Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mechanics of Cigar Smoking

funneman

Practically Family
Flash Gordon said:
I recommend you pick up a copy of the book I wrote about cigars:"The Good Cigar"

Holy cow! You wrote "The Good Cigar!"

I owe all I know about cigars to that book.

Folks we are in the presence of cigar greatness.

It's a pleasure to share a stool with you here in the lounge.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I have recently discovered the pleasure of enjoying a fine cigar. While I never thought I would smoke... (just don't have the lungs for it) and grew up with a parent who smoked 2 packs a day (in the house). I have come to find that alot of cigars have a really rich flavor. have only sampled a few.. most with Maduro wrappers.... really enjoy the Ashtons.. have tried mild to medium... Looking for tips on the right way to light them.. selection... torch lighters vs matches.. etc.... I've done a little research.. and thus far notice some times the same cigar seems to be harsher than at other times... sus pect it is in the way I am lighting them.... would appreciate any help or suggestions.....- Mike

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A torch lighter is good for your cigars, and comes in quite handy if ever you are called upon to do a little emergency spot welding.
The key, I find, is to not put the cigar in your mouth until you have held the foot just above and out of range of the flame. It will catch the fire and you'll be toasting the foot as you turn it slowly. Once it begins to glow evenly, you can then bring the tip to your mouth and draw while again holding the now-lit end just out of range of the flame. A couple of puffs and you're off and running.
Don't use a Zippo as the fumes can taint the first part of the cigar's flavor. A good wooden match or torch lighter work well.
Let the ash develop and get long. Never stub it out. When you're done (the instant it begins to taste less pleasant), just put it down in an ashtray and leave it alone. Stubbing it releases the curtain-killing stink your wife hates.

Try as many brands as you can until you find what you like. If you can taste it long after (next morning), you've tried to smoke it too long and/or you have a poorly made cigar.
Of course, the thing that makes a cigar great to enjoy is a good glass of scotch or bourbon.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, Mike. I share your affinity for Ashtons...especially the 8-9-8, as I too prefer a mild smoke. Many of the Macanudos are also quite nice...the Portofino is consistently good, as are the Crystals and Hampton Courts. A special treat is the Macanudo Gold Label which is usually available around this time of year. My last recommendation is a Diamond Crown CFW Robusto No. 5...a truely fine smoke! ;)

scotrace said:
Of course, the thing that makes a cigar great to enjoy is a good glass of scotch or bourbon.

Agreed...Bushmills or Jameson neat or over a bit of ice! :cheers1:

S

Samsa

Scotrace's advice on lighting is right on point. If you use a lighter, it should be one that uses butane fuel, not lighting fluid. Cedar matches are also good, and I believe this is what the purists insist on using.

As far as brands go, I'm partial to Paul Garmirian, though these tend to be rather expensive. I remember reading somewhere that those in the know consider these to be the best non-Cuban cigars out there. I also like Romeo y Julieta.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I smoke the occasional stogie, but I guess I should quit the coffin nails and switch to a good cee-gar.

My question his, how far down do you smoke 'em? I always end up going a bit too far and getting a nasty taste.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The instant that nasty taste appears, put it down. It varies from cigar to cigar.

After trying many, the only two I really find that I enjoy (and can afford), are Padron 2000 and La Gloria Cubana Wavell. You can get through either in 30 minutes.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And there is an old cadre that likes to hold a match or lighter beneath the cigar, rotate it and move it about evenly so as to warm it.[huh]

S

Samsa

Tony in Tarzana said:
I smoke the occasional stogie, but I guess I should quit the coffin nails and switch to a good cee-gar.

My question his, how far down do you smoke 'em? I always end up going a bit too far and getting a nasty taste.

I think the general rule is that you're supposed to smoke it down until there's one third of the cigar left.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Man your best bet would be going to a good cigar shop and asking all the questions you can. I've found most guys who work at cigar shops are more than willing to help you with any questions you have. A tourch lighter/cigar cutter combo is a must.

ortega76

Practically Family
There are many excellent resources available on-line for your cigar edification.

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/
http://www.neptunecigar.com/Allaboutcigars/cigarhowto.asp

I agree that a cutter or punch is a must. I prefer a cutter but I have a nice little Xikar punch on my keyring. It's convenient to carry and easy to use. A torch lichter makes lighting a cigar simple. I'd also recommend a small humidor, even if you just buy a few singles at a time. A small travel humidor makes it easy to keep a few cigars fresh or even transport them with you if you like to smoke after work. If you already have a humidor or you just buy a single and smoke it right away, I'd still recommend a carry tube or a case. It just keeps your cigars from getting crushed.

While whiskey is great with a cigar, I prefer coffee with my cigar. Of course wine, rum and even a good stout are also favorite ways to enhance the experience of a good cigar.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Two underrated Cigars:

CAO Moontrance: Budget cigar, very far off the high end stuff but I just had one today after a wonderful lunch and it was good. Runs about 7-10 USD and finishes with a light vanilla flavor. It's great for an occasion where you dont want to break your bank but wont resort to the truly cheapies. Comes wrapped in cedar which is always a nice touch and smells delightful. It is on the smallish size in diameter but that makes it easy to hold and smoke. A good all around cigar for you and your company wont mind the smell.

AVO UVEZIAN Intermezzo: Usually I give poor reviews to Dominican made cigars but this one is an exception. Each cigar comes inside its own screwtop case and smells like pure tobacco leaf (which I like the smell of). Its on the fat side as cigars go so it should last your through a round of brandy. Has a woody taste to it and a passing flirtation with rosemary. Also would couple well with a nice Cabernet-Sauvignion.

-------------------------
The only cigar that never fails to live up to its name however:

Cuban Cohiba - Not to be confused with the Dominican "Red Dot" these Havana made cigars are a must have for anyone from the diehard smoker to the passing flirter. U.S. Trade laws still prevent the buying and importation of these amazing cigars direct from Havana but if you buy them through their (ONLY) Mexican distributor the US will allow shipping to the states. This cigar is the only cigar that I have found to work with any food, drink, or moment. Their quality is unsurpassed.

Now you might ask which of their particular cigars is the best. The only response is that they all set a standard that other cigars try to emulate. However I enjoy the Robustos line more than others. Its a stocky little cigar that combines the perfect thickness and a shorter overall length so you can always smell the delightful aromas. Its got a little taste of what seems like honey and finishes with a clean woody taste, it is truly the cigar of cigars. And the way these cigars are rolled they will last for what seems an eternity... lol bliss.

Viva Cuba!

Johnnysan said:
Welcome to the Lounge, Mike. I share your affinity for Ashtons...especially the 8-9-8, as I too prefer a mild smoke. Many of the Macanudos are also quite nice...the Portofino is consistently good, as are the Crystals and Hampton Courts. A special treat is the Macanudo Gold Label which is usually available around this time of year. My last recommendation is a Diamond Crown CFW Robusto No. 5...a truely fine smoke! ;)

Agreed...Bushmills or Jameson neat or over a bit of ice! :cheers1:

Oh man! Two people I can completely agree with. :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points