Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Alexander .... 1st the Detroit (warning picture heavy)

Edward

Bartender
And Apple could build cheap computers. Then they'd be in the same boat as the rest of the crappy PC makers. Hey, the good stuff costs money - and there's a market for it as it sells. Not going to debate the merits of Japanese jackets or Apple's hardware, just an example...

Apple are a bit a a characateur of the same idea - there's people will buy any old, overpriced rubbish they slap their logo on. It's a simple fact that many products - the "designer" phenomenon - sell for a vastly higher price than others, simply off the back of branding. It's a marketing as luxury good thing. Gibson guitars do it too - their current CEO is on record as having openly said he doubled the price of a Les Paul and significantly upped sales because of the different value perception the higher price gave it in the market. Same thing at work here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Works both ways though: deep discounting makes me wonder about a. quality b. what are they paying their staff. And of course, what happens when you try to up your prices again...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Apple are a bit a a characateur of the same idea - there's people will buy any old, overpriced rubbish they slap their logo on. It's a simple fact that many products - the "designer" phenomenon - sell for a vastly higher price than others, simply off the back of branding. It's a marketing as luxury good thing. Gibson guitars do it too - their current CEO is on record as having openly said he doubled the price of a Les Paul and significantly upped sales because of the different value perception the higher price gave it in the market. Same thing at work here.

Yep - one of capitalism's oldest tricks. "It's expensive - it must be exclusive". Rolls Royce used to put up their price simply to remain one of the most expensive cars available.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
I am new to this scene so could someone please explain to me why there can be two manufacturers of similar quality, yet one of them is praised for the accuracy of their reproductions and the other mocked for simply ripping off designs?
This is not aimed at the Scottish troubles, but a general question.

majormajor

One Too Many
I am new to this scene so could someone please explain to me why there can be two manufacturers of similar quality, yet one of them is praised for the accuracy of their reproductions and the other mocked for simply ripping off designs?
This is not aimed at the Scottish troubles, but a general question.

Hi Mark. Welcome to the site.

Perhaps not the best time to try to explain this right now. History is always difficult to quantify when you are in the middle of it. Hindsight is better. So keep watching for the next month or so. All should become clear:D;)

I think all things will become more clear soon enough. If one keeps track of little details here and elsewhere, it all starts to make sense.
Interesting question Mark. But it seems obvious if one were to look at who's who, and who's new, and well, the offerings...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21