Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

Mallory roll-up fedora complete with cardboard tube w/cap. The unlined hat is very light and the in-reeded sweatband is soft and supple. This is some of the lightest felt I’ve handled. The raw edge brim is 2 ⅝” wide and the open crown measures appropriately 5 ⅜ inches. The felt is easily (too easily?) shaped. The size is 6 ⅞ and I suspect the hat is from the 1940s (the crown print has the 1823 date).

View attachment 480408 View attachment 480409 View attachment 480410 View attachment 480411 View attachment 480412 View attachment 480413 View attachment 480414 View attachment 480415 View attachment 480416 View attachment 480417

This hat is way too small for me so feel free to send me a PM if you’re interested. It’s going on eBay in a day or two.
What a fantastic find, Brent. I wasn't even aware of this kind of hat by Mallory.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Just won this Mallory 15 complete with original box on eBay! Looking forward to its arrival, one of my first ever vintage pieces. Just curious what advice you all would have for putting a date range to it when it gets here? I’ve been looking back through the thread and Googling as much as I can. The most info I have at the moment is that it seems to have been made for sale at a Rosenblatts Department store in Portland Oregon but I can’t seem to find much info on it.
5B383E1F-6BC3-456F-95A3-20C1607C4F29.jpeg

Attachments

• E5BDB370-3FCD-4CFE-88DF-9B0CC2247468.jpeg
    E5BDB370-3FCD-4CFE-88DF-9B0CC2247468.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 59
  • EB22783A-F26C-49EC-A9E0-43EB3756E0C2.png
    EB22783A-F26C-49EC-A9E0-43EB3756E0C2.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 5E39CE16-3302-45B3-B19F-330EFDAA505D.png
    5E39CE16-3302-45B3-B19F-330EFDAA505D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • F47BE54F-BCB0-4C10-93ED-86C2D321E0C9.jpeg
    F47BE54F-BCB0-4C10-93ED-86C2D321E0C9.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 46

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Just won this Mallory 15 complete with original box on eBay! Looking forward to its arrival, one of my first ever vintage pieces. Just curious what advice you all would have for putting a date range to it when it gets here? I’ve been looking back through the thread and Googling as much as I can. The most info I have at the moment is that it seems to have been made for sale at a Rosenblatts Department store in Portland Oregon but I can’t seem to find much info on it. View attachment 499658
I'd say late 1940's to early/mid 50's offhand.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
I'd say late 1940's to early/mid 50's offhand.
Thank you! Pouring through the thread again and I was thinking maybe early 50’s too, late 40s at a stretch. According to the seller the crown is 5 in and the brim is 2 1/4 in which doesn’t seem typical of a 40s hat but based on the liner pic it has to be post Stetson buy-out. Hopefully when it gets here some new clues will reveal themselves. They also listed it as Beaver which is exciting.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Thank you! Pouring through the thread again and I was thinking maybe early 50’s too, late 40s at a stretch. According to the seller the crown is 5 in and the brim is 2 1/4 in which doesn’t seem typical of a 40s hat but based on the liner pic it has to be post Stetson buy-out. Hopefully when it gets here some new clues will reveal themselves. They also listed it as Beaver which is exciting.
Just because a hat is listed as beaver doesn't mean much, but since this hat is a Fifteen, it may well have a little beaver in it.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Just because a hat is listed as beaver doesn't mean much, but since this hat is a Fifteen, it may well have a little beaver in it.
Yeah, not taking it at face value but it would be cool if true. Again, a picture can only say so much in these cases so wait and see…argh! But it seems in really good condition and while, based on the markings, it’s probably a base model it’s likely to be better felt than most modern production hats even if it turns out to be 100% rabbit.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Yeah, not taking it at face value but it would be cool if true. Again, a picture can only say so much in these cases so wait and see…argh! But it seems in really good condition and while, based on the markings, it’s probably a base model it’s likely to be better felt than most modern production hats even if it turns out to be 100% rabbit.
A Fifteen certainly wasn't a base model. Think of it as being equivalent to a 3X beaver hat, which were $15 hats.

Just won this Mallory 15 complete with original box on eBay! Looking forward to its arrival, one of my first ever vintage pieces. Just curious what advice you all would have for putting a date range to it when it gets here? I’ve been looking back through the thread and Googling as much as I can. The most info I have at the moment is that it seems to have been made for sale at a Rosenblatts Department store in Portland Oregon but I can’t seem to find much info on it. View attachment 499658

The dimensions, the liner, and the box make me think it’s one of the later 15s. I’d guess later 1950s or newer…but????

I'm going late 50s early 60s based on style and the square box (assuming it's really the original). The re-order tag may shed additional light once you have it in hand.

Looks like a Cavanagh edge.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
I'm going late 50s early 60s based on style and the square box (assuming it's really the original). The re-order tag may shed additional light once you have it in hand.

Looks like a Cavanagh edge.
Yeah, if it is it would be baby’s first Cavanagh! I’m thinking mid 50s because from what I’ve been able to glean the later 50s and 60s liner logos looked a little closer to the mid-century mod design style. Also, I always associate the 60s with smaller dimensions? Hopefully some tags will be present to shed light once it’s in hand. Still, excited to have found it!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Yeah, if it is it would be baby’s first Cavanagh! I’m thinking mid 50s because from what I’ve been able to glean the later 50s and 60s liner logos looked a little closer to the mid-century mod design style. Also, I always associate the 60s with smaller dimensions? Hopefully some tags will be present to shed light once it’s in hand. Still, excited to have found it!
That's one reason why I didn't think your hat was late 50's or so, because I associate a different liner with late 50's. However, not sure if Fifteens were an exception to what I'd normally expect to see.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
That's one reason why I didn't think your hat was late 50's or so, because I associate a different liner with late 50's. However, not sure if Fifteens were an exception to what I'd normally expect to see.
That and that crown, reasonably boxy and 5 in with the current shape in it…I tend to think it was either an old school shape made in the late 50’s/60’s or something made a little earlier. Or, possibly something that sat on the shelf and was sold as last year’s model, explaining the square box. Really fun to speculate during the horrible waiting to arrive period!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
That and that crown, reasonably boxy and 5 in with the current shape in it…I tend to think it was either an old school shape made in the late 50’s/60’s or something made a little earlier. Or, possibly something that sat on the shelf and was sold as last year’s model, explaining the square box. Really fun to speculate during the horrible waiting to arrive period!
One of my first impressions was that I wasn't sure the hat box was actually original to the hat, but I haven't paid any attention to later Mallory hat boxes.

NO earlier than 1953 as it has a plastic tip liner........everything points me to say 1960 or so......
NICE clean example and even then a 15 would be a good hat.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Please forgive a newbie’s questions, but I read through the entire thread and looked around online and was curious if there were any lists of the different models Mallory put out over the years (ie: the X, XV, the Dallas). Stetson and Dobbs are pretty well covered but Mallory seems a little elusive, or I’m just missing it. Checking out the MallorymADness thread next.

Please forgive a newbie’s questions, but I read through the entire thread and looked around online and was curious if there were any lists of the different models Mallory put out over the years (ie: the X, XV, the Dallas). Stetson and Dobbs are pretty well covered but Mallory seems a little elusive, or I’m just missing it. Checking out the MallorymADness thread next.
Short answer is NO....even for Stetson and Dobbs many models go unidentified......less that 10 percent of hats are marked with the model. Even the blocking tags rarely have said, until the crossover retail blocking/tear away tags of modern times.

A version of the modern tags attached to the sweat was around in the mid-late 50's indicating price and sometimes model but were often removed at purchase. They are a great find when found tucked behind the sweat of the hat.......

EDIT: And on the subject of models many a hat advertised one year was advertised the next as something different with no other change than their name (same for their felt colors too). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Curiouser and Curiouser as Alice said. But thankfully a really interesting rabbit hole to have fallen through. Just been searching through even more ads on Pinterest and reading Mallory’s history, really fascinating stuff and seems Mallory is quite well respected around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ