Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

K

kpreed

Hail The Moustache!

I have almost always had one since I could grow one (it's who I am) and think they are really great. I even suffered a lot of guff in the Army for having it (no other stashes in that unit, but me), but right now with my medical problem (Ataxia, with really bad hand shakes) I do not have one(can not keep it trimmed) and really miss it. Someday, oh someday.

Rooster

Practically Family
I shaved my upper lip for the first and last time when I was 18. I'm not sure how to categorize mine, it pretty much does what it wants to.... red on one side , white on the other.:p
buckaroo.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Skinny 'stache

About 3 months ago I had an overwhelming urge to resurrect my mustache. I grew it back with the unconcsious urge, which evolved into a conscious urge, to emulate the very widely admired on the site William Powell. I had it in my avatar for a few weeks, but currently my image is pre-stache. I will have shots of my mug in a few days in my spanking US Navy captain's uniform that I'm sporting for my role in The Caine Mutiny, but I have to get a good high and tight haircut first. I suppose you could put the mustache wearers into two camps, the pencil and the many variations of the full. But a 'stache is a 'stache, I say.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have to cast an enthusiastic vote for the moustache. I've never been bare lipped since age 14. Every man in my family has a moustache. It's just an unspoken tradition. I'm talking about real moustaches not those "Is there something on your lip?" types.
Many, many times I was the only guy around who had one. They tried to make me shave it in the Air Force but they couldn't because regulations allowed it. I put up with a lot of grief for my Burt Reynolds/Magnum PI macho man era lip decor but I've always worn it with pride. It seems that other guys were always telling me to shave it. Jealous perhaps? Women have always responded favorably. I think they like a man who isn't afraid to do something different. Having seen Burt, Tom Selleck, and Sam Elliott without theirs, my wife has told me I'm not allowed to ever shave mine.

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Havana said:
I have to cast an enthusiastic vote for the moustache. I've never been bare lipped since age 14. Every man in my family has a moustache. It's just an unspoken tradition. I'm talking about real moustaches not those "Is there something on your lip?" types.
Many, many times I was the only guy around who had one. They tried to make me shave it in the Air Force but they couldn't because regulations allowed it. I put up with a lot of grief for my Burt Reynolds/Magnum PI macho man era lip decor but I've always worn it with pride. It seems that other guys were always telling me to shave it. Jealous perhaps? Women have always responded favorably. I think they like a man who isn't afraid to do something different. Having seen Burt, Tom Selleck, and Sam Elliott without theirs, my wife has told me I'm not allowed to ever shave mine.

Hey there was that a direct hit on the pencil 'tash? ;) only kidding. variety is the spice of life dear friend. a 'tash from 14, thats tremendous dedication sir!

Havana

One of the Regulars
Nothing but respect for those pencil thin moustaches. Those make for a great Golden Era look. You can't disrespect a style worn by Errol Flynn and Clark Gable! I was refering to those barely there, shapeless peach fuzz types. They just bug me. Mine is brown with some stray blonde hairs in it. I keep the color more uniform by using an eye lash pencil which is a tip I got from an old barber.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thoroughly enjoy my moustache. I typically wear it for six months and have been doing so for years. I revel in the training stages and for the first few weeks of shaving it off I feel quite awkward not having it and my long time Russian barber damns me to hell when I do so. It is a lot of fun going back and forth from waxed to unwaxed, from sweep to bars to points.
I always try to get mine below my bottom lip.

freebird

Practically Family
I believe you do, mine is re-growing after getting too close to a straight razor
headshot1.jpg
5-28-08me001-1.jpg

pre-straight razor incident ..also pre eye-patch, taken about a year ago;, and one from May 28, 2008

Where do you get your firehouse 'stache wax? I've been using clubman tube wax, and will need a stiffer wax after it gets a little longer than it is atm. I used to buy Oregon Wild Hair on ebay, but I had to use both clubman and the OWH to achieve the look I wanted. For example, I curled the stashe using clubman, then went back over it with the OWH to make it stay put. If I can find a wax that does both, then I'll stick with that brand lol.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Ya know, Freebird, it can be bought directly from their website too. OregonWildHair

Alas, I started growing mine back a month ago but shaved it off last week. I don't know why. I had one for several years that rivaled the stashes you boys have grown. The fact that the recent regrowing was coming in grey might have deterred me for a while. :mad:

Richard

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
freebird said:
Where do you get your firehouse 'stache wax? I've been using clubman tube wax, and will need a stiffer wax after it gets a little longer than it is atm. I used to buy Oregon Wild Hair on ebay, but I had to use both clubman and the OWH to achieve the look I wanted. For example, I curled the stashe using clubman, then went back over it with the OWH to make it stay put. If I can find a wax that does both, then I'll stick with that brand lol.

Great moustache freebird!:D You can find Firehouse Wax online at firehousemoustachewax.com. He is a great guy, he's a fireman who makes the wax on the side. He has three kinds, light, dark, and wacky tacky. I use mostly wacky tacky because it doesn't get flaky like other waxes. It stays soft but holds really strong. I have tried alot of other kinds and it is by far the best I've tried. Far better than clubman or Oregon Wild Hair.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
LocktownDog said:
Ya know, Freebird, it can be bought directly from their website too. OregonWildHair

Alas, I started growing mine back a month ago but shaved it off last week. I don't know why. I had one for several years that rivaled the stashes you boys have grown. The fact that the recent regrowing was coming in grey might have deterred me for a while. :mad:

Richard

Bees wax, vasaline, and a brown crayon melted together and you will have a nicely waxed brown stache. Or for the even younger look a purple crayon:D

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Great looking staches, you guys.
How long (how much patience) do you have to have in order to grow them out ?
Mine starts to grow and it sticks straight out............bugs the heck outta me and then I trim it back down.

freebird

Practically Family
I don't have that problem. It usually takes roughly 6 months for me to get a decent stash, although I'm sure that that varies according to the person growing the stash. I know it's time to start applying wax when it gets long enough to impede my eating or drinking. :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
Bees wax, Vaseline, and a brown crayon melted together and you will have a nicely waxed brown stache. Or for the even younger look a purple crayon:D

I learned that one from the Handlebar Club as well. Your summer mix always needs to be heavier, or you'll have waxy cheeks.

Instead of brown crayon as a dye, I've added a little lavender oil for the smell, and a little aloe for softness.

I've used Clubman, various pomades (Murray's, Murray's Bees Wax, Sweet Georgia Brown, etc.), the Oregon, and others. None of them work as well as the one you customize to your needs. Plus, buying a little can of 'stache wax for $6 plus shipping is crazy when you can make a lifetime supply for less than $15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21