Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Kings Speech - a Critique

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Did anyone in the UK watch 'The Real Kings Speech' doc on Channel 4 last night. Quite interesting, especially the insights form Logues' other patients. Fascinating to see that Oswald Mosely's son had a stammer too. A bullying (male) parent seems to be the common denominator there.

What struck me, again, watching this doc was Bertie's amazing courage. There can't have been a worst job to have to do as a chronic stammerer, but he did it. I bet it shortened his life too - he always looked very frail.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I recall reading that HRM Elizabeth placed a great deal of blame for her father's early death on her uncle's abdication, thrusting George into a position he had not been expecting or trained for, and a sudden war he had to instantly rise to deal with.

missjo

Practically Family
Seen the movie and as an Anglophile and a 1930s obsessed nutcase, I must say I loved it.
Only thing that annoyed me was that the ladies were wearing seamless stockings.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I will be seeing this later today and because I don't study this aspect of that era, I would like to ask how 'decently' historically accurate was the film? I read through all the pages here and was looking for peoples thoughts about how historically accurate it was 'within reason' - as I realize with movies it is often hard to be 'exact' with everything.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There was some distortion of the actual chronology for dramatic effect, and one major historical gaffe -- putting Churchill in opposition to Edward VIII during the abdication crisis. And there were some annoying little bits and pieces that I spotted in the radio scenes -- a modern-day "on air" light in a BBC studio in 1925? Spare me. The Empire Service being called that in 1939? Try "General Overseas Service." Stuff like that. But generally I thought it did a good job with capturing the look and feel of the era.

By the way, if you haven't yet seen it theatrically, you better hurry. Weinstein is withdrawing the original R-rated cut from release this week, and rereleasing it in PG-13 form. The major casuality is the breakthru moment in the film, when Bertie lets all his frustration out in a well-choreographed burst of profanity and obscenity. That's going to be trimmed considerably in the revised cut, and I don't think it'll be anywhere near as impressive. I generally have no use for gratuitous F-words in movies, but in this particular case I don't see how they could cut the scene to work without it.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks Lizzie. I appreciated that so now I know what parts are 'off'.

Too bad about the cutting of the movie like that though. While I'm not crazy about the word either, I don't care to see something that is done so well cut for the sake of 'niceties'.

Not like kids don't hear that word outside of movies anyway...

dnjan

One Too Many
I was a bit surprised by the Homburg with a pinched front. Would someone of the royal family actually have worn that?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
There was some distortion of the actual chronology for dramatic effect, and one major historical gaffe -- putting Churchill in opposition to Edward VIII during the abdication crisis. And there were some annoying little bits and pieces that I spotted in the radio scenes -- a modern-day "on air" light in a BBC studio in 1925? Spare me. The Empire Service being called that in 1939? Try "General Overseas Service." Stuff like that. But generally I thought it did a good job with capturing the look and feel of the era.

By the way, if you haven't yet seen it theatrically, you better hurry. Weinstein is withdrawing the original R-rated cut from release this week, and rereleasing it in PG-13 form. The major casuality is the breakthru moment in the film, when Bertie lets all his frustration out in a well-choreographed burst of profanity and obscenity. That's going to be trimmed considerably in the revised cut, and I don't think it'll be anywhere near as impressive. I generally have no use for gratuitous F-words in movies, but in this particular case I don't see how they could cut the scene to work without it.

Will both be released on DVD, or is the PG-13 cut the new version?

By the way, I agree with you about the language, Lizzie. The overuse of swear words in films is one of the flaws with filmmaking today... Moviemakers seem to feel as if copious amounts of profanity is necessary to make a good movie, and include it for no real reason. But when it's handled with class and discretion, it can be used to good effect. Any modern day 'teen comedy' vs. Gran Torino, for instance.

Cheers,

Edward

Bartender
There's no doubt that is was a well made, entertaining movie, but have no doubt - this thing was engineered to win oscars. The only thing oscar voters love more than british period pieces are tales of people with physical/mental handicaps that they triumphantly overcome in the third act. If this doesn't win best picture I'll eat my hat.

With a warning for those of delicate sensibilities - from 3.00mins in, for about a minute...

[video=youtube;aR2mBxumNe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2mBxumNe4[/video]

Which is what was referenced, here, at the Golden Globes(? I think - I have no interest in any of these awards ceremonies):

[video=youtube;iAweiV944qI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAweiV944qI&feature=related[/video]

I recall reading that HRM Elizabeth placed a great deal of blame for her father's early death on her uncle's abdication, thrusting George into a position he had not been expecting or trained for, and a sudden war he had to instantly rise to deal with.

The Queen Mother, as was, bitterly hated Edward VIII to her death, as she blamed him for the premature death of her physically weaker husband.

Thanks Lizzie. I appreciated that so now I know what parts are 'off'.

Too bad about the cutting of the movie like that though. While I'm not crazy about the word either, I don't care to see something that is done so well cut for the sake of 'niceties'.

Not like kids don't hear that word outside of movies anyway...

I learned all my very best swears from children under the age of ten.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Although I consider The King's Speech to be a wonderful film. The one thing that nagged me constantly throughout, was the fact that Colin Firth sounds NOTHING like George VI. And when the entire film is about speaking and talking, to me, that's rather important.

For those who have seen the film and remember the speech, compare that with the video below. This is the ACTUAL SPEECH recorded and broadcast on the 3rd September, 1939:

[video=youtube;DAhFW_auT20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhFW_auT20[/video]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I finally caught this the other night in an empty theatre. A magnificent film, and one that has had me thinking and reading ever since. I loved the sets - the wallpapers in Logue's office and home were almost upstaging the action, they were so interesting. The whole film is quite wonderfully painted - a sort of Merchant Ivory feel, steeped in tea, with more creative license.
Firth is just an astonishing performer. My throat tightened for him. And Bonham-Carter; great to see her in something besides her husband's kink and back in those perfectly rounded vowels that so suit her. Rush's was a performance, as usual for him, that will have me buying the DVD to study. This actor is brilliant with body language (credited to his French theatrical training), and he has lessons for all of us who try to bring others to life.
LOVED this film. The negatives I read here aren't selling, aside from Tomasso's notes about fit and finish in wardrobe. Then again, David was one of the the dandies of the twentieth century, so his clothes would have been flawless. But surely... the King, or even Duke, would also have perfect tailoring? If Saville Row can deal with the current POWs' shoulders, they could have fit George VI flawlessly.

A great movie. Can't wait to own it (the R version!).

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I saw it on the weekend & loved it. Problem is I really want to swear like a Monarch now :) The other thing is that I *love* the wallpaper in Lionel Louge's sitting room (his house, not his consulting rooms). I wonder where I can buy some? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I finally caught this the other night in an empty theatre. A magnificent film, and one that has had me thinking and reading ever since. I loved the sets - the wallpapers in Logue's office and home were almost upstaging the action, they were so interesting. The whole film is quite wonderfully painted - a sort of Merchant Ivory feel, steeped in tea, with more creative license.
Firth is just an astonishing performer. My throat tightened for him. And Bonham-Carter; great to see her in something besides her husband's kink and back in those perfectly rounded vowels that so suit her. Rush's was a performance, as usual for him, that will have me buying the DVD to study. This actor is brilliant with body language (credited to his French theatrical training), and he has lessons for all of us who try to bring others to life.
LOVED this film. The negatives I read here aren't selling, aside from Tomasso's notes about fit and finish in wardrobe. Then again, David was one of the the dandies of the twentieth century, so his clothes would have been flawless. But surely... the King, or even Duke, would also have perfect tailoring? If Saville Row can deal with the current POWs' shoulders, they could have fit George VI flawlessly.

A great movie. Can't wait to own it (the R version!).

Rush seems to move very well - this explains it.

Jennifer Ehle (Myrtle) was very enjoyable, if only briefly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana