Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
In my circles, Bounder comes highly recommended. http://www.mr-wax.com/ No first hand experience of the wax, but very pleased with the unbreakable, credit-card sized mirror I bought from them....

Bounder has the best hold I've ever come across, but it is water-soluble and dissolves in the rain or from breath condensation. I understand he's working on a water-resistant formula now, which I look forward to trying.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Foad has an entertaining video.
[video=youtube;G5O5yuEf68A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5O5yuEf68A[/video]

And fun Jazz Music in this one. Cool fez hats too.
[video=youtube;A28FRdgP7_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_422999&src_vid=G5O5yuEf68A&v=A28FRdgP7_g[/video]

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's going to take a couple more months but I'm in the process of letting mine grow out more so I end up with something similar to what Mr. Natty (Matt Raines) is sporting.
natty.jpg

I'll post up a pic around the end of May with you results, or sooner if it grows fast enough.

Cheers!

Dan

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
On my to do list for my 6 months of parental leave is growing a decent moustache. My moustache growing ability is horrible so I will probably need that long and even then it might not succeed lol Wish me luck!

dnjan

One Too Many
If this parental leave is to care for a new child (rather than an aged parent), did you check with the Significant Other about the moustache-growing first? Unless it comes in very soft, she might not "appreciate" the efforts.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
If this parental leave is to care for a new child (rather than an aged parent), did you check with the Significant Other about the moustache-growing first? Unless it comes in very soft, she might not "appreciate" the efforts.

It's for international adoption. I mentioned it to her before and didn't receive any strenuous objections, so I'm gonna just go for it and hope for the best :D

dnjan

One Too Many
Sounds like a plan!
Plus, babies like having something on/near the face to grab onto! Moustaches, ear-rings, etc.

Enjoy the experiences (both the moustache and the new one in the house - though possibly in a different order)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Sounds like a plan!
Plus, babies like having something on/near the face to grab onto! Moustaches, ear-rings, etc.

Enjoy the experiences (both the moustache and the new one in the house - though possibly in a different order)

Thanks, Don! I'm really looking forward to the time off. I don't know if there is such a thing as tips on how to grow a better 'stache faster, but judging by your majestic set of whiskers (that is you in your avatar I presume) you would be the man to give em!

I'm behind the 8 ball here, so if you've got tips for me let's have em!

dnjan

One Too Many
Time.

That one has been there since about 1979.

Possibly, having someone dislike it may accelerate growth. Don't know for sure. But the girlfriend back then didn't like it (neither did my mother).
I kept 2 out of three. Mother eventually got used to it and I eventually got a new girlfriend.

Warden

One Too Many
Quote of the day "Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

See BBC News story here

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Time.

That one has been there since about 1979.

Possibly, having someone dislike it may accelerate growth. Don't know for sure. But the girlfriend back then didn't like it (neither did my mother).
I kept 2 out of three. Mother eventually got used to it and I eventually got a new girlfriend.

Well, I've recently resolved to refurbish grandpa's old safety razor and start shaving with proper shaving creams and soaps and such during my time off, so perhaps that little vintage ritual will inspire my whiskers to grow faster. I may even graduate to a straight razor given enough time.

At the risk of going a little off topic, I hear wilkinson sword make the best razor blades. Any opinions?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Well, I've recently resolved to refurbish grandpa's old safety razor and start shaving with proper shaving creams and soaps and such during my time off, so perhaps that little vintage ritual will inspire my whiskers to grow faster. I may even graduate to a straight razor given enough time.

At the risk of going a little off topic, I hear wilkinson sword make the best razor blades. Any opinions?

I'm new to DE shaving, but so far I'm found the Feather Hi SS blades to be very good. I've got a sampler pack of about eight different brands and I'll decide on the final selection after sampling them all.

J.W.

A-List Customer
The Wilkinson blades are the worst ever I tried, the same is true for their shaving soap in the black bowl. Terrible product, IMHO.
For blades, try Merkur or Feather for a start. I'm actually quite happy with a couple of no name-blades in my Merkur 23c. My favourite shaving soap is the Proraso sensitive: fantastic creamy foam!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Good info!

Thanks guys! I'll definitely be checking out those razor blades. Currently, grandpa's old razor has seen better days; it's looking a bit the worse for wear after being stuck in the bottom of a cedar chest for at least as long as I've been alive. I think it will be a neat little project for my parental leave time, and I think it would be a nice link to a grandfather I never had the privilege of knowing.

When I finally get back to my side of the globe, I'll haul it out and post some pictures of it. Who knows, I may even manage to graduate to a straight razor if I can get the process down fast enough to fit into my excessively early mornings when work comes around again.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
A good shave takes time and shouldn't be rushed!

Quite so, nor do I intend to rush it. My comment was meant to be more in the vein of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"; the more proficient you are at a skill, the less time it will take (within a certain limit). Unfortunately my morning shifts start at 6 am and my commute is currently over an hour each way, so I have to get up at 4:20am which is barely enough time to shave with my crappy electric razor, eat breakfast and put my uniform on before I have to leave. I'm not a morning person in the slightest, so the idea of getting up even earlier to fit in a shave with unfamilar equipment is not so appealing.

The nice thing is that I'm off work until december so I have lots of time to learn the ins and outs of shaving with a safety razor during that time. Of course I've used the disposable blade gilette ones before, but by the sounds of it it's a whole different ball game using a brush, bowl, proper shave soap, aftershave, safety razor etc.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Today was the first day that I shaved with a DE razor. I started with a brush and soap last week with my Proglide, the improvement was noticeable. Yesterday I received my new DE razor. Even with it being my first shave, it was really smooth. I've already started thinking about a straight razor.

I'm afraid this may be as addicting as fedoras.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy