Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost Art of Manliness

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I fear this will be of less interest to men who want to learn to be better men, and of much interest to men who think other men need to be taught how to be more like them.

I am pretty content with the man I am, which is, to me, the most manly stance of all.

Plus, i am pretty sure the traditional notion of being a man does not involve spending your time collecting clothing from a bygone era and writing posts on the internet about it. Shouldn't we all be out shooting guns and herding cattle or changing tires or some such?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
I fear this will be of less interest to men who want to learn to be better men, and of much interest to men who think other men need to be taught how to be more like them.

I am pretty content with the man I am, which is, to me, the most manly stance of all.

Plus, i am pretty sure the traditional notion of being a man does not involve spending your time collecting clothing from a bygone era and writing posts on the internet about it. Shouldn't we all be out shooting guns and herding cattle or changing tires or some such?

Or growing beards, using power tools, urinating standing up (against trees, of course), watching the big game of [insert sport of your choice here, provided that it is football, baseball, basketball or hockey], renovating, stripping a transmission [with your teeth], polishing your knife collection...
:D

vintage68

Practically Family
MisterCairo said:
Or growing beards, using power tools, urinating standing up (against trees, of course), watching the big game of [insert sport of your choice here, provided that it is football, baseball, basketball or hockey], renovating, stripping a transmission [with your teeth], polishing your knife collection...
:D

Boy, it didn't take long for the trolls to hijack this thread. Did you even bother to take a look at the book?

If you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation, maybe you should keep your unnecessary comments to yourself? They're not in the spirit of the Fedora Lounge.

ok, courtesy laugh for those who wish be silly ;)

But seriously, I did actually look at the book, and I am excited about getting it for my nephew. I think it looks like a great resource - and enjoyable too.

I think the authors are right on the money when they say that many young men of the newer generations have missed the kind of instruction / modeling that they'd really like to have.

I have met a number of young men in my daughter's age bracket who really want to be gentlemen, and would really appreciate this.

I also applaud the authors, because it seems to me a very challenging subject to approach and make approachable.

By the way, part of the reason that I spend time on this forum is that I perceive I will be treated respectfully by the ladies and gentlemen here (and I have never been disappointed). If I want something less, all I need to do is step outside my house.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I'm with you HH. I believe many young men are hungry for this kind of information...and they're not getting it from the older men in their life.

Indeed, a whole community has sprung up around this book. Look here.

And thank you, vintage68, for bringing this to our attention.

vintage68

Practically Family
Hamilton_Honey said:
By the way, part of the reason that I spend time on this forum is that I perceive I will be treated respectfully by the ladies and gentlemen here (and I have never been disappointed). If I want something less, all I need to do is step outside my house.

What he said. And you're welcome Wolfmanjack, I thought it rather up our alley...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hamilton_Honey said:
I'm flummoxed by this statement. Please elaborate.

Geesie

Practically Family
vintage68 said:
Boy, it didn't take long for the trolls to hijack this thread. Did you even bother to take a look at the book?

If you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation, maybe you should keep your unnecessary comments to yourself? They're not in the spirit of the Fedora Lounge.

Do you want to lock the thread until we have all had time to peruse the book in question? [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
vintage68 said:
If you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation, maybe you should keep your unnecessary comments to yourself?
church_lady.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s Time For a “Menaissance”

'Men are no longer needed. For the past 40 years, the role of men in Western society has diminished immensely" Brett & Kate McKay

"The Call for a Menaissance

One of the reasons I started The Art of Manliness was because I noticed this sense of disorientation in myself and in my peers. It seems as though as women became more successful men were content to fade in the background and become slackers. The only idea of manliness I saw in popular culture was the crude caricature of it found in Maxim Magazine or on Spike TV."

Pure nonsense.....this tome teaches young men that they are inept and need to be instructed on how to become men. Further, it attempts to instill a sense of despair and resentment towards woman. Perhaps the following book should have been given earlier in a young man's development:

boy-scout-front-cover398.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
I'm going to purchase it. Thank you, vintage68! And great link, Wolfmanjack.

Pleased to oblige, Widebrim. I think we have a lot in common with these folks. Look here in particular.

They're a bit heavy on the "rules," though...IMHO, that is.

Geesie

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Pure nonsense.....this tome teaches young men that they are inept and need to be instructed on how to become men.

And I just don't think that a 25 year old law student is the expert that the world needs to teach us to be men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran