Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mechanics of Cigar Smoking

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Daniel Riser said:
But what I really prefer are the German Xikar cutters. I've used that cutter for a year now and I've cut a lot of cigars with it and not once have I had to get it sharpened. Beautiful cutter.

I second this, they are great. Have an Xi2 myself.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I know some of you gents are cigar afficianados. Can anyone give a crash course on the mechanics, methods, ritual, and ettiquette that goes into smoking a stogie? Something about biting or cutting off the ends? I really have no idea.

Impart your wisdoms, please. It might help first timers at the QM not come off as foolish.

Also, throw in whatever you know about cigars and pipe smoking from the Golden Age, if you could, please.

Thanks, kids!

and yes, I know smoking is bad. I don't and won't smoke; I just want the low down.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Obtain a cigar trimmer. Looks like a little round guillotine. Your average tobacco booth will have one. Trim off about half an inch from the non-mouth end. Dip mouth end in brandy. Put to lips, hold lit match to the end (not a lighter, always a match), and gently draw until cigar lights. Puff a couple of times to ensure it's lit (DON'T inhale - you'll regret it big time unless you've done it before!). Then sit back in huge leather chair in the best spot in the club and prepare to relight several times, dipping in brandy as it dries out. The brandy dip should be leisurely but light - you don't want a big soggy bit at the end. And they go out easily so don't worry about that bit. :) And just repeating - don't inhale into the lungs, cigars are a bit strong for that. Let the smoke, the scent, the taste, swirl about over your tongue and into your nose, then slowly exhale it while looking enviably content. Enjoy. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This is a rather large topic.

And, my advice would be to ignore the brandy thing, though the advice is delivered by a rare beauty. Brandy dipping dates to the time when cigars weren't so carefully looked after and humidfied. Nowadays it just looks like your first time out.
Also toast the end before letting it actually touch fire.

Go to http://www.cigaraficionado.com and learn there.

A good trick to actually do with a snifter is to fill your mouth with cigar smoke, then let it roll out in a thick fog into the snifter, filling it on top of the brandy. then empty it of brandy while re-inhaling the smoke into your nose. Do this, my friend, and the surrounding men will applaud.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Have to disagree with the brandy Scotrace, but thanks for the compliment. :) Too dry at the end and it flakes. It just needs a little bit of moisture to be pleasant in the mouth. But I do agree that if you make a show of it you just look like, well, a pillock. Its about discretion. And, if the smoker tends to have a wet mouth in the first place, then no dipping. The snifter is great, just don't inhale and swallow at the same time in public, without a lot of practice - not good I found. But I bow to the more experienced. I don't smoke them often. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Proper cutting ensures no flaking.

How fascinating that you smoke an occasional cigar, Caledonia!

I think the fashion in the UK is to remove the band - in the USA, we tend to leave them on. Your prefrence?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I dip mine!

I like to use a nice aromatic high octane gasoline for dipping. Set on ground, ignite and run away. Do not hold in hand. :p
Then go and drink the brandy. :beer:

(I don't smoke.) [angel]

Disclaimer:
The above post is of course (mostly) nonsense.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
And, my advice would be to ignore the brandy thing, though the advice is delivered by a rare beauty. Brandy dipping dates to the time when cigars weren't so carefully looked after and humidfied. Nowadays it just looks like your first time out.

To hell with *how* she smokes - I am just gladdened to see female smoker! Keep up the good work, and please spread the gospel of cigar smoking to all of your lady friends, Caledonia!

scotrace offers good advice. I also suggest checking out http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/index.php . It's a great forum with a wealth of cigar smoking information.

Matt

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
It might be self-serving, but I recommend you pick up a copy of the book I wrote about cigars:

"The Good Cigar"

It tells all.

You can probably get a cheap copy on eBay or on Amazon.

Caledonia

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Proper cutting ensures no flaking.

How fascinating that you smoke an occasional cigar, Caledonia!

I think the fashion in the UK is to remove the band - in the USA, we tend to leave them on. Your prefrence?

Till it lights and burns my moustache I leave it on. Oh ok, I take it off. :) Not really sure why one would leave it on, it just gets in the way. Must read the rest of the thread though, because I've a lot to learn in this field. See you a few posts down :D

Caledonia

Practically Family
Just read the rest! I think Maj Nick's idea is pretty sound. Can I take a short leave of absence to research the other posts. I can? Thanks. Back soon. :D

Caledonia

Practically Family
Sooner than I thought! Great sites, but a bit confusing for my "need an answer NOW! brain. I love an occasional cigar, and have been known to trip the guy up (with no malicious intent whatsoever ;) )when he bypasses me with the cigar box to move on to the adjacent male. :) When I said "flaky" I meant that dry, papery feel (and the occasional flake - obviously not doing it right!) - it just isn't in my line of preference. But then I think we're all going to have our own predispositions, just like martinis. :D And you can always swap the brandy for a malt! Love it though, thanks for not ousting the girl!

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Cacklewack said:
To hell with *how* she smokes - I am just gladdened to see female smoker! Keep up the good work, and please spread the gospel of cigar smoking to all of your lady friends, Caledonia!

scotrace offers good advice. I also suggest checking out http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/index.php . It's a great forum with a wealth of cigar smoking information.

Matt

Glad to see a female smoker with a mustache?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cigareetes, Whuskey and Wild Wild Women
(Tim Spencer)

Cigareetes, whuskey and wild wild women
They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane;
Cigareetes, whuskey and wild wild women
They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane;

Once I was happy and had a good wife
I had enough money to last me for life
Then I met with a gal and we went on a spree
She taught me smokin' and drinkin' whiskee
(CHORUS)

Cigarettes are a blight on the whole human race
A man is a monkey with one in his face;
Take warning dear friend, take warning dear brother
A fire's on one end, a fools on the t'other.
(CHORUS)

And now good people, I'm broken with age
The lines on my face make a well written page
I'm weavin' this story -- how sadly but true
On women and whuskey and what they can do

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Roll my own

I heard many years ago that only an American would bite the end off a cigar. Been there, done that guess that makes me an American. I have grown my own tobacco for almost 15 years, fermented, and rolled my own cigars which appeals to me more than paying 5.00 bucks for someone to roll up dry leaves. I like my cigars straight, my whiskey with water. I'm not doing too bad since I have to watch my wife or she robs the humidor and cuts my cigars in thirds to have a sneak smoke with her gin and tonic. I cant complain tho, she only complains when I smoke in the house. She always goes outside. Thats why its called sneak smoking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points