Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Here's a recent one with the ends waxed out straight.

Untitled-Grayscale-01.jpg

JeffOYB

Vendor
I'm getting some mustache static from folks that is puzzling me. I like a lot of styles, including vintage/classic and steampunk. Folks seem to enjoy my tweeds and knickers/breeches and various hats.

I recently began sporting a *handlebar mustache* and it's causing quite a stir. I thought it was just fun and nifty. I like the bold voyageur/pirate angle and it's just plain classic/classy, I would think.

Friends are baffled. People don't recognize me. Family threatens scissors.

If I let it "down" and it droops like a Harley biker then they're fine. They like my beard and/or 'stache short and bristly. I thought a flowing, curvy look would be a nice change. Is it a face-shape thing? Are there certain faces that like 'em and others don't? Maybe it just doesn't work on me. It just seems like it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not huge. Medium. Family has said they'd rather I had a short horseshoe which, again, seems "biker" to me and not steampunk/classic so much.

I kinda like the vintage tweed fixie bike culture that's blooming of late. A handlebar seems fitting. It's now ski season and I also go vintage on skis. So why wouldn't a handlebar fit there, too?

They can't say exactly why they hate it. But I can't say exactly why I like it, though I have those leads above. So I'm stuck. Ideas? I'll head over to the Handlebarclub.com and see what's up there...

JeffOYB

Vendor
Yeah, good idea. But folks usually respond really well to my fashion moves. Guess I need to press on thru the heat. Tho I don't want to make folks uncomfortable. ...Tho a recent hat -- a tartan driving hat gets raspberries I like it anyway. Mostly, I manage a "different but good" response. Lucky! :) But maybe I've somehow gone a step too far. I suppose some 'staches just don't "fit" people. Mistakes can happen. Maybe I'll post a pic...

Another idea would be to get out on the town a few times and get a read from the general public. If pitchforks come out, that's a sign. If I get a good reaction, that's a sign, too. ...Take a meter reading, yeah, that's the idea. (We're going to a nifty town for a few days tomorrow, so that'll be my test. I hope that family I meet there doesn't cry.)

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
I'm getting some mustache static from folks that is puzzling me. I like a lot of styles, including vintage/classic and steampunk. Folks seem to enjoy my tweeds and knickers/breeches and various hats.

I recently began sporting a *handlebar mustache* and it's causing quite a stir. I thought it was just fun and nifty. I like the bold voyageur/pirate angle and it's just plain classic/classy, I would think.
A photo would be nice.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Friends are baffled. People don't recognize me. Family threatens scissors.

If I let it "down" and it droops like a Harley biker then they're fine. They like my beard and/or 'stache short and bristly. I thought a flowing, curvy look would be a nice change. Is it a face-shape thing? Are there certain faces that like 'em and others don't? Maybe it just doesn't work on me. It just seems like it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not huge. Medium. Family has said they'd rather I had a short horseshoe which, again, seems "biker" to me and not steampunk/classic so much.

I kinda like the vintage tweed fixie bike culture that's blooming of late. A handlebar seems fitting. It's now ski season and I also go vintage on skis. So why wouldn't a handlebar fit there, too?

They can't say exactly why they hate it. But I can't say exactly why I like it, though I have those leads above. So I'm stuck. Ideas? I'll head over to the Handlebarclub.com and see what's up there...
Hi

Do a search on Snidley Whiplash, then maybe you'll see why they don't like it. I get static if I let mine get too long. I own Moustache wax that has never been opened.

later

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I do envey your mustache. I wish mine grew so full, alas I have a slightly bald philtrum.

"It is an art, the growing of the moustache! I have sympathy for all who attempt it.”

I've seen some excellent 'taches with little in the centre. The only way to know how it'll look is to let it grow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy