those made from better quality fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo