Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Linen Suit with the Bullet Hole...?

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Well he is selling body armor as well in another one of his listings.
You could buy both just in case bullets are attracted to this suit. ;)

I am so glad to see he is still offering it to ebay people instead of making big money going to asia or a museum. lol

Boodles

A-List Customer
I finally took a look...that is a bullet hole?

A bullet hole the size of a nickle? From what, an ack ack gun? It looks more like a rat hole. Good grief.

theEpiphany

New in Town
I didn't buy it, but I know who did...and I'm shaking my head at it all the way. I apologize for making this one of my premiere posts, I know several of you from being from Southern California, but like Marc and a few others...the Fascination of this suit beats the heck out of me.

First off...Just by looking at the hole...it's really difficult to tell. It does look like it could be a bullet hole, but it could also be a rathole, a pull/snag or anything else.

There's also too many variables to tell what could possibly have made it...Lead Hardness, Full Metal Jacket/half Jacketed, Calibre, Distance of fire.

Supposedly the suit was cleaned so who the heck knows. HOWEVER, If this is a bullethole, there's no powder, burning, abrasion rings, stippling etc. Generally those are charactistics of a close range shot all of which MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have gone through. However, given the absence of those and the size of the actual hole (not the fraying around it), This has the possible characteristics of a Distant shot from a pretty small calibre round.

Now that I'm done playing Devil's Advocate....I don't buy this to be as a bullethole. I personally think this is a con or at least an embellishment on MANY levels.

For a Bullet hole, it is EXTRAORDINARILY clean, in dirt and having 80 years of aging from a fabric defect FLESH Injury. Which makes no sense if there are small traces of "blood" on the lapel they weren't able to clean yet they were able to clean the entrance wound area (which would have had the largest area of blood saturation to the point of having the fabric as white as it was when new. That just doesn't add up.

But, just going by the description. I'm willing to put money on the fact that it's a total scam/sham. Nobody in their right mind would be doing "us a favor" by placing a historical item like this on ebay when they could have made LOTS of money...Thank god they have anonymity on ebay because that line alone makes then sound like a dope.

Unfortunately when dealing with the bullet hole, you could actually come up with as many theories as the JFK assassination. There's just too many variables to deal with as to what would have caused it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I would say:

Suit with bullet hole on ebay $150
Repair of said bulllet hole by competant reweaver $60
Cleaning by good cleaner $10

Picking up a good vintage linen or palm beach suit on ebay for $220...

well, a decent deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot