Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Alexander .... 1st the Detroit (warning picture heavy)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Another great fit, again a very neat looking back. I have a sample of this hide and it does have a newbuck like nap to it. My only concern would be how easily it stains, anything with grease on it would permanently mark it - careful when eating your chips :) Good looking half belt, enjoy!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Another great fit, again a very neat looking back. I have a sample of this hide and it does have a newbuck like nap to it. My only concern would be how easily it stains, anything with grease on it would permanently mark it - careful when eating your chips :) Good looking half belt, enjoy!

That is my concern as well. I think of the few deerskin jackets I've seen and they stain very easily.

I have an e-mail out to Alexander Leathers to check the measurements of 2 of their special offer jackets. Can't beat the price.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have a suspicion that it will wear to a polished finish ... Especially if I rubbed it with some pecards or renapur or such like. A bit like the aero oil pull from a few years ago went ! In any case I'm sure my chips will only add character :)

IXL

One Too Many
12 posts until we hit the Aero vs. AL stuff again.
Give it a rest folks, some of couldn't give a monkey's about it...

As far as I can tell, the only comparison being discussed by the 12th post is that both parties turn up the cuffs on their jacket sleeves, and one of the jackets happens to be an Aero.
I fail to see how one could construe this to be a "versus" type of posting.

schitzo

Suspended
As far as I can tell, the only comparison being discussed by the 12th post is that both parties turn up the cuffs on their jacket sleeves, and one of the jackets happens to be an Aero.
I fail to see how one could construe this to be a "versus" type of posting.

perhaps there was some BS that got deleted for being BS?

IXL

One Too Many
perhaps there was some BS that got deleted for being BS?

Well, that would put a whole different spin on things and I would feel a quite a lot better about the crew around here, and...all except the part where I turn out to be a moron....... :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, now I am curious to know what was said in the real #12 slot before Worf slipped into it.:D

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I see you're rolling up the sleeves like I do on my Aero "Graeme". Works for me too.

The sleeve length on Plumbline's Detroit appear to be about the same length as those on the half-belt recently posted up by Radz108. For wearing sleeves with button cuffs and that kind of length, I do prefer to see them rolled up as the two of you have done.

Last edited:

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
What hide is that then Swooshed? I hope you are getting value for your dollars you capitalist American pig! :D

hey there! i pride myself in being an american capitalist pig:p anyway, i got a sample from amanda thats a realy nice choclate brown analine steer awesome undertones and grain. no finishes on top, has a great potential for the kind of look i like. got the arkansas in my measurements with a couple of inches added on the bottom.

schitzo

Suspended
hey there! i pride myself in being an american capitalist pig:p anyway, i got a sample from amanda thats a realy nice choclate brown analine steer awesome undertones and grain. no finishes on top, has a great potential for the kind of look i like. got the arkansas in my measurements with a couple of inches added on the bottom.

Good shout. The roadster, Dakota and Arkansas are the three I like best atm. If that is the same chocolate brown as the heavy grainy steer I agree it's a great deep colour

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Well, now I am curious to know what was said in the real #12 slot before Worf slipped into it.:D

Just the usual 'oo there's an AL jacket, must try to drag in a tenuous link to plug Aero and run down the pattern as a copy', you know the jive...
Wish I had the 'yawn' smiley on this phone...

Last edited:

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Good shout. The roadster, Dakota and Arkansas are the three I like best atm. If that is the same chocolate brown as the heavy grainy steer I agree it's a great deep colour

the colour is similar, but the finish is different. i have samples of both, the chocolate is very much like the FQHH we all know but darker.

Edward

Bartender
IMG_0358_zps02bb42ad.jpg

Nice lining. I see. like Aero, they've moved away from the leather strip at the rear?

schitzo

Suspended
the colour is similar, but the finish is different. i have samples of both, the chocolate is very much like the FQHH we all know but darker.

Sounds tasty, I'll look forward to seeing your photos

And on that note does anyone know how many can be attached per post?

Last edited:
Just the usual 'oo there's an AL jacket, must try to drag in a tenuous link to plug Aero and run down the pattern as a copy', you know the jive...
Wish I had the 'yawn' smiley on this phone...

It's you Dr H.
Every time you read "Aero" mentioned anywhere on the FL..you tend to bristle up unable to contain yourself. Just the same as one or two members that eventually come unglued over anything 'Alexander'. Worf is of course blameless..innocent...with no editing needed to his post.
Relax..chill. 'Aero' is mentioned often since many own them..like them..happily wear them...and compare them.

HD

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I looked at the AL 'introductory offers' page the other day and at the price I really couldn't resist going over to the dark side to get one. I bought a 4 Pocket Roadster in black goat. They shortened the sleeves a little bit and it was sent the day after I bought it. So excellent service there.

Impressions are that it's a well made jacket as you would expect, and the hide is thick and good quality. About the same weight and feel as an Eastman M422 I have and a nice tight grain. It's 44" but measures exactly the same as my 42" HWM except for the shoulders which are almost half an inch wider. A better fit for me as it happens since the HWM can be a bit tight there with even a light jumper. So essentially they've sized down one size. One difference is that there is no makers slip anywhere in the pockets.

I don't think that these offers have anything to do with old labels though since the offer jackets are missing a couple of small features which are standard on the full price ones. This has no inside pocket which is listed as standard at the full price, cotton hand warmer pocket instead of moleskin, and a YKK zip instead of a Talon. That has a kind of skeletal pull which I don't like much, and the hide has a very small area of scarring at the back. Just a couple of little marks a couple of mm across. Nothing really, but they and another tiny blemish on a top pocket might not have passed muster at the full price. So these are slightly cost cutting jackets being run off to keep the cash flow moving I would think. But at the price I'm not complaining.

The fit is very good and it's a smart looking jacket and very easy and comfortable right out of the box. The only thing I'm not really sure about is the black goat hide. Goat is very hard wearing and water resistant, useful where I live, and good skin to wear for comfort and great for cooler summer days. But had there been a steer option in this style I might have gone with that, and now a couple of days later there is. So Sod's Third Law again. The one he won the Noble prize for.

Today I see they have listed almost their full range at the introductory price of £300 so some very nice jackets at bargain prices. If they could make jackets in Horween's FQHH at a keen price it would be the icing on the cake. But I don't suppose they will be doing that. Their challenge will be to move people on from the offer price to the full price jackets I suspect. Anyway good luck to them. I'm a long standing Aero customer but I don't wish them any ill and this is a nice jacket which I am happy with.

Last edited:

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
i think the new "limited" roadster in very heavy steer is the hide i got the sample of that there making my jacket from, looks like it from the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points