Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

sinawalli

New in Town
Tried some Czech absinthe, it sells here in Alberta, and it was soooo bitter, like floor cleaner!! No matter what I mixed with it, it tasted awful!! Hard to get a good buzz, when you can't get by the taste!!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Czech "absinth" is not real absinthe, it's just cheap steam extracted essences, mixed with poorly rectified vodka, and some green dye.

Canada liquor distributing system needs to be overhauled, you can get some decent absinthe, it just isn't going to come from the Czech Republic.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Went to Polly's on Brunswick street here which is a cocktail bar and has an impressive selection of absinthe. I enjoyed quite a few (in truth too many) Küblers and Verte de Fougerolles.

Absolutely beautiful but was a bit unsteady on the old pins walking out of the place!

http://pollybar.com.au/

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"How was your head the next morning?" polly's bar looks very much like the "Devilles Pad" here in the Swan River Colony"

http://www.devillespad.com/

devilles-she-devil-coaster.gif

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Surprisingly I wasn't as shabby as what I expected. I did drink about a gallon of water before I hit the sack which probably didn't hurt.

It's a fun place Polly's, recommend it to anyone when they're in Melbourne.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Well, I finally got a bottle of Legendre Herbsaint Original- the 100 proof recipe.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It has officialy become my favorite anise favored liquor.
It's like this; take all the best of the Amish licorice, Good n Plentys, Absinths, black jelly beans, anisette I've ever consumed and concentrate them into a size of a baseball, then hold my mouth open while Nolan Ryan at his peak throws it at my face. :cool:
I'm afraid this bottle won't last long.:cool2:
Makes me wonder about the 90 proof recipe, Legendre Herbsaint Liqueur d'Anis Veritas.
Also makes me wonder about the 120 proof recipe, and hope Sazerac Co. decides to make some- I'll be on line, waiting for mine.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Well, I finally got a bottle of Legendre Herbsaint Original- the 100 proof recipe.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It has officialy become my favorite anise favored liquor.
It's like this; take all the best of the Amish licorice, Good n Plentys, Absinths, black jelly beans, anisette I've ever consumed and concentrate them into a size of a baseball, then hold my mouth open while Nolan Ryan at his peak throws it at my face. :cool:
I'm afraid this bottle won't last long.:cool2:
Makes me wonder about the 90 proof recipe, Legendre Herbsaint Liqueur d'Anis Veritas.
Also makes me wonder about the 120 proof recipe, and hope Sazerac Co. decides to make some- I'll be on line, waiting for mine.

The 90 proof Herbsaint is less complex than J.M. Legendre's original version, and is more forward in the use of star anise.

I've gone through a couple of bottles of the new Herbsaint Original myself.;)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
The 90 proof Herbsaint is less complex than J.M. Legendre's original version, and is more forward in the use of star anise.
Is it worth a try?

Absinthe_1900 said:
I've gone through a couple of bottles of the new Herbsaint Original myself.;)
I just had it over crushed ice, and allowed to sit a little while- no sugar. Would you suggest doing a drip like Absinthe?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The modern 90 proof Herbsaint is not too bad, it's generally looked upon more as a mixing ingredient, and the 100 proof vintage repro Herbsaint Original is a better stand alone drink. (Herbsaint Original is quite nice in a Sazerac too)

I understand some internet crank likes to drink Herbsaint out of a vintage Herbsaint drip glass. The vintage Herbsaint glasses make a perfect glass everytime

HerbsaintDripglass2-1.jpg

since the supply of those glasses is exceedingly scarce and quite expensive, you can get a nice Herbsaint dripper from here: http://www.talesofthecocktail.com/shop/herbsaint_dripper

Pair the dripper with a nice reproduction absinthe glass like this:

http://www.lamaisondabsinthe.com/product-p/200.htm

Or one of the other types of reproduction absinthe glasses out there.

These Spanish Tarragona glasses are very nice, and the inspiration for the vintage Herbsaint glasses:

http://www.absintheclassics.com/absinthe_glasses.html

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I've had some good homemade stuff before, with plenty of thujone (or so I was told.)
I don't buy the 'hallucinations' either (van gogh probably owed that to chronic toxicity from his paints) but there is one thing I definitely noticed —
you can drink it all night long and still be pretty sharp, coordinated, witty, and conversant, while feeling the effects of the alcohol. I actually really enjoyed it. It's like anti beer.

I buy the cheapo stuff in tiny bottles now just to flavor my sazeracs, but if the opportunity comes up again...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The early version didn't impress me, though I've heard from people who's opinion I trust that it's improved. (It takes time to really get a handle distilling and coloring a verte)

I am a bit of a tough audience, it's worth trying.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Have any of you absinthe aficionados come across a French brand called Libertine? Besides regular absinthe in several percentages they also do a liqueur of chocolate absinthe. I've never ever had absinthe before but I'd really love to try it, and there's something about a combo of chocolate and something licorice-y/anise-y that is spurring me onwards toward a purchase of one or both.

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21