Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most important meal of the day!

Edward

Bartender
In an ideal world, it'd be at 8.15am most days, and the full Ulster Fry - that's essentially the same thing as the Full English, but with the (Northern) Ireland bread products - potato bread and soda bread. Baked beans were not traditionally part of it, but are an Anglicisation which is now common. Of course, in an ideal world I wouldn't ever weigh more than eleven stone no matter what I ate, so a full fry every day wouldn't be a problem... :(

As it is, I rarely eat breakfast. i had a relative staying this weekend and so ate breakfast for the first time in I don't know how long at home. First time in a month if you count hotel breakfasts. I wish I made the time more often, but.... well. I can do a good fry when I can be bothered, but really it isn't worth the effort when I'm only cooking for one. More likely frosties or weetabix (with sugar), with tea instead of milk. Or toast. Don't often care to eat much before midday, but when I do i feel so much more alert all day.

Starius

Practically Family
In honor of this thread, I had my favorite breakfast this morning. (And partially because the thread made me hungry too.)

My breakfast, for your viewing pleasure:

eggcupbreakfastei5.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:pizza: EVERY meal is important to me, lol! :essen:

Since being on WW, I usually have oatmeal every morning with about a T. of sugar free butterscotch pudding mix, splenda, and sugar free Mrs. Buttersworth syrup. Glass of milk.

On the weekends it's polenta sliced like pancakes and fried, topped with spray butter and s/f syrup, scrambled eggs, and either ham or canadian bacon. Sometimes french toast. Sometimes fried potatoes.

I like biscuits and gravy and regular bacon, and enjoy a good breakfast caserole too!

Nikki

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Of course, in an ideal world I wouldn't ever weigh more than eleven stone no matter what I ate, so a full fry every day wouldn't be a problem... :(
QUOTE]
11 stone, that's 154 pounds, right? So I'd love to get down to 12 1/2 stone.
Starius said:
In honor of this thread, I had my favorite breakfast this morning. (And partially because the thread made me hungry too.)
My breakfast, for your viewing pleasure:
eggcupbreakfastei5.jpg
Beautiful, too good to eat. However I believe the knife blade should face INWARD. But picky picky aside, that looks idyllic. You had a cup of nice strong English black tea with that, right? I prefer mine with milk and a teaspoon of honey. Yum.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It usually takes a few hours upon waking up for me to develop an appetite. On those days, I just have a glass or two of water, and a cup or two of coffee.

When I'm in the mood for a good breakfast though, I have a few personal favorites.

I love a good vegetable or green chile omelet. Usually save that for the winters though.

Huevos Rancheros is another good one, assuming its done right. Have to have a big crispy tortilla to place your goodies into. Having a spare tortilla on the side to soak up the juice is great too.

Breakfast burritos are good from time to time too.

And sometimes, a simple bowl of cereal accomplishes enough.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I've also read that kids who ate something with sugar in it for breakfast were more alert in the morning for school.

I hate to dispute your expert, but having been a teacher, I think it depends on what kind of sugar and how much sugar you are talking about. Those who have sugars from fruit, or a little sugar with a balanced breakfast, do come in the classroom with more energy and hopefully the ability to focus. The kids who come in after having just a super-sugary cereal, donuts or whatever, are often in "sugar coma". The sugar rush from the "kids cereals" seems to last about an hour, which is usually from breakfast until the bell rings. Then they come in and want to sleep on their desks. (of course some of that depends on who has a bedtime earlier than mine too.) :eek:
Of course then there were the kids who came in after Halloween and told me that they had four candy bars on the way to school. "Gee Johnny, that would explain why you are hanging upside-down out of your seat, twitching, with a pencil up your nose...." lol

As for my favorite breakfast, I think I have to go with scrambled eggs made with onion, cheese and bacon, served with hash browns, cranberry juice and a glass of milk.
I rarely bother with all that though. I only do that for special occasions. I usually have oatmeal with raisins, Malt-o-Meal, Cherrios or yogurt.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Give me about a half-dozen or so eggs over easy, six or eight pieces of bacon, a good size helping of grits, a couple pieces of toast, and add a stack of pancakes on the side. Top it off with plenty of good cold milk and hot black coffee. And if I'm really hungry, throw in an extra helping of cat head biscuits and sausage gravy.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I seldom eat breakfast, it may be the most important meal of the day, but it is by far my least favorite. Usually my breakfast is a cup of coffee.

In a perfect world, I would eat breakfast about 10, 10:30. A bit of cheese, some prosciutto, a small, relatively unsweetened pastry, along with a cappuccino.

I could then have a nice lunch at 2 or 3, with a small dinner around 9:30.

Starius

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Beautiful, too good to eat. However I believe the knife blade should face INWARD. But picky picky aside, that looks idyllic. You had a cup of nice strong English black tea with that, right? I prefer mine with milk and a teaspoon of honey. Yum.

Right you are, of course. I had used the knife to crack open the first egg and had just carelessly set it back down to take the picture. Forgive my carelessness!

I'm afraid I am not much of a tea (or even coffee) drinker, but I do crave a chai tea from time to time. Today I simply had a glass of water with my meal. Because I know I don't drink as much water as I probably should.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
HoosierDaddy said:
What! No one's mentioned good ole biscuits and gravy??..side O crispy hashbrowns topped with Brooks tangy..?? What's this world coming to...
HD

On the rare occasion that I actually eat anything before 11:30 in the morning (which is usually Friday), biscuits and gravy is my breakfast. Pancakes are second. A ham steak is third. OJ and milk are a must.

Farmer Boys restaraunts in Southern California has a great B&G bowl with scrambled eggs and sausage (which explains my breakfast timing - I start work an hour earlier on Fridays and can get there before 10:30.) Another good place is Lisa's Diner, about half way to work for me, on San Bernardino Road, in West Covina. (Although, I haven't been there since it changed owners.)

Lee

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Best breakfast I've ever had as Lemon Gingerbread Pancakes, a scrambled eggs, and home fries at a resturant in Berkley. But I have yet to match that recipe so I normally eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich with milk.

Haversack

One Too Many
Well, I get up at 5 AM in order to allow myself a somewhat leisurely breakfast. After a couple of days of oatmeal and strawberries, today I made myself a more substantial breakfast. Two mini-omlettes - One with gouda and cherry tomatos from the garden, and one with garlic jack cheese and more tomatos. Three strips of bacon from the North German butcher near to where I work. (He makes nine different types of bacon.) A couple of romaine leafs filled with garlic hummus. A toasted English muffin with golden syrup. Coffee.

On weekends, I'll do something similar but with poached eggs for my wife and with sliced tomatos, avacados, and currently, fresh roasted corn-on-the-cob.

Haversack. (I walk a lot.)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: OY, don't even get me started on kids and sugar! I think that's the reason many kids are on ridilin(sp?) these days!
My son hardly gets any sugar, and if he does I try to make it from fruit.
He has oatmeal with bananas and mixed berries for breakfast.
I agree Joie.
Nikki

I hate to dispute your expert, but having been a teacher, I think it depends on what kind of sugar and how much sugar you are talking about. Those who have sugars from fruit, or a little sugar with a balanced breakfast, do come in the classroom with more energy and hopefully the ability to focus. The kids who come in after having just a super-sugary cereal, donuts or whatever, are often in "sugar coma". The sugar rush from the "kids cereals" seems to last about an hour, which is usually from breakfast until the bell rings.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
I hate to dispute your expert, but having been a teacher, I think it depends on what kind of sugar and how much sugar you are talking about. Those who have sugars from fruit, or a little sugar with a balanced breakfast, do come in the classroom with more energy and hopefully the ability to focus. The kids who come in after having just a super-sugary cereal, donuts or whatever, are often in "sugar coma". The sugar rush from the "kids cereals" seems to last about an hour, which is usually from breakfast until the bell rings. Then they come in and want to sleep on their desks. (of course some of that depends on who has a bedtime earlier than mine too.) :eek:
Of course then there were the kids who came in after Halloween and told me that they had four candy bars on the way to school. "Gee Johnny, that would explain why you are hanging upside-down out of your seat, twitching, with a pencil up your nose...." lol
Actually, now that I think about it, the "expert" might have been referring to adults. Whatever. The world is crawling with experts who don't know their you know whats from Shinola.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
Right you are, of course. I had used the knife to crack open the first egg and had just carelessly set it back down to take the picture. Forgive my carelessness!
Consider yourself forgiven, Now there's another world of something or other, the technique and finesse required to EAT a soft boiled egg. There are some folks who are grossed out by the possibility of UNCOOKED EGG WHITES slithering through. That, of course, is the whole challenge and art of soft boiled eggs, getting the timing just right. But it's a very elegant gesture, tapping the knife or spoon around the circumferance of the egg, removing the top, and scraping out the insides. The combination of a really juicy wet softboiled egg and nice crispy toast just cannot be beat. Don't you agree?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
ohairas said:
:eek:fftopic: OY, don't even get me started on kids and sugar! I think that's the reason many kids are on ridilin(sp?) these days!
My son hardly gets any sugar, and if he does I try to make it from fruit.
He has oatmeal with bananas and mixed berries for breakfast.

Bless you Nikki. I'm sure his teacher appreciates it. I know I would! :D

dhermann1 said:
Actually, now that I think about it, the "expert" might have been referring to adults. Whatever. The world is crawling with experts who don't know their you know whats from Shinola.

While I have strong opinions on kids and sugar, most of the teachers I knew didn't enter a classroom without a cup of coffee, usually with a significant amount of sugar! For me it was usually black tea with honey.... Caffine and sugar have often been the savior of many a worker. lol

Starius

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Consider yourself forgiven, Now there's another world of something or other, the technique and finesse required to EAT a soft boiled egg. There are some folks who are grossed out by the possibility of UNCOOKED EGG WHITES slithering through. That, of course, is the whole challenge and art of soft boiled eggs, getting the timing just right. But it's a very elegant gesture, tapping the knife or spoon around the circumferance of the egg, removing the top, and scraping out the insides. The combination of a really juicy wet softboiled egg and nice crispy toast just cannot be beat. Don't you agree?

Couldn't agree with you more.
I remember telling a friend of mine from high school about soft boiled eggs in egg cups, and he was dumbfounded. He had never even heard of soft boiled eggs before! I could tell he was a bit repulsed by the idea. Depends what you are raised with I suppose. I've tried to expose friends to braunschweiger on toast as well, with limited success. Oh well, more for me. ;)

I do love the process of eating soft boiled eggs in egg cups. It is very much like a ritual of sorts. It makes you take your time and enjoy the breakfast experience. Actually, it takes a great deal more time to prepare the meal and everything than it does to actually eat. I suppose in a age where you can microwave a breakfast sandwich in 50 seconds, it might not appeal to a lot of people.

How do you feel about poached eggs and toast? Another simple yet underrated breakfast, I think.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm nuts about cereal!

Honey Nut Cheerios
Boo Berry
Franken Berry
Frosted Mini Wheats (Brown Sugar & Strawberry are my faves)
Total Raisin Bran
Cracklin' Oat Bran (mixed w/ Fiber One!)
Honey Bunches Of Oats

At one time in my life I was eating cereal for all three meals. I still gravitate towards it when I don't feel like cooking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot