Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Man, I've been growing mine for over two years, and it is currently the longest it's been at 7.6" tip to tip as waxed here. In those two years I've ocassionally trimmed back the ends, usually only 1/8"-1/4" at a time to keep them even, but I've just been leaving it to grow lately.

JeffOYB

Vendor
OK, here's a pic! : )

I did bend to the howling and shortened the ends. I also just trimmed it a bit lower, away from the ol' blow-holes.

We went to the city last weekend -- so that increased the pressure. When we were there we saw a huge mural of music composers and half of them had dandy moustaches -- and they weren't getting booed. What gives? :)

Muttonchops might look nice, too, especially on those of us who are greying in those "side stripe" areas. Why not shed 'em and get a pair of chops?

Of course some faces just don't "go" with this kind of fun. It seems hard to tell, though. My approach is that attitude is 80% so why not go for it! : ) Still, I get jittery at times.

jp.best.stash.P1040777.sm.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
The only thing I could possibly nit-pick about is the beard being almost a bit flat on the bottom, which is possibly a bit too parallel with the moustache shape. What would happen if you extended the centre of the beard slightly? That might complement the moustache better.
As for the moustache - looks fine as is!

JeffOYB

Vendor
Thanks! :) Yeah, I've wondered about the beard shape and how it can work with the mustache. For some reason I thought that 'flattening' the lower might moderate the visual impact of the upper. I guess I should try it both ways and see what sticks! :)

...Does mustache wax always 'fall' or sag when dampened? I do a lot of outdoor sports -- snow, rain and such -- the 'stash will get wet. It seems like it all falls at this point. I don't really care but am curious.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
If you're using Clubman it will, because it's water based. Most of the better waxes are beeswax and petrolatum so they withstand the water much better. Hndlebars (that's how it's spelled) is very water resistant, as is Firehouse.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
A lot of males in my family have worn mustaches at one point or another:

Maternal Great Granda -- wore one at least in the 1930s and 1940s. A closeclipped, pyramid style stache
Maternal Grandpa - Wore one in the late 60s-1975. Again, a pyramidal mustache.
Maternal Uncle - Wore a mustache from at least 1981 to 2007. Now alternates between a goatee and a solo mustache.
My father - Wore a thick Selleck-esque mustache with minor exceptions from 1971 to 1989, when he began dating my mother she asked him to go cleanshaven. He regrew it briefly again in 1995 and 1998. Attempted it again in December but shaved it because it came out too gray for his liking. Also my dad finds it easier to stay cleanshaven at 58.

Paternal Great Great Grandfather -- Wore a thick, Stalin-esque mustache in at least middle age. Was cleanshaven by the time he was an old man.
Paternal Great Great Uncle -- Wore a Flynn/Gable-esque mustache from the 1930s through at least the mid 50s.

Brother in Law's father -- Wore a mustache for most of his life up until a year or so ago. Shaved it due to it coming in gray.

JeffOYB

Vendor
So from previous replies it seems my drugstore 'stash waxes aren't going to cut it, but it looks like Hndlebars and Firehouse are only available online and are rather pricey. Is there any decent wax that's available via typical local dealers? Barbers?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Very unlikely. Don't be put off by the price, a tin of wax lasts quite a long while, several months for me and I have a large 'tache I wax almost every day.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Were big mustaches (think Teddy Roosevelt or William Howard Taft) around in the 1930s/1940s? I ask because I'd imagine TR's legacy still loomed large in the 30s and he was pretty much THE American icon of masculinity in the 1900-1920 period.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So from previous replies it seems my drugstore 'stash waxes aren't going to cut it, but it looks like Hndlebars and Firehouse are only available online and are rather pricey. Is there any decent wax that's available via typical local dealers? Barbers?

Hi

You might try Barber Supply stores. There's one here in Wichita Kansas, and if we have one....

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran