Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The little details can make or break a suit

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Saturday I wore my plaid "Style Mart" suit to a wedding (photos soon).

While dressing I noticed a neat little detail I hadn't seen before even though I've worn the suit in the past: the belt loops.

beltloop001.jpg

While it looks like a normal belt loop from the outside, there is actually a smaller loop beneath. This small loop is for narrow belts like the one I'm wearing in the photo.

beltloop002.jpg

All of the belt loops on this suit have an extra one underneath.

A neat little detail that you rarely ever see today.

What other little details (or lack thereof) have you seen that either make or break a suit?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here are a few neat details though I doubt they rise to make or break level.

The boutonniere stem keeper loop on the backside of the lapel:

9459xsm4.jpg

The bellows pocket (by Oxxford) which expands inside the jacket thus eliminating the chance of items stored in the pocket adversely affecting the lines of the jacket:

3493747249_9668fc040f.jpg

A secret pocket (also by Oxxford) built into the waistband of the trousers:

IMG_0653.JPG

Mr Vim

One Too Many
All the little extras aside, I honestly believe that the quality of fabric then versus today should also be praised again and again.

This is exactly why I got into wearing these sort of clothes. Modern suits just don't have these bonuses. People at work and about always ask, why don't you just get modern suits?

Answer: For the price, you almost certainly cannot get a modern suit with the quality of material, the sturdiness of the fabric, I could go on, but you guys know it all as well.

Having said that, I have yet to discover any surprises in my suits yet, but I will keep looking.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Tomasso said:
The bellows pocket (by Oxxford) which expands inside the jacket thus eliminating the chance of items stored in the pocket adversely affecting the lines of the jacket:

3493747249_9668fc040f.jpg

I've seen that on several '30s suits and overcoats. It's really a great feature.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr Vim said:
Okay, so I'm guessing the smaller pocket is for a pen?

Although I'm a rube in these matters, it certainly appears so. I've always appreciated the finer details of a suit or accessory that makes wearing the article a pleasure. If I find anything out of ordinary, I'll be sure to post pictures as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24