Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, so here are a couple of shots of the brim treatment of the Nokabout to illustrate what I was talking about in my previous post.

Here's the underside of the brim:

NokaboutBrim1.jpg

And here's how it looks topside:

NokaboutBrim2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:

Jimmy, out of all the wonderful lids you have (and he has more than one Stetson 100) this one really does it for me :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jonbuilder

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

Here is my one and only Mallory. The general proportions are similar to my Whippet but I find the Mallory felt much more substantial denser softer than the Royal Stetson Whippet felt. In a comparison shoot out the Mallory wins hands down. I paid in the same range for both hats but he Whippet required a clean and rebuild on top of the purchase price. The Mallory is one of my go to hats while the Whippet rarely comes out of its box in the closet. As a side note now that I have accumulated 20+ nice hats thanks to the inspiration I found on the Lounge , I am starting work on my camera skills so I can share them with the Lounge

buler

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
Here is my one and only Mallory. The general proportions are similar to my Whippet but I find the Mallory felt much more substantial denser softer than the Royal Stetson Whippet felt. In a comparison shoot out the Mallory wins hands down. I paid in the same range for both hats but he Whippet required a clean and rebuild on top of the purchase price. The Mallory is one of my go to hats while the Whippet rarely comes out of its box in the closet. As a side note now that I have accumulated 20+ nice hats thanks to the inspiration I found on the Lounge , I am starting work on my camera skills so I can share them with the Lounge

Hi Jon. Good to see you posting pics! Does that liner say "Established 1817" ?
Also, is it a paper size tag instead of a cloth tag?

OT: Please start a thread on your fedora blocked Stetson 100!!!

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Jimmy, out of all the wonderful lids you have (and he has more than one Stetson 100) this one really does it for me :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Coming from someone with so many great lids himself, that's quite a statement! I really do love the Nokabout. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jonbuilder

buler said:
Hi Jon. Good to see you posting pics! Does that liner say "Established 1817" ?
Also, is it a paper size tag instead of a cloth tag?

OT: Please start a thread on your fedora blocked Stetson 100!!!

B
Buler here are some better pictures of the Mallory that tell the story
IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

I'll make the 100 my next photo project and due side by with the 100 I brought fom you. Hey they both nice hats but he true is I wear the fedora more offen

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This thread has given me an excuse to re-photograph my Mallory Dallas, which I have re-creased since I first posted it here. This is one of my go-to lids -- it is comfortable, and the felt is beautifully soft. Mallory ads make note of the "Pliafelt Process" -- and I can't help but wonder if this was Mallory's response to Stetson's "Vita-Felt Process." Given the feel of this felt, it wouldn't surprise me -- it is certainly Borso-worthy. ;)

DallasLeft.jpg

DallasRight.jpg

DallasLiner.jpg

TheDallas-1.jpg

DallasFront.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Mallory ads make note of the "Pliafelt Process" -- and I can't help but wonder if this was Mallory's response to Stetson's "Vita-Felt Process." Given the feel of this felt, it wouldn't surprise me -- it is certainly Borso-worthy.

That sounds pretty likely. Apparently, Mallory kept it around a bit longer than Stetson kept Vita-Felt, as Mallory was still pushing Pliafelt in their 50s ads, while I believe that Vita-Felt was gone by the end of '45.

jonbuilder

jimmy the lid said:
Nice lid, Jon. Is there any felt quality designation on your Mallory?

Cheers,
JtL
Hi Jimmy the sweat is printed with fifteen and duplex edge and on the other side of the sweat is printed WKY in a square and C.N.Vicaxy Co. THE deeper I get into this hobby the more I see I 've been missing like completly reading the sweat not just looking at the sweat,s geneneral codition and construction. I quess I'll start looking for the tags behind the sweat. I just got shy about pulling the sweat out because a couple of brittle size tags have broken off. Hands on this Mallory felt is a step above a clean Dobbs fiften that I sold last week but I like heaver bodied felt
cheers

my new (old) Mallory

help please! I would like to date this thing! Nice old nokabout, grey with a blue hue, and paid a whopping 8.50 for it! enjoy the pics!
Cheers all!
ebay003.jpg
[/IMG]

ebay004.jpg
[/IMG]

ebay005.jpg
[/IMG]

ebay007.jpg
[/IMG]

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Mallory 20

Here's my Mallory. A Mallory 20 with a Cavanagh edge. It's hard to photograph acurately, but this pic is the best I can do. It's a very light shade of blue. It's probably the prettiest vintage fedora I own.

IMG_20060716_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
Here's my Mallory. A Mallory 20 with a Cavanagh edge. It's hard to photograph acurately, but this pic is the best I can do. It's a very light shade of blue. It's probably the prettiest vintage fedora I own.

IMG_20060716_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

I think I just fainted. Medic!!!!!! :D

Incredible. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko