Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most important meal of the day!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I grew up using an aluminum egg poacher. My grandmother and her sisters actually broke the eggs into boiling water. That takes technique. If you're adept, it's great way to cook an egg. So true about the ritual. That's the word I was groping for.

S

Samsa

I guess my favorite would be eggs over easy, sausage links, hash browns, toast, and coffee. Pancakes with wild blueberries are a close second. Most days however I simply have cereal, fruit, and water.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I am trying to eat healthy, but so many foods can be downright lethal. I steer clear of foods that contain processed sugars, artificial sweetners, caffeine and I also limit my sodium intake. So what's left to eat?:eusa_doh:

I eat what can be considered a boring but healthful breakfast during the week-
plain ordinary oatmeal with a banana, OJ, and skim-milk. Yuch! But the oatmeal with just a sprinkle of cinnamon should keep my blood sugar in check, the banana contains the vital heart-healthy mineral potassium to keep blood pressure in check, and the skim rather than regular milk should keep my cholesteral at safe levels.:rolleyes:

On the weekend I usually have a more indulgent breakfast-
I start off with a chilled glass of tomato juice (Bloody Mary) or OJ (Mimosa). Saturday it's whole wheat blueberry pancakes with warm honey, and Sunday an all egg-white Spanish omelet along with whole wheat toast. Once in a while I really walk the wild side and have also have a plate of homefries.lol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Babydoll said:
I married a Texan, so I'm used to alot of the foods he talks about, but I've never heard him mention these. What are they? (Or should I be afraid to ask??)

"Cat head biscuits" are just plain ol' biscuits as big as a cat's head. Those little bitty miniature biscuits (anything less than 3" in diameter) are for girls. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Trader Joe's "Volcano" coffee (arabica from Mexico) in a French press. Brown sugar. Organic whole milk. Toasted sourdough wheat bread. British butter from Jersey cows. Cream of Wheat (the longer-cooking kind). Nectarines and strawberries from the farmer's market in Atwater. Trader Joe's organic yogurt.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RedPop4 said:
the NEXT meal.

I was gonna say that :p

OATMEAL! I LUV the stuff. Some brown sugar, soy milk, mmmme gewd.

Also over med eggs, but I have YET to find a place that makes them right. I hate a crispy skin ick!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Trader Joe's "Volcano" coffee (arabica from Mexico) in a French press. Brown sugar. Organic soy milk.

Thats what I drink all the time, exact process too! :eek: Except for the soy milk, you are my coffee kindred.

LD

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm... I don't eat breakfast, i drink breakfast, fo me it's ,coffee, coffee and more coffee... Truly! that's all the breakfast I have, sometimes I also have a glass of orange juice.
The most important meal of the day for me is dinner. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lady Day said:
Thats what I drink all the time, exact process too! :eek: Except for the soy milk, you are my coffee kindred.

Coffee cup cheers from me to you :cheers1: :)

That "Volcano" stuff is a gas. At my local Trader Joe's, it's selling like hotcakes. (Mmmm ... hotcakes!)

Actually, I do have soymilk for breakfast now and then. :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Hmmm... I don't eat breakfast, i drink breakfast, fo me it's ,coffee, coffee and more coffee... Truly! that's all the breakfast I have, sometimes I also have a glass of orange juice.
The most important meal of the day for me is dinner. :)
But in Australia you have breakfast at night and supper in the morning, right???
BTW, nice new avatar. You one pretty lady.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
But in Australia you have breakfast at night and supper in the morning, right???
BTW, nice new avatar. You one pretty lady.

We have breakfast in the morning and supper at night :confused: Do we? Well, it doesn't matter really :p lol
Thank you dhermann1 :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I had to have a favorite breakfast (besides waffles w/peanut butter and hot syrup) it would go a little something like this [btw, Pavlov must be ringing a bell somewhere]:

Four eggs over easy
1.5 lbs slab bacon, medium cooked (so it's chewy and not crispy)
2 pieces of toast with butter
2 lbs hasbrowns, crispy
1 bowl oatmeal
1 pint whole milk
1 pint Orange Juice
1 cup hot, black coffee

Yes, I have had this wonderful breakfast on a few occasions.
No, I'm not fortunate to have it as often as I'd like.

I must agree with BK in that I used to have a serious issue with eating in the morning; I would get very ill. However, after I started working out and lifting weights, I can't stop eating. Granted, I gain weight like a dry sponge in water, but hey, you only live once, right?

Starius

Practically Family
A few people have mentioned about the fact that they sometimes feel sick in the morning if they eat breakfast.

I thought I'd mention the fact that I have the exact opposite reaction: I feel nauseous if I don't eat something in the morning due to medication that I take. I don't always feel like eating in the morning either, but I make sure I eat a piece of bread with strawberry jam on it at the very least. Otherwise I'll be feeling uncomfortable for about a hour and a half. Milk isn't good to take after this medication either, so I tend to have cereal for lunch but not for breakfast.

And now on to important matters: Breakfast in Australia!
In 2003, I spent 6 weeks in South Australia visiting family. During that time, I had some of the best food in my entire life. I mean, seriously. You need to go there and eat things. Yeah yeah yeah, its a beautiful country, the people are great, yadda yadda yadda.....EAT THEIR FOOD! Especially the sea food... omg, I loved it.
Oh yeah, What did I have for breakfast there? Hah,... honestly, I don't really remember now. I think I had a lot of pastries from a little shop run by some Koreans in the town of Port Pirie, for breakfast. I still dream of their apple strudel... but seriously. The food was fantastic.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
No matter what time I wake up, I have to have breakfast-type food.

My favorite breakfast is eggs over easy, so I can break the yoke and dip my sourdough toast in it, a few strips of bacon, some good coffee with (believe it or not) powdered cremora. I prefer the powder stuff, oddly. I wille eat hash browns, but prefer country style potatoes.

I also like cereal and toast or oatmeal and toast, may be a little sugar-free maples syrup on it.

Also will eat bagels with lox and cream cheese, I learned to love it when I lived in NYC. Sesame bagels are my favorite.

If I have had coffee earlier, prefer to drink plain ice tea.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21