Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moustache wax review

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Chaps, the "BOUNDER" (Extra Firm) Moustache Wax arrived in the post 24 hours after ordering it (Lightening fast as a Royal Enfield, so hang onto your handlebars- I'd say!).

http://www.mr-wax.com

As you'll see from the photos (below), the packaging is well done with the 'Wax Industries' Deco Logo (harkening back to the 30's and 40's) stamped on the padded envelope and sticky label - a nice little touch I thought!

The Owner/Trader pens himself 'Mr Wax,' and all-in-all I 'feel' a lot of time, energy, effort and love for the product has gone into the creation of this and the way it is packaged & marketed. It's great to see small cottage industries or 'one-man-bands' (Jo Malone started with making her perfumes..etc on the kitchen table at home!) have the bottle and entrepreneurial drive to spot a gap in the market and 'have a go!'

So...when one opens up the padded envelope you are greeted by a square brown paper pack containing the 3 x 10gramme tins of the wax. Again, the little pack/envelope has been well thought out from a marketing perspective. The brown paper harkens back to more vintage days of parcel paper & telegrams. The Logo and fonts are all 30's inspired Art Deco / Streamline and the Company Owner is none too shy to promote the England/London link - and why not!

It does have 'that' Retro / Empire feel to it. Simple, streamlined classic materials and not out of place in a shop in St.James's or Knightsbridge, or further afield in Edinburgh or Dublin to be honest.

*(Hint - might be worth approaching higher end barbers, cigar shops, stores, ..etc, if not done so already).

THREE SMALL TINS (10G) - one for the pocket, one for the bathroom and maybe one for your travel bag!

Initially these tins may look 'small.' But actually a 'small' ball of the stuff goes a long way. It just takes time and patience (just like your tache probably took to get it looking 'just so,' so don't rush it).

The base product is Bee's Wax and Glycerin soap (for that warm, clean fresh polished smell and feel) that takes me back 30 years to Boarding School classrooms.

The flavouring / scent is from Navy Rum (a pretty manly scent and drink!) and sweet Vanilla extracts. Not overpowering chaps to the nostrils, just a subtle hint and actually I find the more I wear it, the 'more' I get occasional bursts of these scents coming to the fore! The rum & vanilla really work well together as a scent!
Would be greatly complimented by aftershaves / EDT's with notes of Coffee, tobacco, leather, lavender, Bay Rum, dark chocolate, tweed..etc!

When it comes out of the screw top tin, (again, note the Deco'ish logo's reminiscent of an old 30's Telegram!), it does seem fairly 'hard' (reminds me of the Boot Dubbin I used in the Army!). But...all it needs is a little warming, so sit it near a heat source like a fire, on a radiator, in a shallow dish of hot water or under a hair dryer and it will 'relax' in consistency - trust me, it does.

Little bit between index finger and thumb, roll it around into your skin and then apply from the inside of the tache (right under your nose Gents!) working outwards towards the handlebar grips (the ends). Don't expect to get it right first time, but again, the more you do it the easier it becomes. Once it's on, I give it a little brush and style the ends with my fingers. You may find that going over your waxed moustache with a hand-held hair dryer (or just pop it for a few seconds behind the exhaust of a 1936 Riley) will warm the wax up again to allow your fingers to massage it into the hairs and style it.

I then twist the ends into the classic upturned 'happy faced' Wing Commander moustache (a baby version of the Dali..!).

Doesn't feel greasy at all, holds tight like the grip of an Anaconda and has the great "masculine" scent of Caribbean Rum and vanilla pods as you relax on your Plantation Chair watching the sun set over the Empire after a hard day's graft out on your Colonial Farm.

Chin-Chin!...PADDY.

P1050109.jpg

P1050108.jpg

P1050105.jpg

P1050104.jpg

P1050102.jpg

P1050100.jpg

P1050099.jpg

P1050110.jpg

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Paddy, Would you compare it to any other wax you've used? I've really wanted to try it, but with the shipping time from the UK, my need for instant gratification puts me off.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I use Firehouse wax now, It's good. I was just hoping for a comparison, I've hear such good things about Bounder.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Bounder has a better hold than Firehouse (both Dark and Wacky Tacky), but Firehouse has better lasting power than Bounder in wet conditions. Hndlebars is the best all-around wax I've used, stiffer than Firehouse but with its water-resistant quality. Both Firehouse and Bounder can leave a bit of wax frost if applied too heavily, but are not visible if used in moderation.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Nick, Thanks for the review of Hbdlebars. Once I figured out that you had not misspelled the name, I checked out their website. Hndlebars looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. I've placed an order.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the review Paddy. Your hirsute appendage is coming along nicely.:eusa_clap

I've been using the Firehouse Wacky Tacky with pretty good success.
100_7255.jpg

Like the name says it is a tacky wax and has some excellent all day hold, especially at the ends. The middle section needs a retouch throughout the day but that is only because it is in an active zone. The scent here reminds me of honey, probably because of the type of bees wax that they use.

The other I have used when I want a softer bushy look is Oregon Wild Hair moustache wax. It is a medium hold and requires a few reapplications if you want that really manicured look to the moustache. But it too has a decent all day hold on the ends. The scent they say is musk, but I find it to be rather mild and it disappears pretty quick.
[video=youtube;I6Y_94uyAjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Y_94uyAjk[/video]

I've used both of these waxes in the rain and they hold up rather well in an all day tour in downpours and drizzles of the Pacific Northwest.

The next wax on my must try list is Mr. Natty's Twizzle Moustache Wax. "Empires are built on this.", he says.;)
twizzle.png

Again, another product that the packaging has been well thought out on to evoke a different era in gentleman's grooming habits.
[video=youtube;vEoCEZMlpiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEoCEZMlpiE[/video]

To me I'm interested in the Lavender & Bergamot scent. Both of which I rather enjoy. Once I finally get some I'll post a review here. Maybe by the time I get a tin of Mr. Natty's my moustache will be a bit longer and fuller to really pull of a natty style.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone here had any experience with Foad Wax or Mr. Natty's Twizzle Wax? I've heard elsewhere that they hold well even in wet weather. One thing I'd like to know about is their scent. Especially Foad's as I haven't read much on what it smells like. Essential Oils is a tad vague in the description department.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on these two waxes? Nick D, have you used either of these, what is your take on them? Is one better than the other in certain conditions? Doe one have better holding power over the other? Does one allow for maybe a bushier moustache with hold better than the other?

Cheers!

Dan

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've not yet tried either Foad or Natty Twizzle. I was going to get a tin of NT, but ended up getting a tin of Superior Moustache Wax on a glowing recommendation. Have you looked at the Handlebar Club forum? There's discussion of both those waxes, expecially Natty Twizzle.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have heard of it but haven't gone lurking there as of yet. I may have to pop in and take a look at the reviews there. Since I'm new to the whole waxing thing, I've only picked up on a couple of Youtube videos. Thanks for the heads-up and be sure to let us know how Superior does for you. Do you happen to have a link to their site?

Cheers!

Dan

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I received a tin of Hndlebars Wax yesterday. This morning I applied it as directed and went for a bicycle ride. Went for an hour's hard ride with all of the sweat and running nose that accompanies it. The mustache remained pretty much as it was when I left for the ride. Next time I may use a little more wax and wait a little longer before I leave the house. I believe that the extra time may allow the mustache to setup a little firmer. I've heard that many do not like the smell. I don't object to the smell, I believe it's lanolin.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Today in the pouring rain all morning the good old Firehouse Wacky Tacky did it's job admirably. The cooler weather seems to set it fairly stiff too so the moustache doesn't succumb to the dreaded droop.

Cheers!

Dan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Glad the rain didn't put the fire out on your FIREHOUSE there Dan. Seems to be a good recommendation for those of us in rainier climates!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Paddy. It really seems to do the job well. My next purchase will be the Mr. Natty Twizzle Wax. I'll be sure to review it here and see how it does in the rainy climes.
It would be interesting to know what type of wax product that someone like Lord Kitchener had used back in the day to keep his epic moustache on point, and then try to replicate it. Just to see how it really worked and if they had to constantly reapply or one treatment per day.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, KITCHENER had an iconic set of bristles (Teddy Roosevelt had a decent Edwardian tache too!). Possibly back in the day something like Parafin or Beeswax..? Maybe even animal fats!! I'm guessing, but someone in here will no doubt educate us :)

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Anyone reviews on the the Mr. Natty Twizzle wax then :)? I have an on again off again affair with my handlebar but after seeing the movie Tombstone a few times within a short period of each viewing I had the desire to grow it out again. I normally use Stern Hungarian Moustache Wax as it's available in shops here, it does a decent job but throughout the day the mustache wins and the wax falters so I'm definitely on the look out for new stronger ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner