Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lee Lounge

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lee ad 1915

attachment.php

Attachments

• lee_hats_1915.JPG
    lee_hats_1915.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 432

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Mike! I have a newfound appreciation for Lee hats. I can't believe the quality of the felt and how easily it takes a dry crease.

What is interesting is some (maybe all) 50s Lee's were not blocked open crown. For example here is a new old stock Lee Trinity of mine (sold it a long while ago). This hat would not easily take a dry crease but still high quality felt.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?18237-The-Lee-Lounge&p=889367&viewfull=1#post889367

I still have a new old stock Lee Trinity that I will post photos of tomorrow. It's mentioned way back in this thread but the photos are now missing. It is also not blocked open crown and would take some work to set it up differently.

g.durand

One Too Many
Rick--nice find. I agree, Lee made some nice hats and early-50s and earlier rival most other brands of the era. Steve is correct, '50s Lees seem to have been factory blocked. I have a Trinity that may even be a late '40s hat and it was blocked. There is always the possibility it was later blocked during a refurb. I have two others, an Edgelee and a Harmony, both Silver Label quality, and they appear to have been sold open crown. They appear to be late '40s or early '50s hats, but dating info on Lee hats seems to be scarce. But one thing is certain, they all have top-quality felt and workmanship.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rick; Truly a great model of a vtg. Lee hat. Check out this thread as it showcases some great Lee hats. The model line in the 40-50's was incredibly diverse.

Mayserwegener is spot on in his post that few Lee's were open crown. I see in almost all 50's advertisements that the Lee (and even Adam fedoras of equal age) proudly stated they were pre-creased. Fad, a way to segment the market or identify a niche - I have no idea. A couple of my Lee's that I have cleaned (steam, brush, white gas bath, steam and brush then crease) never lost their crease. No way -no how.

On the other hand - marvelous felt and ribbon work. For the price in the day, I think they were a great buy for the consumer. As a vtg - excellent wearing hat.

Thanks for sharing. Best of wishes in your wearing of this fedora and the hunt of other Lees, Eric -

The Lee Trinity that I posted above was new old stock from the JohnnyPhi Hirsch's find (also the one I will post tomorrow). From what I can remember the Lee's from that find were not open crown (probably mid 1950s). Also most German and Austrian hat's from the mid to later 1950s on were factory creased but this did not impact quality (see other factors like elsewhere). In both cases it was a change based on customer demand (a hat that will keep it's form which actually goes back to early 1900s) .

Last edited:
Lee Blue Label "Trinity", size 7 3/8, probably mid 1950s. This hat is new old stock (never worn) when I acquired it (only worn a few times). As you can see it was factory machine blocked in this form and it would not take dry hand creasing (not that I would want to change it).

15712140254_9b54a7d11c_b.jpg

15712141714_45a3dc1d33_b.jpg

16308620886_3fbcd5428d_b.jpg

15712137364_7aa787c7ae_b.jpg

16334615485_4db7b39408_b.jpg

16147035738_5f6516088d_b.jpg

16148744477_19bc972af0_b.jpg

16148456039_d991264364_b.jpg

Thanks! Does it mention "Treated by DuPont "ARIDEX" Water Repellent Shape Retaining on the sweatband? They look to be from the same time period.

It was just a change in direction. Open crown hats were becoming less popular. Men wanted hats that held their shape.

"Treated by DuPont "ARIDEX" Water Repellent Shape Retaining"

Last edited:
Wow a super fine Steve. A change from your German hats. Is that from Johnny Phi?

Yes this is from a while ago (the photos were missing from the original post in this thread). I am totally focused on German and Austrian vintage makers now but I have kept some American hats that were sold out of MD and DC stores.

g.durand

One Too Many
I just found a Lee Trinity Blue Label with labeling and other details very similar to yours, Steve. In the photos I saw it doesn't look like it has the plastic crown tip protector. It has the same $10 price tag, but no OPS label. It doesn't appear to be factory blocked. I'll post photos when I receive it.

Lee Blue Label "Trinity", size 7 3/8, probably mid 1950s. This hat is new old stock (never worn) when I acquired it (only worn a few times). As you can see it was factory machine blocked in this form and it would not take dry hand creasing (not that I would want to change it).

Beautiful, Steve. Great color. And it's my size! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner