Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The jazz thread

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Earlier this evening I noticed some of our Loungites are Jazz players and lovers...In fact things got a little off topic on another thread talking about Jazz....
So here's the thread to do it....Lets talk about, players, gigs, recordings....Your experiances or your likes...

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
This goes out to 'jbucklin' & Josh...or any one else aswell....
Who are your favorites out of the cats playing that Django Style Now...I know there's alot of great players...I know a guy in St Pete Florida named Larry Camp who has his own take on it...I really like what he's doing...and I saw that French Movie 'Swing'...That guy knocked me out...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I tend to lose interest in jazz starting around 1945, but not completely.
I love 20s and 30s jazz, my sweet spot would have to be around 1937 to 1939. But I do like Bird and Miles and Coltrane.
Highlights I guess would be seeing Ellngton, Basie and Benny Goodman all live when I was a kid. Memorable.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I tend to lose interest in jazz starting around 1945, but not completely.
I love 20s and 30s jazz, my sweet spot would have to be around 1937 to 1939. But I do like Bird and Miles and Coltrane.
Highlights I guess would be seeing Ellngton, Basie and Benny Goodman all live when I was a kid. Memorable.
If you dig Bird, Miles and Trane....then you're going to have to extend your sphere of Jazz listening pleasure to include the '50's aswell....:)'45 was just when Bird and Dizzy were taking off....and 'Film Noir' was current films,...and of course every (well-dressed) man wore a fedora...:) Yeah seeing Duke, Basie, and Benny....whew....thats alot of sounds...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I played Trumpet in Marching band, Concert Band, and Pep Band in High School. I was technically good, but not an improvisor. I was fortunate enough to see Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione live. Liked them both pretty well. Our high school band had 110 of 300 kids in the school, now there's 100 kids in the high school and no band at all.

later

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Hi, I played Trumpet in Marching band, Concert Band, and Pep Band in High School. I was technically good, but not an improvisor. I was fortunate enough to see Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione live. Liked them both pretty well. Our high school band had 110 of 300 kids in the school, now there's 100 kids in the high school and no band at all.

later

Man every school should have a band....The future of music in public schools is precarious at best...Thats a shame...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm a musician (reeds) and a collector (vintage instruments & recordings), so I may be a bit prejudiced, but I prefer jazz that makes people dance. I listen to bop and later jazz mostly for the saxophone playing.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I'm a musician (reeds) and a collector (vintage instruments & recordings), so I may be a bit prejudiced, but I prefer jazz that makes people dance. I listen to bop and later jazz mostly for the saxophone playing.
Hey, people dance to Bop...Dizzy danced like crazy to Bop....Had some Michael Jackson looking moves 35 years before MJ...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I wish more people did. There's nothing that beats playing for dancers.

My basic premise is that jazz after WW2 stopped appealing to the heart and started aiming for the head. That's when I start losing interest, altho not completely.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I wish more people did. There's nothing that beats playing for dancers.

My basic premise is that jazz after WW2 stopped appealing to the heart and started aiming for the head. That's when I start losing interest, altho not completely.
I can dig what you're saying...The problem with Bop is that too many cats trying to learn how to do it use technique as an end....where as the real masters of Bop use technique as a tool to make an emotion provoking statement from the heart....but like 'classical' music...the masters are always in the minority...:)
Heres a couple Bop classics for you played in the recent...I've played with both these guys, and they always play 'from the heart'...They are a couple of those "Jazz is Love" guys...I know you'll dig them...:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNnpk50vfhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByJP7IzADk

Last edited:

rgodridge

New in Town
oh, man, where to start?
i'm a 78 collecter, so you can possibly tell where this is going, but i love the 20s jazz, the original memphis ive, bix, red nichols, miff mole, louis armstrong obviously, the duke's cotton club stuff, to be fair i like everything ellington dod or 99 percent of it. I also love swing, especially bunny berigan, count basie etc, more swing jazz than the big bands if that makes sense, the small group recordings benny goodman made are the stuff of beauty.
I like diz and bird and miles and clifford brown etc too, my favourite of the bebop players is probbably jerry mulligan.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
I grew up listening to jazz as my father was a jazz drummer and always had it on (except the ocassional classical). Thanks to him, I have a voracious musical appetite. Music is my disease and jazz features prominently. I dig everything from the 20s to the 70s. Bird, Diz, Basie, Duke, Milt Jackson, Cal Tjader, Wes Montgomery, Modern Jazz Quartet, Dinah Washington, Louis Armstrong, Monk, Mingus, Miles, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Billie Holiday, Bud Powell, Hank Mobley......

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up

i like both takes.
earlier jazz is more sentimental. later jazz is more cerebral, but has an equally strong 'mood' or even (arguably) a more forceful 'tone' given the angsty, searching, introspective side that wasn't heard of in the 30s.

i absolutely love that brushy, muted late 20s Duke Ellington sound, but i also love Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane doing something spikier.
haven't got into any 70s jazz yet though. ;)

gdc

One of the Regulars
I'm a bassist in Kansas City and I agree with Duke Ellington. "There are only two kinds of music; good and bad". I prefer any music with a good melody and am partial to most of the old standards. Many jazz musicians after the mid '60's seemed to view great tunes as nothing more than vehicles for improvisation; as chord changes with little or no regard for melody. As much as I respect their talent and dedication it's hard for me to enjoy on an emotional level the way somebody like Chet Baker or Miles would reach me. That's not to say I don't enjoy today's music because I often do.

I sometimes listen to hours and hours of Coltrane because his emotional intensity was really something. He couldn't get a record made today, unfortunately. To clarify, he was a top artist for Atlantic and THE top artist for Impulse for a bit. It's just that he isn't Justin Bieber.:eeek:

Yes, Bird Lives!

Last edited:

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
My Uncle got me into Jazz when I was just a boy. I think I was maybe 10 years old when he started giving me jazz albums the first I remember was a Jack Teagarden Fats Waller album, after that I was hooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner