Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Money Clip

Just wondering what the consensus is as to the use of money clip. It always seems that the guy that has a money clip as a functioning daily use item is well to do and the "sporting" type.

I have one that holds bills on one side and ID or credit cards on the other. I use it on trips to Las Vegas. I'd like to get a smaller one in the design of the $ (the us dollar sign) at some point.

Pros and cons of its use?

donCarlos

Practically Family
I brought one from New York many years ago, but I never use it. Simply because I never have enough banknotes.
I sometimes feel that I would have more use for some kind of medieval purse for coins.lol

Decodence

A-List Customer
I've sported a Tumi money clip for the past 14 years. My previous one finally wore out, so this updated style is what I am sporting now. Previous style worked slightly better IMHO as the clip part was longer. Not cheap, but lasts forever, and I LOVE them..
_5524142.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decodence said:
I've sported a Tumi money clip for the past 14 years. My previous one finally wore out, so this updated style is what I am sporting now. Previous style worked slightly better IMHO as the clip part was longer. Not cheap, but lasts forever, and I LOVE them..
_5524142.jpg

That's very similar to one I got a four years ago at Sharper Image, except the backside is clear (for driver's license or similar) and the clip side has the cash clip plus a Velcro-ended tab to stretch across the cash. The middle is also a pocket for more cash or cards.

I'm never going back to a "normal" wallet again. It also made me start carrying only what I really need - ATM card, one credit card (for any emergency or if the bank's computer's down), my Costco card, and inside, four or five of my business cards, health insurance card and that's about it.
And it fits nicely in my trouser pocket or shirt pocket without being too bulky.

The bankroll as a wad of cash.

donCarlos said:
I brought one from New York many years ago, but I never use it. Simply because I never have enough banknotes.

Often for trips to Vegas and certain events I will get $100 in one dollar bils and $100 in five's. This makes it easy to have a wad of cash in the clip for TIPS (or tokes the Vegas term) and small expenses that come up.

Decodence

A-List Customer
MEDIUMMYND said:
Never use a money clip or wallet to easy to have all your wad picked in one easy go.
If somebody could snag my money clip out of my front pocket without my knowledge, they would have to be ONE HELL of a pickpocket.

poetman

A-List Customer
I've been using one for years. It's classy, and slim, just what I need. I keep a few cards stacked between my money. Wallets are too bulky, and look silly bulging in pants or jackets. A money clip has always worked well for me. I use a silver one with stripped lines on the front. The clip itself is a nice mechanism that doesn't break! Some money clips break very quickly after constricting and opening so often.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a gold clip from Cartier (40's from my father), a sterling clip from Tiffany and a Tumi card/clip combo.

Shoes404.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
I carried a wallet in my back pocket for years, but it finally became a literal pain in the ass.

For the last year I've been carrying a Dunhill money clip. I keep some bills wrapped around my license, corporate Amex, personal Amex and ATM card.

In my briefcase I keep a coat wallet that holds my checkbook, receipts to be expensed later, and all my other plastic. Depending on the need, that coat wallet may hitch a ride in my suit/top coat.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A modern Mont Blanc money clip that I use most days. I carry a mont blanc ballpoint everyday. On a good day Ive got the MB cufflinks on to match.
Oh, and a MB chronometer.

I still carry a passport size wallet, but prefer to keep my cash separate from my ID & creditcards.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Decodence said:
If somebody could snag my money clip out of my front pocket without my knowledge, they would have to be ONE HELL of a pickpocket.
Come to London and ride on the tube you"ll soon find out how good they are.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Nice, I don't have a photo of mine, but it's a leather pocket, with a spring loaded clip on the outside. A "front pocket" wallet. I hate sitting on the old fashioned wallets that many have.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
I found a vintage one

recently with a small relief picture of and the words "Avalon Bay" from the early days of Catalina Island. sorry no pic. I also just found a coin caddy, a little round pouch type thingy that is folded to lie flat and carried in the trouser pocket to hold coins I will try and post a pic of it soon. It goes well with the money clip as it keeps loose coins from sticking in between the bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy