Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Our first taste of absinthe was unfortunately Le Tourment Vert. To be kind let's just say that our favorite part about the experience was admiring the ornate bottle it came in. Not only was it bad tasting but we had a tremendous hangover the next day. We've heard that in the U.S. Lucid and Kubler are both good brands. Any other brand suggestions or comments about these two brands?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I love this reproduction absinthe fountain.

lady_absinthe_fountain.jpg

Anyone own a cool absinthe fountain?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Phil said:
[bad]
DEAR GOD NO!!!!
90% of my school would be dead within a day or two of its re-legalization. There already have been 7 deaths from underage over-drinking this year. It's sad really, they can't have a good time sober, so they have to drink themselves stupid to enjoy themselves. Back to the subject though, the kids here have ways of getting alcohol.
"Hey Frank, I bet you I can pound down a whole bottle of this Absynthe stuff in one gulp."

But is it not better that these types remove themselves from the gene pool before they can spawn? ;)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
If those 'kids' (or anyone else actually) manage to drink themselves to death on absinthe, that's one expensive way to go!

NicknNora, I don't have a fountain to show; am forced to enjoy my absinthe from bottle to spoon to glass, alas. ;) My most recent acquisition has been Meadow of Love, which I bought through Drink Up NY. It appears they're out of it now, but keep an eye out, in case they restock.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicknNora said:
bump...any absinthe drinkers in the house who can recommend a good brand you can buy in the U.S.?
Fedora Gent gifted us with a fine bottle, "Vieux Pontarlier, Absinthe Francaise Superiere" from Distillerie Emile Pernot. It's yummy. Doesn't even need sugar.

I am not sure where he got it, but it was in San Francisco = and they mailed it!

So PM him and ask.

sproily

Practically Family
I think I'll have to get a bottle of absinthe to with my new smoking jacket :p

I still have a drop left. In Finland we have an alcohol monopoly. And only one brand of absinthe is sold. And it's crap.

So I'll have to use Pernod!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
If those 'kids' (or anyone else actually) manage to drink themselves to death on absinthe, that's one expensive way to go!

NicknNora, I don't have a fountain to show; am forced to enjoy my absinthe from bottle to spoon to glass, alas. ;) My most recent acquisition has been Meadow of Love, which I bought through Drink Up NY. It appears they're out of it now, but keep an eye out, in case they restock.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503

Thanks for the tip. We'll keep an eye out for it.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
Fedora Gent gifted us with a fine bottle, "Vieux Pontarlier, Absinthe Francaise Superiere" from Distillerie Emile Pernot. It's yummy. Doesn't even need sugar.

I am not sure where he got it, but it was in San Francisco = and they mailed it!

So PM him and ask.

Thanks Miss 1929. We will do that.;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Anecdote: Traditional absinthe is illegal to sell in the US, because it contains a chemical called Thujone, extracted from wormwood, which is banned by the FDA. As a result, American companies are now finding ways to filter out this chemical, and sell their brands of absinthe.

It's always been legal in Canada, but I don't know many people who drink it. It always seemed like a vampire's drink to me (anyone remember IT Crowd? lol). I've tried it before, and I thought my esophagus was vapourizing.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I believe the laws have changed in the past year or two, C-dot. It used to be the only thing on my liquor store's shelves was 'absente', which was, indeed, the thujone-free stuff. That's why I had my first bottle of LaFee brought over from England. Now, though, European companies ship their product to the USA without a problem, and through Drink Up NY you can ordered absinthes from all over the globe (though some are not worth messing with). I could buy a bottle of Swiss Kubler down the street if I wanted to. The Meadow of Love that I recently got is distilled in New York state, and has received glowing reviews, but it is not a weakened, or toned-down drink.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
C-dot said:
Anecdote: Traditional absinthe is illegal to sell in the US, because it contains a chemical called Thujone, extracted from wormwood, which is banned by the FDA. As a result, American companies are now finding ways to filter out this chemical, and sell their brands of absinthe.

No, Greendevil is a scam, selling crappy herbs to fools thinking you can macerate herbs in alcohol, and call it absinthe.

Traditional Absinthe is infact being distilled in the USA, distillation is the only way to make absinthe, anyone else that tells you otherwise is a liar.

Thujone is allowed in absinthe in the USA, what the scammers like Greendevil won't tell you is that the majority of thujone stays in the still after distillation.

For what it's worth, thujone is largely irrelevant, you body can't tell the difference between 5gm, 10mg, or 100mg. A large number of false claims have been made by the Eastern European "Absinth" sellers, don't believe the B.S.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Well, peel my tangerines!

Sorry for the Greendevil link. I did a Google search, and all the sites seemed to say the same thing. I'd heard about Thujone before, and that site was the most authoritative. [huh]

It's a good thing the laws are changing now, and that American absinthe is not "weak" or watered-down.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Actually this one is a better reference:

http://www.thujone.info/

Absinthe has been off the banned list now since 2007, the majority of U.S. distillers are making pretty fair absinthe now, and are improving steadily.

The only ones propagating the myth that American & Modern absinthe is watered down, are the sleazy Eastern European "Absinth" scammers, and the steeping herbs in alcohol crooks that are seeing their market share dry up when consumers taste how awful their swill tastes.Avoid the make your own kits, unless you want to make yourself sick from consuming undistilled wormwood....:eusa_doh:

There are a number of people in the USA, that have been, and continue to work quietly, on some incredible absinthe that compares well to some of the best older names from long ago.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Based on what I see in the photo, I can see why.

Pick a properly distilled absinthe, avoid those industrial ones like in your posted photo.

I'm not up on what decent brands are available in your part of the World, but that blue-green swill is not anywhere near what absinthe tastes like.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
While I am certainly no expert, it seems that some time ago the product called absinthe was outlawed because of the supposedly deleterious intoxicating effects of the thujone in it. US law was recently relaxed (or possibly re-interpreted?) to allow the marketing of a product under the name "Absinthe," but it must still be thujone-free.

So the question to the imbiber who might want to experience the decadent absinthe experience is whether that special experience was dependent on the presence of thujone. If so, the experience will elude those drinking thujone-free product, whatever it is called.

It is said that pre-ban product was tested and found to contain de minimus amounts of thujone, implying that the experience is not thujone dependent. There is reason to find this sort of test result suspicious, in that it is in the interest of the testers, and it is easy to conjecture that the chemical composition of a product stored for decades changed over time.

I would say that burden is still on producers to prove that their product can deliver.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Richard Warren said:
While I am certainly no expert, it seems that some time ago the product called absinthe was outlawed because of the supposedly deleterious intoxicating effects of the thujone in it.

Except that other products, including another famous green liqueur contained thujone, yet they were not banned.

US law was recently relaxed (or possibly re-interpreted?) to allow the marketing of a product under the name "Absinthe," but it must still be thujone-free.

Except that all brands sold in the USA contain thujone. The TTB will confirm that

So the question to the imbiber who might want to experience the decadent absinthe experience is whether that special experience was dependent on the presence of thujone. If so, the experience will elude those drinking thujone-free product, whatever it is called.

And what would that decandent experience be...

Look up Fenchone sometime, and a few of the other components.

It is said that pre-ban product was tested and found to contain de minimus amounts of thujone, implying that the experience is not thujone dependent. There is reason to find this sort of test result suspicious, in that it is in the interest of the testers, and it is easy to conjecture that the chemical composition of a product stored for decades changed over time.

And other studies not made by producers, showing low thujone levels are not valid?

Or do you prefer Arnold's wild guesses? Without any hard evidence...lol

And of course any changes over the years would leave no chemical evidence of change, or degradation markers,......thujone must be really remarkable beyond the whole decadent experience.

I would say that burden is still on producers to prove that their product can deliver.

Deliver what? Kylie Minogue as the Green Fairy from Moulin Rouge. lol

Perhaps you could tell us, what product does "deliver".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo