Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lee Lounge

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maybe the decline of hat wearing also has to do with the decline of sex in hat advertising. There's quite a bit of it into the early 50s, but it drops off after that. It's pretty incredible how much innuendo is in this box lid alone. It matches the 1937 ad I posted on the previous page.
BYG6IcN4UKE.gif

leebox2.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Lee Black Label

Acquired from the original owner's son, and in excellent condition. Forehead portion of the sweatband originally had the model name embossed in gold lettering, as is typical for Lee, but unfortunately it is no longer legible.

Crown: 4-3/4" as I have it currently creased.
Ribbon: 1-3/8".
Brim: 2-3/4", with a 1/4" overwelt.
Sweatband: 1-7/8".

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Lee 'Kingway' Blue Label Homburg

Excellent quality felt and finishing, which compares favorably to the Dobbs/Knox Twenties.

Crown: 5".
Ribbon: 2".
Brim: 2-1/2".
Sweatband: 1-3/4".

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Finally caught a break and found this floating in the bay for a song!!!! I am a little disappointed cause it's a homburg but it is a really good one! The box is pretty rough but the hat looks like it has never been worn!! There is not a lot of info on Lee hats as to how to date it but by the look of the box and the price of 12.50 makes me think 40's ... what do you folks think?? Also what is the difference between the different color labels "Black Label" "White Label" "Blue Label" ect????

Will have to stretch it (carefully) a little as it is not true to size anymore but hey I'm not complaining!!! The felt is really nice!!! Like clay almost ... The crown any way ... The brim is a little stiff as most homburgs are.

97f67a95.jpg

dfa15e71.jpg

7c600899.jpg

36dc8cef.jpg

d8d008a1.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Opened the box to my new Lee hat! Yahoo!

I just opened the box to my first Lee Hat. I am at the gym and excitedly opened the box. No carefull opening for this excited short balding guy. My heart jumped when I first saw the hat - truly looking fine sitting waiting for a new owner-me.

The Lee Cameo, Buckskin is truly a fine hat! The "buckskin" hat is darker in color than the buckskin jacket that I had as a mere child. It is a darker tan color. A tad bit of warmth to the color.

Photo%20on%202011-05-20%20at%2014.44.jpg

The pic does not show accurately the "dark-greenish" ribbon that stands in contrast to the darker buckskin color. The binding edge matches the ribbon to a "T." I had the hat outside in the natural light, the few minutes that the sun has showed here today, and the ribbon and binding color is classy. It adds color in the same hue. Man I imagine that that the colors will be able to be worn with much of my daily wardrobe.

The liner top has a bit of aged patina, but the satin is spotless. The color is an egg shell white (the color reminds me of the color we painted on my folk's great room walls). The leather band is immaculate. Jeepers, it is fine.

The hat needs a brush and a steam, but I will be wearing it this weekend, given sunlight comes to Minnesota, USA.

Thanks for taking a look at my "best" Lee, Eric -

This one is a

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
OK, deepr in the box another suprise...SWEET!

Let me introduce you to my Lee All American.

Photo%20on%202011-05-20%20at%2014.45.jpg

It is a Lee All-American in cream. The hat shape is ala 50's Stetson Stratoliner in sweep and general dimensions. The brim is a bit larger all around, but matches the bit larger crown material. Very nice lines and symmetry in this model. The hat felting is very similar to the Cameo. It has taken a new bash immediately and is substantial enough to hold the bash. The hat has a bit of a nap, not totally smooth. The visual dimmension coaxes the eye to linger and look. Nice features and eye appeal. (One can only hope it makes me appear to be better looking than I actually am!)

The ribbon and binding edge nearly matches the hat body color. All together very pleasing. It gives the hat a dressier-casual look.

The exterior quality and cleanliness is matched by the new hats I have purchased. Totally sweet and new like. The liner is a cream and shows a bit of patina. The leather band is as best as I can tell, new. Uncreased and I can not tell it has ever been sweated in. The band is narrower than the Cameo. ?? Not sure why as they appear to be the same quality hat body and liner. Puzzling. The width will not make any difference for me, as I intend to use the hat as daily wear, rotation allowing.

This might be one of my fav's at the moment. New addition truly, but it also has ribbon and brim dimmesions that my eye likes. I have yet to wear it outside. What my eye likes and what looks good do differ in my experience. We shall see.

Thanks for taking a moment to share with me, my new All-American.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
All these Lees, and not a single straw? Allow me to add my boater - all the way from Waltham, Mass. to Bay City, Mich.

e4834e07.jpg

It was being marketed as 1920s vintage, but I really have no idea. All I know is that it's really nice and was cheaper than a new one. It's the first vintage hat I've had since I grew out of the cheap sizes.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner