Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Jazz Singer

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Has anyone seen the new TCM DVD release of the Jazz Singer yet? While I'm not particulary crazy about the movie, the DVD has a lot of interesting extras. I saw a commercial on TCM that said the DVD had 4 hours of early Vitaphone shorts included on it. I'm considering buying the DVD just to see the shorts. Has anyone seen them yet? Are they worth purchasing?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm waiting to buy this until they correct a mistake in the extras -- one of the clips from Gold Diggers Of Broadway was omitted, despite being listed on the menu. This is supposed to be fixed, but it might be after the first of the year before the replacement copies are available.

Many of the shorts were released in a laserdisc box set in the '90s, and this is their first availability on DVD. They are a *priceless* document of late '20s vaudeville acts, and anyone with an interest in entertainment history should not miss this set.

I actually have always rather liked "The Jazz Singer" -- it's utter schmaltz, but it's *sincere* schmaltz. And Jolson is absolutely dynamic whenever he performs -- watch him shake his hips in the Toot Toot Tootsie number, and tell me he didn't have it all over Elvis.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Many of the shorts were released in a laserdisc box set in the '90s, and this is their first availability on DVD. They are a *priceless* document of late '20s vaudeville acts, and anyone with an interest in entertainment history should not miss this set.

I really love this sort of thing, so I think I'll rent the DVD from Netflix for now and purchase it once the error you mentioned is fixed. Thanks for the information! Now if I could just a get a copy of Hollywood Revue of 1929 on DVD....

LizzieMaine said:
I'm waiting to buy this until they correct a mistake in the extras -- one of the clips from Gold Diggers Of Broadway was omitted, despite being listed on the menu. This is supposed to be fixed, but it might be after the first of the year before the replacement copies are available...I actually have always rather liked "The Jazz Singer" -- it's utter schmaltz, but it's *sincere* schmaltz. And Jolson is absolutely dynamic whenever he performs -- watch him shake his hips in the Toot Toot Tootsie number, and tell me he didn't have it all over Elvis.
Early adopter, I! Please tell me more about the omission/replacement?
I have yet to soak in all of the set - there is a lot! Pre-ordered it, and it's here now.

Yes, Tootsie is one hot number!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The set was planned to include the two existing reels of Gold Diggers of Broadway as an extra -- the "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips" production number and the finale. Unfortunately, the Warner vault crew pulled a wrong reel, and instead of "Tulips," the disc includes the Albertina Rasch Ballet scene from "The Rogue Song." It's a good number, in Technicolor, but it's not "Tulips" -- which is a wonderful bit, and something I was looking forward to having. Warners has indicated that those who get the faulty disc can get a replacement, but I've yet to see a specific announcement of where and how. Subsequent pressings of the set will include the correct reel.

Louie

Familiar Face
The Vitaphone films are excellent but it doesn't transfer that well into home viewing. Much better seeing them on the big screen.

Louie

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Has anyone seen the new TCM DVD release of the Jazz Singer yet? While I'm not particulary crazy about the movie, the DVD has a lot of interesting extras.

Well, I haven't seen the new DVD release yet, only the original version and I love it!!! :D it's a classic for anybody who loves films of the 20s and 30, we are talking here about a milestone,while it was not the first sound film, most people associate it with it.
Who can forget Jolson first spoken line in the movie : "You ain't heard nothing yet" - and indeed they had not". Great stuff! :eusa_clap

I think that new DVD is a must, I'd get it asap! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff