Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I think we are all saying the same things and yet still coming across as being on the defensive. Most everyone who has posted to this thread sees a place for wool fedoras. Most all of us are independent enough and comfortable in our own skins that we don't seek the approval of others in choosing hats (or anything else). I think we all reject the snobbery that can sometimes come through when talking about "average" hats.

I like my wool fedoras and I'll continue to wear them. However, in my experiences wool does not make for a good dress hat. Conversely, worsted wool makes outstanding suits. I wouldn't look at a polyester dinner jacket for the same reason that I wouldn't look at a wool dress hat. The materials are fine, but he applications don't play to their strong points. That said, I would never look down at, or feel superior to, another because they were wearing some garb that I personally would not. Ultimately, there are no rights and wrongs in styles and personal preferences are just that, personal.

For me: Wool fedoras (non-western brimmed hats of any description) are reserved for outdoorsy pursuits, outside work, and when Tweed might also be worn... a county type of hat. Fur felt can fill the bill anywhere on the spectrum depending on style, shape, and features.

One of my intents in starting this thread was to counter all of the posts I've read where new guys become "educated" and move on to better/more expensive fur felt hats and purge their wool hats in the process. I'm saying to keep your wools and wear them as you see fit.

To me, it's like saying I used to drive pickups until I found that sports cars handle better. The statement is true, but pickups are still the better choice when you need to make a hardware store run and bring home a couple sheets of plywood. And even if you don't need to haul a load, sometimes it's nice to just drive the truck.

PLUS 1.................I am wearing a wide brim soft wool felt Baily today because of the impending snow of doom. It is super soft with an un-reeded sweat and I can scrunch it and beat the snow off with no damage to the hat. It is my "go to", "there is a heavy snow coming" hat. I to own everything from a cloth cap (only two of those) to half a dozen wool hats to some wool/rabbit blends (vintage) to many new and vintage rabbit/hare, Coney, rabbit/beaver blends and all beaver hats......they each have a place. Still looking for a couple of Nutria..:)
M

Last edited:

Duff

New in Town
Hopefully I'm not causing any trouble by bringing back this old thread.

I know what the consensus is: wool has it's place, but fur felt is the generally better choice (longevity, quality, etc.).

While I'm almost completely convinced that it's better to save your money and try to find a quality fur felt hat, I stumbled upon a vintage wool felt hat that caught my eye. I'm liking the proportions and the color. Still, not sure if that's reason enough to pull the trigger.

I believe it's an old Country Gentleman hat from the '60s. For about $40, though, I'm really hesitant to buy a pre-owned, vintage wool felt.

What do you guys think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know what the consensus is: wool has it's place, but fur felt is the generally better choice (longevity, quality, etc.).

While I'm almost completely convinced that it's better to save your money and try to find a quality fur felt hat, I stumbled upon a vintage wool felt hat that caught my eye. I'm liking the proportions and the color. Still, not sure if that's reason enough to pull the trigger.

I believe it's an old Country Gentleman hat from the '60s. For about $40, though, I'm really hesitant to buy a pre-owned, vintage wool felt.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 118214
View attachment 118215
View attachment 118216
I am liking it! Especially with the pug............
M

What do you guys think?

View attachment 118214
View attachment 118215
View attachment 118216
We've all heard the stories about wool and shrinkage and I haven't had good luck with wool hats myself, but I've only ever owned the cheap "It'll do for a while" wool hats that all shrunk no matter what I did. That said, if I saw that hat in a vintage goods shop and it fit me properly $40 would be a no-brainer. But if I couldn't examine it in-person and/or the seller couldn't provide accurate measurements, I'd have to seriously think on it first. But, again, that's based on my personal experience. If you like it and $40 isn't the difference between paying or not paying the rent this month, pull that trigger. :D

Duff

New in Town
@M Hatman @Zombie_61

So, it seems that the seller had two different sizings listed, and when I asked him to take the circumference measurement, it came to be half an inch bigger than my actual size.

I'm not sure how big of a difference 1/2" makes, but if it's enough of a difference when it comes to hats, I'd rather pass than have a nice looking hat that I won't wear.

On the topic of wool fedoras, found a "crushable felt" green Stetson with no band. I really like the color, but the sizing is a vague "medium", and it has no band :(

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@M Hatman @Zombie_61

So, it seems that the seller had two different sizings listed, and when I asked him to take the circumference measurement, it came to be half an inch bigger than my actual size.

I'm not sure how big of a difference 1/2" makes, but if it's enough of a difference when it comes to hats, I'd rather pass than have a nice looking hat that I won't wear.

On the topic of wool fedoras, found a "crushable felt" green Stetson with no band. I really like the color, but the sizing is a vague "medium", and it has no band :(

View attachment 118304

View attachment 118305
THAT one looks a little coarse in the photo....cannot imagine in real life. Sometimes putting on a ribbon can become quite the ordeal....
M

Duff

New in Town
THAT one looks a little coarse in the photo....cannot imagine in real life. Sometimes putting on a ribbon can become quite the ordeal....
M

It turns out that it doesn't matter either way, the seller realized that she lost the hat after I sent in my questions.

Now I'm just concerned with the other hat, and if a half inch size difference is too big to properly fit my head.

...Now I'm just concerned with the other hat, and if a half inch size difference is too big to properly fit my head.
You can put a little spacing material behind the sweatband if you think the fit is too loose to be comfortable for you. Half-an-inch too big is easier to work with than half-an-inch too small.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

What do you guys think?

View attachment 118214
View attachment 118215
View attachment 118216

I don't know. I wouldn't. Woolies are very hard to shape - they don't hold very well. And I don't like the crown on this one. Too tapered. And I think the brim would just lie there when it's on your head.

I think that as far as woolies go, homburgs and derbies would be acceptable (for me), as the brims, and crowns for derbies, tend to be super stiff, and will hold their shape.

It turns out that it doesn't matter either way, the seller realized that she lost the hat after I sent in my questions.

Now I'm just concerned with the other hat, and if a half inch size difference is too big to properly fit my head.

There are lots of good deals out there so don’t get discouraged. I like wool, but I bet you can find fur if you keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyeofsauron

One of the Regulars
I'm fairly new here and own both wool and fur hats and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I understand where everybody is coming from on the quality of wool. There are some wool hats, I have two I bought at the beginning, that the quality is wanting at best, especially compared to fur, well compared to anything really. On the other hand, I have bought several Fedoras lately whose quality, again not as good as fur, but much closer. I've not had any problem with shrinkage and I had to reshape a couple as they where a bit crushed in shipping with no problem. I try to reserve my fur for when I have dressed up a bit. My wools work better when I dress more casual. As several posters have said if you like it, wear it. I feel great when I where all my hats and will continue too. I am really impressed with how polite everybody is even when disagreeing, which has made me open up more and to post more often.

I'm fairly new here and own both wool and fur hats and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I understand where everybody is coming from on the quality of wool. There are some wool hats, I have two I bought at the beginning, that the quality is wanting at best, especially compared to fur, well compared to anything really. On the other hand, I have bought several Fedoras lately whose quality, again not as good as fur, but much closer. I've not had any problem with shrinkage and I had to reshape a couple as they where a bit crushed in shipping with no problem. I try to reserve my fur for when I have dressed up a bit. My wools work better when I dress more casual. As several posters have said if you like it, wear it. I feel great when I where all my hats and will continue too. I am really impressed with how polite everybody is even when disagreeing, which has made me open up more and to post more often.

To be able to discuss, and even disagree, without being confrontational or impolite is the mark of a gentleman. Sadly, not everyone here on the Lounge fits that description, but for the most part we all play together nicely.

I still have a few wool fedora(ish) hats that I plan on keeping, but I’ve found myself gravitating to wool caps on those occasions where I once chose wool brimmed hats. I also like wool when in the woods as vegetation brushing against it doesn’t make a sound unlike fur felt. In any case, it’s all too easy to become snobbish and dismissive or what we feel to be inferior. Wool doesn’t need to be relegated to entry level hats on your way to discovering fur felt. I’m looking forward to seeing your hats in the various threads.

Eyeofsauron

One of the Regulars
To be able to discuss, and even disagree, without being confrontational or impolite is the mark of a gentleman. Sadly, not everyone here on the Lounge fits that description, but for the most part we all play together nicely.

I still have a few wool fedora(ish) hats that I plan on keeping, but I’ve found myself gravitating to wool caps on those occasions where I once chose wool brimmed hats. I also like wool when in the woods as vegetation brushing against it doesn’t make a sound unlike fur felt. In any case, it’s all too easy to become snobbish and dismissive or what we feel to be inferior. Wool doesn’t need to be relegated to entry level hats on your way to discovering fur felt. I’m looking forward to seeing your hats in the various threads.

I have been posting a bit on what I'm wearing today thread. One thing I didn't mention about the wool hats I have been getting is the colors. You can easily get wools in several colors. They are fun to wear at times. So far this has been a nice way to spend some time talking about a style which unfortunately has faded away.

I have been posting a bit on what I'm wearing today thread. One thing I didn't mention about the wool hats I have been getting is the colors. You can easily get wools in several colors. They are fun to wear at times. So far this has been a nice way to spend some time talking about a style which unfortunately has faded away.

If you like a variety of colors, check out what Agnoulita offers! They have them in fur and wool, and the palette is quite impressive!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

In any case, it’s all too easy to become snobbish and dismissive or what we feel to be inferior. Wool doesn’t need to be relegated to entry level hats on your way to discovering fur felt.

Well said, Brent. Thank you.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
My first hat was litefelt crushable from baileys, loved it. Till I got my Akubra. Kept wearing the litefelt till it eventually shrank too much.

But I can't bring my Akubra on a bike and wear it over my helmet head like I could with the crusher. So recently I picked up another crusher, a Stetson Ashley. I wanted something to role into a pack on a bicycle or motorbike that I could wear upon arrival. Also to role into a backpack for hiking. I picked the Ashley for the earflaps and tall wide crown, I have a tall head? Low ears? Whatever. My head touches the top inside of the crown sometimes.
The crown on the Ashley isn't as tall in person as it looks in pictures, but I steamed and re-bashed it a little higher. I also bought it a size big, I'm planning for it to shrink.
I bought it knowing the limitations of wool, and for a specific role in my headwear line up. I wanted a winter weather beater that I can also role into a pannier.
My Coober Pedy is unarguably a better hat, but wool has its place if you work within it's shortcomings. I fully expect the Ashley to shrink and lose some shape, and I accounted for that.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first hat was litefelt crushable from baileys, loved it. Till I got my Akubra. Kept wearing the litefelt till it eventually shrank too much.

But I can't bring my Akubra on a bike and wear it over my helmet head like I could with the crusher. So recently I picked up another crusher, a Stetson Ashley. I wanted something to role into a pack on a bicycle or motorbike that I could wear upon arrival. Also to role into a backpack for hiking. I picked the Ashley for the earflaps and tall wide crown, I have a tall head? Low ears? Whatever. My head touches the top inside of the crown sometimes.
The crown on the Ashley isn't as tall in person as it looks in pictures, but I steamed and re-bashed it a little higher. I also bought it a size big, I'm planning for it to shrink.
I bought it knowing the limitations of wool, and for a specific role in my headwear line up. I wanted a winter weather beater that I can also role into a pannier.
My Coober Pedy is unarguably a better hat, but wool has its place if you work within it's shortcomings. I fully expect the Ashley to shrink and lose some shape, and I accounted for that.
You can always give it a hit of Scotchguard every few months to keep it from shrinking. Just an idea.
Wear it in good health
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR