Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Thank you all for the support. I haven't tried setting it yet, but I'll play with it this weekend. I did get some compliments on it at work. I think I was just more upset that she said she understood it, but she obviously didn't It is long enough for pin curls, so I may try that tonight and see what happens. If it turns out decent, I'll post the results.[huh] :)
Meg

Smuterella

One Too Many
Hi Miss Elainey - I have to say your do does look like middy to me from the front lengths, is it not U-shaped at the back?

Pics of my first pincurl set since my cit are now up on here.

MissElainey

Familiar Face
Hi there!

She did get the u shape to the back, but the top layers aren't long. Like a previous poster in this thread showed with her hand-drawn diagrams, the short on top blends down into the longer back rather than vice versa. I just this moment am playing with a set before I go out with friends, so we'll see how it does. The top os just barely long enough for the red velcro rollers and not long enough for any of the plastic "magnetic rollers". On the other hand, pin curls are a bit easier. I have my bangs/fringe side parted and in velcro rollers with pin curls around my face, and I'll use the curling iron to take care of the back when it's dry since I can't find the other velcro rollers. LOL

I have some of those sponge rollers with the twisty wires in them that are small, I'll try those tomorrow, maybe. I'm finally getting the hang of pin curls, sorta...:eek:

Smuterella said:
Hi Miss Elainey - I have to say your do does look like middy to me from the front lengths, is it not U-shaped at the back?

Pics of my first pincurl set since my cit are now up on here.

MissElainey

Familiar Face
OK, I can deal with that

Well, it's not bad for a quick set just around the face for a couple hours.
quickstylepost-cut.jpg

I think if I put the curler going back instead of under next time, it won't be quite as flippy. But I do like the side part, and the back seems to curl under without a curling iron pretty well. I think if I took more time with the pin curls and did the back and all overnight, it could get close to how I want it.
WHEW!:eek:

Smuterella

One Too Many
MissElainey said:
Like a previous poster in this thread showed with her hand-drawn diagrams, the short on top blends down into the longer back rather than vice versa.

See, my 40's diagrams don't show that at all - mine show the top layers being shorter. There were several different haircuts popular at the time though.

I actually think what you have IS a middy or a close approximation of one, judging from the diagrams I have.

The set looks great!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Miss Elainey- Glad to hear your style is working out better than you'd expected. I think it all comes down to playing around with it until you get used to the shorter length. I bet it's been a while since you've styled hair that short! Keep up the good work!

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a middy diagram in a longer length? My Grandpa's a barber/hairdresser so I could have him do my hair for free, however, he's not sure what a middy is, and all the diagrams I've found aren't very clear and are for a shorter middy.
My hair is directly mid bust length when straight and a couple of inches higher when curly. I don't want super short hair, I'd like it at the very least to my shoulders, I just want it shaped correctly. :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Femme Fatale

Kiri said:
Does anyone have a middy diagram in a longer length? My Grandpa's a barber/hairdresser so I could have him do my hair for free, however, he's not sure what a middy is, and all the diagrams I've found aren't very clear and are for a shorter middy.
My hair is directly mid bust length when straight and a couple of inches higher when curly. I don't want super short hair, I'd like it at the very least to my shoulders, I just want it shaped correctly. :)

Here you go, Kiri! Try these. If you need a bigger version to print, PM me!

Screen-shot-2010-10-01-at-9.58.26-AM.png
Screen-shot-2010-10-01-at-10.01.41-AM.png

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

Thanks Land or Lakes! Still getting use to the cut.
Thanks Tatum for the Middy Haircut picture. This one is better then the one I took to my hair dresser.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
That is from the 1940's hair book that sells for ridiculous money. I think the only really worthwhile part of that book is the middy diagram, its what I took to my stylist.

Tatum

Practically Family
Kiri said:
Thank you so much! And is it just me or does that picture look slightly like Lolita Haze? :)

I think it does too!

I'm so glad the diagram helped you out. There are a few different cuts, where mostly the length is different. Let me know if you would like me to post those as well.

I am going to see my ex-stylist friend today to get a trim (finally! she is so hard to pin down) and I am curious as to how short I will end up going, as it is split-end city here... I'll post pics when I return!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Does anyone have a picture of one of the longer middy's straightened? I'd like to see what it looks like before setting but with long hair since I'm growing mine out. I'm a big visual learner lol

I'm kinda worried that if I get it cut in a middy i will always have to style it or can never straighten it if I have to. Not to mention the shortest layer will have to be able to be pulled back in a ponytail. ;)

Thanks ladies!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Thanks...I had seen that, but I think she got hers cut in one of the shorter middy's....I was hoping someone that had long long hair had gotten it done with the longer layers in ya know? I'm not looking to go quite as short as she did in the video. I'm curious to know how it would look unstyled but yet long....like five or six inches below shoulders? I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw