Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Kings Speech - a Critique

James71

A-List Customer
Sorry people. I rather liked it. I enjoyed the time spent watching it and found it entertaining.

Sometimes I just want to be told a story and dont need every movie made to be the best movie ever made.

Sometimes a good story, nicely told, well shot and well acted is a worthwhile enjoyment.

Sometimes I think people just want too much.... and live a life of disappointments because of that.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to watching this film last night. I for one found it quite moving. The performances were well done, the score hit it's mark and the costuming I really enjoyed. Sould love to have many of the suits.
What I found moving was their friendship. Strangers thrust together for a lifetime. If only we could all have a friend like Lionel Logue. Someone to help and that gets it. I think that they developed it rather well for this film and that the whole Wallace Simpson thing was handled quite well. They weren't the focus after all, and David taunting Bertie sent the point home that the playboy wasn't suited for the role of King.
For me it was a good story about friendship.

Cheers!

Dan

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe my wife and I haven't seen this yet! We are massive Colin Firth fans, I'm a monarchist and Anglophile, and of course love period dramas. We'd hoped to see it in the theatres, but childcare never panned out. Several times came close to renting, but for some reason didn't. Dammit, I'll get the DVD. I see there are differing versions, one "clean" one uncut. Must be on the watch for that (as I don't like others editing things on my behalf!).

Regarding some of the comments above. With respect to Colin Firth not sounding like G6, so what? Frank Gorshin was a great impressionist, but I wouldn't want him playing the part. Physical resemblance (including voice) gets you so far. Acting takes you all the way! Artistic license concerning timelines, personalities included/excluded, never bother me as much as historic revisionism. Movies aren't documentaries, nor should they be. See the criticism in another thread about the Johnny Deppe film Public Enemies.

And no one having enjoyed the film needs to apologise to anyone on this forum for having done so!

Last edited:

AEF17

New in Town
I could not care less.....In the final analysis it was a downright excellent flick!
Watching it again a decade later, it's decidly mediocre and embarrassing.[SNIP]

Bartender Edit: While TFL remains a broad church of opinion on the movie business, there is no need to resort to personal abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The King George stutter issue was as well played as reasonable expectation saw fit,
and, like Churchill a decent effort all round. The Tube scene make of it what you will but all in all not bad.
And I rather enjoyed Darkest, like Cumberbatch's Turing in Imitation Game, period set and match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112