Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The loss of occasion

John J

Familiar Face
no one dresses up women still do often

Ive noticed the dressing down of many events.

I grew up in the funeral business, back when I was a child and teen people attending wakes and the funeral itself were always dressed up. Id see children in suits or jacket and tie, girls always in dresses.

Now people show up in work clothes, jeans, baseball hats , motorcycle jackets ETC even for the funerals.

Weddings usually there is a dress code for the type of wedding and most follow the protocol, with some slackers.

Dress up charity events Ive been to unless a dress code is established most of the women dress at a very nice level , most of the guys dress as Un -dressed as their date will allow many not even wearing jackets.

Opening Day at the Saratoga race track which is a customary day to DO IT RIGHT and fancy sort of thing. I see lots of women dressed to the nines per say , fancy Hats , Dresses, heels, ETC only to be accompanied by boyfriend or husband who is wearing jeans boat shoes or sneakers and a UN-tucked shirt often with a baseball cap.

Holidays No fan fare at all any more , at least in my circles.

as stated above I do go to quite a few fundraisers and the dress code is often published and most follow.

"John"

Last edited:

CataWhatas

New in Town
From my religious standpoint and family traditions -

Weddings and funerals are fairly quiet and small. One dresses nicely, but reserved.

Weddings have the benefit of more time, but are very simple and plain. If one is invited and shows up in jeans, that's not liked, but it's not bad since the reality is they are able to attend, many are not.

Funerals are very sudden - with 48 hours - and grave side is family only. Sitting Shiva, many think we are unkempt. However, we are taught to rend garments and cover all mirrors. So, it's a cultural difference. But, people dress normally then, at least in my world. So jeans and a t shirt are acceptable.

Other dressing up events - my issue now is finding enough coverage that fits my shape now. So, people get a nice, dressy skirt and a nice top from me. But, we don't go to many events, so not a major concern. My tichel typically is noticed before my clothing. My husband dresses better, but he looks sharp in a suit and wears one to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana