Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Kings Speech - a Critique

LordBest

Practically Family
LizzieMaine,

I could not agree more ... and great comments on the lounge lizard. Heavens, I laughed my behind off on that one. I really thought Judi Dench would have been a much better cast for Queen Elizabeth as the name still rings authentic from MRS BROWN.

As brilliant as Dame Judi Dench is, i'm not sure she could play the part of a Queen Elizabeth in her thirties convincingly.

I thought the film uniformly superb, nice to Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth together again, albeit in a rather small way.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Guy Pearce was .... er ... credible, I would say. I dont know the intricate history of the Prince of Wales but assume that Pearce's impression was close. I wish that the movie had provided more of a background to the trashy party at Balmoral to better understand POW's character and reasons for abdicating; it was a seminal part of the movie.

When he does the abdication speech, he says he can no longer continue "without the help and support of the woman I love." That seemed pretty clear to me.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I saw this movie the week after Christmas. I think it was the best movie of 2010. It was a grand period piece, and Colin Firth's performance was spot on. You really felt for him as he struggled to speak. The director and actors were able to take a topic which seems quite unimportant to most and turn it into something about which the audience really cared. No, it's not The Queen. It wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be a more intimate tale of how a man, who never thought he'd have to fill the roll of king, deals with a problem in an important time in British history. Alexandre Desplat's musical score, as always, is beautiful. He also wrote the music for The Queen, The Ghost Writer, Julie and Julia, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, etc., etc...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just seen it this past weekend. LOVED IT!! A 'VERY BRITISH' film which may not appeal to everyone out there (or even in here), but I for one thoroughly enjoyed it and the relationship between Bertie and his Therapist. "Just Splendid!"

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I just saw it today. Instantly one of my favorites! It's amazing how they were able to take a subject trivial to most, and create such a compelling and emotionally profound work out of it. The acting was amazing, and the story line much more gripping than I could have imagined going in. A very well done historical drama (with some very funny lines added in, too). I'm happy to see films that are good, without the filmmakers feeling the need to add any inappropriate elements in. And the language that does make the film rated R, is still handled respectfully in terms to the story line (it has a purpose, beyond just the manifestation of a director's desire of a 'shock' factor). Incredibly well done; I couldn't help but thinking how amazing the story was presented while watching. This one's gonna sweep the awards later this year, no doubt.

I found the score to be excellent as a supplement to the storytelling, adding another layer of depth and intrigue to the film. Well played, if not entirely memorable (I am having trouble recalling any significant melodies after just hours after I watched the film. But during the film, I noted it was very fitting to the story).

Can't say how highly I recommend this one!

Cheers,

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've got it for a three week run, starting tonight -- first show started at 5:30, and we've got over 150 people (including a world-famous author/historian) in the audience. You don't get audiences like that around here on a Friday unless the picture is something really special.

Firth's performance is absolutely perfect. We're playing the actual King's actual Speech over the sound system before the show, and hearing the reality followed by the portrayal shows just how flawless a job he does. It's not just an impersonation, though -- he really brings the character to life.

When this picture comes to your town, see it. Don't wait for the DVD.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh and Lizzie - something they used to do in British Cinemas, was play the British National Anthem at the END of the showing, where everyone would stand to attention. That would be a nice touch!! then tea and buns afterwards in the foyer :)

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
I found the score to be excellent as a supplement to the storytelling, adding another layer of depth and intrigue to the film. Well played, if not entirely memorable (I am having trouble recalling any significant melodies after just hours after I watched the film. But during the film, I noted it was very fitting to the story).

What I found most interesting about the music in the film is that, besides a few pieces that were played diagetically, all of the cues were Desplat compositions. That is, until the final speech, where a Beethoven piece was played.

I found it strange to introduce non-original music at the dramatic crux of the film, as those Desplat were unable to properly score the scene. What makes it stranger is that another Beethoven piece is played directly following the speech, when George VI walks onto the balcony to face his subjects.

(For those interested, the two pieces in question are the Allegretto from the seventh symphony and the Adagio from the fifth piano concerto.)

Apart from that, I felt the acting was rather good, but I didn't find the movie to be particularly interesting.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My mother and I went to see the film yesterday evening. I give it 3.5-4 stars of five. My main gripe was that Firth looked and sounded nothing like George VI and I think that when you're portraying a historical character within living and recorded memory, you should at least try and get it right. I also didn't like the fellow who played Churchill. Voice - Perfect. Appearance - Not so much.

I liked Rush as Logue, I thought he was very good. As was Helen Bonham Carter. I think the fellow who played George V was good as well. Especially the bit about the Christmas broadcast.

I also liked the concentration on the 1936 Abdication Crisis. I think it showed just what a big thing this was back in those days. There's a scene where David and Bertie are in the wine-cellar and they're arguing with each other about Wallis Simpson. I liked that very much. And in the end, David bullies B-b-b-bertie!

The bits between Logue and the King/Duke of York were funny and interesting to watch. The "exercises" were also quite humorous. Especially the rather exceptional swearing one!

"Do you know the 'F'-word?"
"Fffff...fornication?"

DCMark

New in Town
I can't really comment on the technical, musical, wardrobe, etc. aspects, but all I can say is that this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I am recommending it to all my friends.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have finally seen this, and what a great film. Just a lovely, lovely, well made, well acted, moving film. Colin Firth was excellent, as was the rest of the cast, and can I say that Helena Bonham Carter was perfect as Elizabeth. It will be interesting to see what happens come Oscar time.

What also interested me was that thought of what might have happened if Edward had given up Mrs Simpson and we had gone to war with him as King. Would it have made a difference? I do wonder.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I read the Australian review ... but like its British counterpart, nothing but positive reviews.
I've noticed that one needs to search long and hard to find negative reviews of The King's Speech and when you find them they don't make much sense.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My Only Nit To Pick

One thing that distracted me throughout the film was the fit of a few of Firth's jackets, where there was serious gaping (space between shirt and jacket) at the collar. This is a glaring indication of a poorly fitted jacket and not something you would expect from the King's Savile Row tailors.

the-kings-speech-300x450.jpg

Kings_speech_t614.jpg

Colin-Firth-in-The-Kings-Speech.jpg

Looks like it runs in the family as his daddy has a serious case as well.

8m5aiv9i.png

But brother David seems to have dodged the family affliction...

kings-speech-guy+pierce.jpg

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The ill-fitting clothes are probably just an example of "wardrobe as character development", which is usually not a good thing.

But is that thing in front of "David" a microphone or a nuclear warhead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner