The Moustache

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Biltmore Bob, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Do you own a mustache cup?
    Mine is my favorite thing in the kitchen.

2. freebird

freebird Practically Family

no, I sure don't, I look at them on ebay on occasion, and usually they're classified as shaving mug/moustache cup, so I'm not sure if they are or they aren't lol

3. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Just look for the bar across the top, and be sure to spell mustache/moustache in as many ways as you can in your search.

4. WideBrimm

WideBrimm A-List Customer

You might try the Thrift Stores. Mustache cups can sometimes be found among the coffee mugs, and so can be purchased for anywhere from fifty cents to two dollars. They really don't have a clue as to what they are. :)

5. Micawber

Micawber A-List Customer

I am a member of the HBC :)

6. freebird

cool, I've always admired the guys in the HBC. I'll bet their meetings are quite a fun time.

7. Charlie Noodles

Charlie Noodles A-List Customer

I think I may have to get into making my own wax. I could use some and haven't seen any locally. And I don't feel like paying $40 shipping or so just to try a brand.

8. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Buy an old coffee pot at a thrift store.

After you've heated and stirred your mix, pour it into whatever you'll use as a dispenser - I used an old pellet can to hold what I'd carry, and an old film developing can for the supply at home. Some guys use empty chapstick containers.

You will not get all of the wax out of the pot. It's much easier to buy one that you plan to toss. Don't toss it until you've tried your wax a couple of times and determined that you like the viscosity. You can always reheat it and add more wax to thicken, or Vaseline to thin.

You might also consider making a mix for hot weather and one for cold. Summer wax will have more wax, so it doesn't melt all over your face.

9. freebird

one of the neighboring towns has a "traders day" on the first weekend of the month, during spring and summer. This was the first one I made this year, and happened to stop at a booth of a local soapmaker. I saw metal tins, and immediately thought moustache wax, but it wasn't, it was hand lotion for men. Anyway, I got to talking to her, and she was very interested in making wax, especially since next month is Cowboy Days in the same town, and she was trying to come up with something besides hand lotion and shaving soap for the guys. I volunteered to be a guinea pig lol, will see where this winds up. Might be interesting.

10. Alon

Alon One of the Regulars

Gents, I am going for a mustache and goatee in the style of Napoleon III:

[​IMG]

When not waxed, it looks quite bushy:

[​IMG]

My question is, how long do you think it will take to grow such a mustache? I posted my photo in the "What are you wearing today?" thread and that beard/mustache has taken about 2 months to grow. The mustache hair that is actually waxed to the side, is it hair that stems from the cheeks or is it hair that's just from above the lip area?

11. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

The growth, depends on the person as some people have fantasticly fast growth. I can't get access to your picture. Here is a recent one of mine and I have been working on it since October.
    [​IMG]
    The hairs above the lip are allowed to grow as long as they can and the moustache hairs are only allowed to grow to the corners of the mouth. The recent picture of me is unwaxed, but when waxed I do the entire moustache.

12. Alon

Alon One of the Regulars

Since October?!?! Good God, this will take me forever!

13. handlebar bart

Don't get discouraged. I think I have slow growth. Supposedly you should get 1/2" a month average.

14. Alon

Alon One of the Regulars

In the mustache or the beard? I find the mustache is growing much slower...

15. handlebar bart

Moustache, but the hairs above the lip that people normally keep short take longer. Some people are just genetic freaks and can grow insanely long staches quickly. I can't see your picture, but once the lip hairs get long enough to train to the side and not hang in your mouth it gets easier to live with

16. Slim Portly

Slim Portly One Too Many

My facial hair has always grown quite slowly, but for the past two months I have been growing out my mustache for the purpose of having the option of styling it into a handlebar. After reading the description of Clubman Moustache Wax on The Handlebar Club website I decided to give it a try. I have not yet worn the handlebar for more than a few minutes while seeing how it is progressing so I cannot testify as to the staying power of the wax, but I do feel that the moustache is coming along nicely.

Here is how it looks today when waxed and styled.

[​IMG]

17. moustache

moustache Practically Family

I love my handlebar!!!

Jim

18. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

Grown out for a minor part as Lew Wallace

Well, here's one taken that shows the "Lew Wallace" (New Mexico Governor; Civil War General and author of BEN HUR), beard and moustache I grew out. It's the only photo I have [​IMG]that really shows it.

19. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Slim, I've not read the other forums, but I think that is called a "Guardsman's" moustache. The most famous wearer of the Golden Era was the United States Secretary of state, Dean Achison. It was said that when the secretary walked to work (often in the company of his neighbor, Justice Brandeis), sometimes the moustache led the way.
    [​IMG]

20. Slim Portly

Slim Portly One Too Many

Scott, thank you for that information. I'll do a bit of research and see what else I can find.