Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lee Lounge

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Lee_H20_block_10-1.jpg

My new LEE
WaterBloc Ten

Lee_liner.jpg

Lee_H20bloc_10.jpg
THAT. IS. GORGEOUS!

My new ebay stray. This 1950s Smartlee grey back bow adds to my collection of this revival style of ribbon treatments. I know it does not have the wow factor of a 2 5/8" brim, high crown, $200 collectable that usually adorns these forums, but I'm posting it anyway. I have grown to appreciate these 1950s flavor 2" brim hats. They are the same vintage as myself. This grey Smartlee has a price tag under the sweat, which I will get some photos of soon, has a price of $10.95 and a retailer date (price code?) of "58". It feels like it is as old as me...

The crown, pre-blocked, from the Lee factory is a little rumpled, needs steam. It also has the protective film under the sweat (can't remember what we call that) which is intact. My other back bow Lee had only the little brown flakes of this material left in the hat.
29874442464_a038925434_z.jpg

30418313311_e54cbcfc90_z.jpg

The sweat and liner are in really pristine shape, kind of a dark grey sweat and a pinky/peachy colored liner. The "Smartlee" name, which I found reference to in an ad from the 1952 period, is proudly stamped in the front. A union tag and simple reorder tag is all that is under the sweat (pics to follow).
29874454574_f37aab8b90_z.jpg

29874445714_a1f61b1395_z.jpg

It does not have the "color coded label" markings, is there a dating clue here?
29874449394_f0557027f5_z.jpg

I needed to start building up my Non-Brown holdings, and this hat should see some serious noggin hours.

My new ebay stray. This 1950s Smartlee grey back bow adds to my collection of this revival style of ribbon treatments. I know it does not have the wow factor of a 2 5/8" brim, high crown, $200 collectable that usually adorns these forums, but I'm posting it anyway. I have grown to appreciate these 1950s flavor 2" brim hats. They are the same vintage as myself. This grey Smartlee has a price tag under the sweat, which I will get some photos of soon, has a price of $10.95 and a retailer date (price code?) of "58". It feels like it is as old as me...

The crown, pre-blocked, from the Lee factory is a little rumpled, needs steam. It also has the protective film under the sweat (can't remember what we call that) which is intact. My other back bow Lee had only the little brown flakes of this material left in the hat.
29874442464_a038925434_z.jpg

30418313311_e54cbcfc90_z.jpg

The sweat and liner are in really pristine shape, kind of a dark grey sweat and a pinky/peachy colored liner. The "Smartlee" name, which I found reference to in an ad from the 1952 period, is proudly stamped in the front. A union tag and simple reorder tag is all that is under the sweat (pics to follow).
29874454574_f37aab8b90_z.jpg

29874445714_a1f61b1395_z.jpg

It does not have the "color coded label" markings, is there a dating clue here?
29874449394_f0557027f5_z.jpg

I needed to start building up my Non-Brown holdings, and this hat should see some serious noggin hours.
This is REAL similar to my Lee pork pie....same green seal on the liner....I have the brown sweatband however and no model name....I posted mine under new hats.
M

This is REAL similar to my Lee pork pie....same green seal on the liner....I have the brown sweatband however and no model name....I posted mine under new hats.
M
I like my two Lee 50s style hats. The whole "formed at the factory" is an interesting feature of this era. I had Mike at NW Hats massage the teardrop on this one so it now pristine. It has tags that date it to 1958 (based on a store price tag and the union label). The sweat is about a shade or two lighter than the picture.

Has anybody heard of the "Three-D" model? It's a Blue Label. Seller claimed it is from the 50s but I have no idea. I just picked it up recently. I couldn't find another on the forum.

I wouldn't dispute the 50s claim. Any other clues, such as a re-order tag?

Nice hat, though! BLue Label was, I believe, their mid-price range.

Has anybody heard of the "Three-D" model? It's a Blue Label. Seller claimed it is from the 50s but I have no idea. I just picked it up recently. I couldn't find another on the forum.

View attachment 72346

View attachment 72347

View attachment 72348

View attachment 72349
I agree about it being 50s. This is a great find, looks to be in excellent shape. The later Lee hats came "Shaped from the factory" in a 1953 ad I found, this one does not appear to be overly "pre" shaped. Does this move the date earlier? I wonder. What does the crown look like?

1953 Lee Hat advertisement 600x.jpg

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree about it being 50s. This is a great find, looks to be in excellent shape. The later Lee hats came "Shaped from the factory" in a 1953 ad I found, this one does not appear to be overly "pre" shaped. Does this move the date earlier? I wonder. What does the crown look like?

View attachment 72379

I will have to shape the crown myself. It is shaped but does not appear to be "locked in". I can change the shape easily and it stays in place. And thats without steam. So I'm thinking once I steam clean and shape the crown it will hold. Here it is as received.

IMG_0820.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner