Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Alexander .... 1st the Detroit (warning picture heavy)

Plumbline

One Too Many
FIRST .. leave off on the company bashing .... if you're not here to comment on the jacket, then move on, there's nothing else to see here but MY NEW JACKET !!!!!:mad:

I've taken comments on board re. fit and went for a slim 44" ( this is a new direction for me) ..... feels very nice, a little strange .. fitted, a little like a suit jacket . I normally wear my jackets a little loose for most on here ..... this is fitted :D

Quality if construction .. INCREDIBLE .. I sent my own lining ( heavy blanket muted Stewart 100% wool soft, warm and completely NON-ITCHY) and asked for cord in the sleeves, brown moleskin pocket linings (throughout), cord bottom 1/4 and full sleeves, no storm cuffs and two inside pockets. Snaps on cuffs not buttons ( which can be a pain IMHO)

The vintage steer is soft and thick ... sort of like nubuck meets vintage leather ...... overall ... I REALLY like it. It's not 50's halfbelt fit, more 30's halfbelt fit.

IMG_0352_zps8f8e99db.jpg

IMG_0353_zpse039f6d5.jpg

IMG_0354_zps060bfcb5.jpg

IMG_0358_zps02bb42ad.jpg

IMG_0359_zps77f18f72.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
The zippers are now Talon and not YKK :)

IMG_0360_zpsbc8bf689.jpg

IMG_0361_zpsfcfe7643.jpg

IMG_0362_zps0e1b2572.jpg

I'm liking the new "Black Label" thing ....... and the pocket flaps ....... and mostly everything really :D :D

majormajor

One Too Many
A much better fit, PL.

I would pull in the side straps to give the back a little better shape;)

repo

Familiar Face
Looks good and perfect fit - do you normally take a 44" in other makes? How does the fit compare?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Hey Repo ... normally a 42 short suit ( pretty much a perfect fit off the peg). My Aero's are std. 44's ( Highwayman, 1950's Halfbelt, Californian sometimes with a little bit in the sleeve) except the overcoat styles e.g. Barnstormer, Stockman, Mariner and Cheyenne .... and sheepskins ... which I normally opt for a std. 42". I wear a std. 44" Eastman and Schott. Vanson is more variable depending on the style. Lewis is a std. 46" (man they're made small) and a short sleeve 46" in most A-2's.

It's a slim fitting 44" and it feels very fitted compared to a std 44" Aero but I don't have a slim Aero to compare it with .... I have a T-shirt and a sweatshirt on underneath .... and the arms are definately neater through their length. It's more of an Eastman fit than an Aero fit ( if that makes any sort of sense). The Bi-swing gives just enough room to move and it should be great to break in.

As I say it's a very different style for me ( shortish and fitted) ..... but I blame you guys :D

schitzo

Suspended
how about the hide on this one PL is it midweight or a bit heavier? What say you

Whatever it is it looks pretty good from here

Plumbline

One Too Many
This is about the same as the Chocolate ... 1.5-1.75mm .... really nice VERY similar to Oilpull Steer from Aero.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Love the tartan you supplied for the lining!! Perfect complement to the color of the hide.

Just checked the AL site; the price of their Introductory Offers has dropped by a third, from £450 to £300. Wonder what's up with that.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Plumb, very nice fit and finish on this jacket, It appears you hit the sweet spot for us FL crowd..take note as it conforms to your shape, you may find this more fitted size more appealing. Congrats x2

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket and perfect fit.
Just wondering why you went with Courderoy in the sleeves?
Doesn't that make it difficult to slip your arms in?
Lenny

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
12 posts until we hit the Aero vs. AL stuff again.
Give it a rest folks, some of couldn't give a monkey's about it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Only if I have long sleeves :D ... I had the cord in my Aero LHB and it's really warm and once it beds in a bit isn't so grabby, it just feels nice.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Seemed to be the same jacket on different people a lot of the time. There was what looked like an Aero 50s HB De luxe on several. I can't see an AL version on their site so I assume it must be an Aero one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just checked the AL site; the price of their Introductory Offers has dropped by a third, from £450 to £300. Wonder what's up with that.

Who cares ... just means there's a few mega bargains to be had for the brave ... that's a stonking price for their jackets. That's cheaper than an ebay Aero .... for a brand new jacket ...... off to have a look, toodle pip :D :D :D :D

Edward

Bartender
Love the tartan you supplied for the lining!! Perfect complement to the color of the hide.

Yes, these are really nice linings. I've often toyed with the idea of a Perfecto style, cut a little boxy, with a heavy blanket lining.

According to their site: "We at Alexander Leathers have updated our label design and therefore we have decided to discount all our jackets with old labels." Seems a very deep discount for the sake of a label - I'd have thought that would be easily switched out, but I don't claim any expertise - maybe that involved taking out the lining a bit again so as not to stitch through the leather, and AlexCo don't consider it worth the time it would take for staff.

I wonder what cost is on these.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I don't actually like the look of most of the leather, or the designs. The 20's half belt excepted. The HH is mid weight and most of the steer looks matt and slightly odd in the pictures. At the full price they're only £25 cheaper than Aero's European steer, and a bit cheaper then mid weight HH too. i wonder where they're sourcing their hides from?

I see Aero is heavily promoting the 4oz chrome steer now too. I do like the look of it but having had a sample sent to me I don't think I could hack it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner