Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lee Lounge

Landman

One Too Many
Here are 3 shots of my newly acquired fedora (from Bond). I'm very happy with this fine hat, as I mentioned in the My Blue Heaven thread. Pardon my fixation, but Damn! I love this lid.

dscf2657z.jpg

Wow Randall, that hat is beautiful!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is the Edgelee I just picked up. Unfortunately, it's missing its edge. Really a bummer since this hat has some incredible felt. Its a silver quality level. Cleaned and steamed up nicely. The felt has that beaver rebound feel to it and is very dense. It reminds me of a couple of other hats, so I'm going to do a comparo and put it in the side by side thread.

B

lee_edgelee_1.jpg

lee_edgelee_2.jpg

lee_edgelee_3.jpg

lee_edgelee_4.jpg

lee_edgelee_5.jpg

lee_edgelee_6.jpg

lee_edgelee_7.jpg

Shame that it has been trimmed. I find that Lee hats often arrive to be nicer than I expected, which is a very nice quality to have.

Looking forward to your comparison.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I need to hit the antique stores. You guys find some amazing things, and I'll bet I can find some great old Stetsons given the area.

Aaron

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lee The Eagle Satin Finish Navy Blue

P1050690.JPG
P1050689.JPG
P1050688.JPG

Lightweight satin finish with 2-3/16" bound brim.

Striking similarity to the Stetson Eagle Logo (and hat).
%2524%2528KGrHqZ%252C%2521qYF%2521-CGlZwYBQe9PuodSQ%257E%257E60_58.JPG

Perhaps because...
New York Times - Jul 16, 1960
The John B. Stetson Company, Philadelphia, announced yesterday that it had purchased all the outstanding stock of the Frank H. Lee Company of Danbury, ...

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
New to me Lee Adventure courtesy of Ebay via a fellow Lounger, thanks Tahj. Officially stingy with 1 3/4 brim but I'm down with that as an outspoken advocate of the stubbies. Weight on my digital scale is 2.52 oz. It's a smidge too small but so nice I have to keep it.

Color is the mysterious Taupe

Apparently the original owner got a great deal on it. Also note the sewn on topper label

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Charlie, patience does pay off. Hard not to be satisfied with a Lee in good condition. Great color combo.

Mr Astor, I was surprised how stingy the brim was especially since it was listed at 2". My preferred brim is 2 3/8". Since my post I've had the Adventure re-blocked and wear it frequently and happily. For such a stingy it has nice proportions.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Lee Cameo

A couple years ago, I had a Lee Corral that I really loved. A Black Label, it was a great hat with great proportions, and there were only two things about it that I wasn't thrilled with. The first was that it had a thin ribbon, which was not a deal-breaker. The second was the interminable cigarette smell that emanated from the hat. No matter what I did, I couldn't get that smell out, so I sold the hat. Today, I have an excellent method for smoke removal, but them's the breaks--the hat was gone.

That's why I was so excited to see a Lee Black Label in about the same sandy-brown come up on OFAS--and this time, it was a mid-ribbon! The seller had taken three pictures (one decent, the other two blurry) and offered only a 10 word description of the hat. It looked good, but there was no size indicated. I sent her a message; she replied that it was a size 8--and then altered the listing to say it was a 6 7/8. I asked if she could measure the hat front to back and side to side inside the sweat; she did, and the hat came out at 8 by 6.5, a solid 7 1/4. At this point, I knew bidding on the hat was a gamble, but I took the chance and won the hat for a song. So far so good, right? The next thing I know, she tells me it's shipped in a medium flat-rate priority box, which means that either the hat really is a tiny thing, or that it's going to be brutalized when it gets here.

It arrived this evening--in a large flat-rate box, which is only marginally better. I tore the box open to find a gorgeous Lee Cameo inside: it isn't exactly mint as claimed, but it's fantastic. I didn't even try to measure it or check for tags. I just popped it on my head, and miracle of miracles, it fits. Turns out the hat is marked as a 7 1/8, but some pumpkin-headed fool before me musta been wearing it, because it measures out to just shy of the seller's measurements: she measured with the sweat, not inside it. At any event, it fits reasonably well, and with a little hatjack stretch, the hat should be perfect.

Pardon the environs for the pics; our workroom has the best light for pictures in the evening.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Bound brim and a double-stitched edge. Subtle but nice.
image.jpg

I love the pleats on the liner. That's an oilskin tip cover, not plastic.
image.jpg

The size tags; based on how rough the inside tag is, I can see why the seller thought it said 8:
image.jpg

The under-liner label is pretty clear, though.
image.jpg

Somehow the back bow ended up under the sweat and the sweat guard on the right side of the hat.
image.jpg

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner