Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, I think that opinions are divided on the issue - and it seems, nobody actually knows for sure. I read the this thread a while ago and have just gone over it again. The debate begins on page 4 and goes on all the way to the last page. It gets quite animated along the way, but it's very interesting.

The answer is maybe ... and that's final! :D

TheDane, yes the opinions are divided on the issue. With maybe I can live! haha

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
TheDane, thanks for the kind words and don't worry, I will post again my fiend!! Yes you're right the question from Qvist goes on the new Vita Felt Stetsons! :cool:

Last edited:

Banky

One of the Regulars
I bought the Bailey's fedora from the Brass Rooster in Milwaukee (Excellent place, by the way), and the owner said he would treat it with some sort of wax if I remember correctly.

Thanks, I'll pass the message on to John. We don't use a wax, it's a product meant to replenish essential oils in the felt it also acts as a degree of water repellent.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I'll pass the message on to John. We don't use a wax, it's a product meant to replenish essential oils in the felt it also acts as a degree of water repellent.

Please give John and Kate my very best regards. It was Kate that actually picked this hat out for me, so I'm really gratfeul to her. As I mentioned earlier, as a complete novice, I didn't pay much attention to exactly what treatment was done. I was only in Milwaukee for a couple of days, but if I go back for a longer time, I would dearly love a Brass Rooster custom hat.

Felt4ever

New in Town
I own the Bailey renegade felt hat which I wore all last winter it is felt, was quite nice, not great for hunting though brims to large and have grown to used to wearing it more formally with my green winter coat.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Your photo needs to be on a picture hosting site.

Blackhil.jpg

Here is one Bailey Renegade model seems to be a class of hats call Renegade for Bailey

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Good evening Gents! Here's another for the woolies. This should be easily recognizable. Dorfman Pacific's "Officially Licensed Indiana Jones Hat". Except that it doesn't look like an authentic Indiana Jones hat....Oh well, it's good enough for a kick around hat...

kjnd.jpg

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
When my dad won't approve of me dropping the hundred or so dollars on a fur felt hat, a wool felt is all I can afford. Oh well. It lets me play with styles and outfits before I get a fur felt and it's a good hat. My hat at the moment is the Jaxon Pinch Crown in grey. I have a Jaxon C-Crown in pecan. However, it needs to be exhanged because it's too small.

So I approve of wool felt hats. They are nice starters for entering the fedora fashion scene of yesteryears and present day.

tealseal

A-List Customer
So I approve of wool felt hats. They are nice starters for entering the fedora fashion scene of yesteryears and present day.

+1 to this. I have fond memories of my Bailey's wool felt hat. It was an inexpensive way to try out hat wearing, and, while doing so, showed me why I needed to save my pennies up for a fur.
Once my woolie shrunk too much for my head, I passed it on to another fellow whom it fit, and now he has a fur. On and on and on!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1 to this. I have fond memories of my Bailey's wool felt hat. It was an inexpensive way to try out hat wearing, and, while doing so, showed me why I needed to save my pennies up for a fur.
Once my woolie shrunk too much for my head, I passed it on to another fellow whom it fit, and now he has a fur. On and on and on!

Yep, Wool hats are like department store gold fish. They look nice at first, you can decide if you like them or not, but then they die (or shrink). Don't get too attached to them...

:D

It is different but I like to have some old ones in my collection. I think it worked better with stiff felts. Also an old Euro wool soft felt like this is totally different than a modern soft felt wool hat. Most on here have never touched one.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My first two hats were/are non-descript woolies in "lite felt", one brown, one grey. They're servicable and gave me a cheap way to figure out what hats I wanted to get. Since then I've acquired a Biltmore, Akubra, couple of Stetsons and am having a Sinatra custom made as we speak. Wore the grey woolie today actually.

Worf

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Cheap DP Indy Wool

I did a pretty decent job the other day reshaping and stretching an old converted Resistol 4X Cowboy hat to something of an Indy fedora. So I thought I'd try my luck with a cheap DP wool Indy hat. I wet it down real good and stretched it over a paint can to try and get some of the taper out of the crown...I then put something a Indy style crease in the crown with a Center Dent and shaped the brim to more of a fedora brim...Not sure how well cheap wools will hold their shape, but, I wanted to practice some....anyway, here's some pics. It's still on my front porch air drying. The crown height at the front is 4 inches to 3 3/4 inches to the back. The open crown on this hat wasn't that tall to begin with. The brim width is 2 3/8 inches....It looks promising so far. I just hope it holds its shape....

DP Indy 01.jpg

DP Indy 04.jpg

DP Indy 03.jpg

DP Indy 06.jpg

DP Indy 02.jpg

DP Indy 07.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points